Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

RUN. HIDE. FIGHT. Surviving an Active Shooter Event

Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
RUN. HIDE. FIGHT. Surviving an Active Shooter Event

In light of our recent tragedy here, in Aurora, CO. I wanted to pass this video along. Hopefully, it'll open up the eyes of some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSw...layer_embedded
Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
interesting lil vid, good info
Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Hiding and then running is the only way my co-worker made it out... and he was still shot twice.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Hide.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
If i remember , there was a teacher in the Columbine shooting that went out to see what the hell was going on, he was shot and retreated back into the class, only to have his kids watch him pass away. They called 911 many times begging for help but the police didn't enter the school or get to him in time. I know the police have to follow protocol and EMS can't go into the line of fire, so I would put fight on the top of the list. Where I work we are told not to do anything, but my survival , be it fight or flight is my own decision, to hell with the job. And I prey I will never have to make that choice.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
does the vid mention the best defense = avoid CPZ's whenever possible?...
Old 08-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
skammer is on a distinguished road
skammer's Tacoma Gallery
My thoughts:

Good video. People need to think about this stuff and practice, just like we used to have fire drills in school. People need to be more aware of their surroundings.

Be aggressive. Most of these active shooters are cowards. They don't expect someone to stand up to them. They have this glorified, superhero idea of how it is going to go down. Nobody rushed the guy at the theater in Colorado. His weapon jammed, and he walked outside and sat down. If one off duty cop had been in there, and was armed (like they should be), or someone with a carry license, many lives could have been saved. Sure, the suspect had on body armor, but I bet he would have shit himself if someone started blasting back.

If you do have a carry license, CARRY! Guns are so light and small now, it's easy, and it's like carrying your cell phone. If you don't have on, GET ONE. If your family questions why you need to carry to church, the movies, or any other calm event, simply point out that those are where these things happen. If you carry concealed correctly, they won't even realize you have it anyways.

In most shootings, people hide. That's fine, but you are really putting a lot of trust in law enforcement response time and training. Not always a good idea. Most departments, with current budget cuts, are understaffed, and under trained. That SWAT team shown in the video, clearing the building, would take hours to mobilize in most towns. The first cops on scene are probably out of shape, and armed with poorly maintained handguns. Don't wait on the government to save you. Complain about taxes, but you get what you pay for.

Some people see something like this on the news and say, "Thank god I wasn't there".

Others say, "I wish I had been there. I could have done something".
Old 08-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Little off topic but i drove by the theater the other day and its really erie man, Just to think about it... The immense presence of supporters and the crime scene tape... Its all just a crazy thing to imagine. I think we can all say what we "think" we would do, But honestly unless youve had years of training, And even then, I dont know you ever know until you are actually in such a situation. I could sit here all day and night and say hell yah if i was there i would have pulled my open carry 9mm and proceeded to fire several shots at the shooter, But who knows, that might be exactly what i do, Or maybe i get trigger scared, or im placed in a situation where i freeze. Nobody can say what they would do, You only know for sure by being placed in the situation in my opinion. Either way i pray to see the scumbag James Holmes lethally injected with the states finest cocktail of death. How does that guy sleep at night knowing he ruined so many lives, and that there are so many people out there that would pay to see him tourtured Severely... Sad really to see such a bright mind go to waste.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skammer View Post
My thoughts:

Good video. People need to think about this stuff and practice, just like we used to have fire drills in school. People need to be more aware of their surroundings.

Be aggressive. Most of these active shooters are cowards. They don't expect someone to stand up to them. They have this glorified, superhero idea of how it is going to go down. Nobody rushed the guy at the theater in Colorado. His weapon jammed, and he walked outside and sat down. If one off duty cop had been in there, and was armed (like they should be), or someone with a carry license, many lives could have been saved. Sure, the suspect had on body armor, but I bet he would have shit himself if someone started blasting back.

If you do have a carry license, CARRY! Guns are so light and small now, it's easy, and it's like carrying your cell phone. If you don't have on, GET ONE. If your family questions why you need to carry to church, the movies, or any other calm event, simply point out that those are where these things happen. If you carry concealed correctly, they won't even realize you have it anyways.

In most shootings, people hide. That's fine, but you are really putting a lot of trust in law enforcement response time and training. Not always a good idea. Most departments, with current budget cuts, are understaffed, and under trained. That SWAT team shown in the video, clearing the building, would take hours to mobilize in most towns. The first cops on scene are probably out of shape, and armed with poorly maintained handguns. Don't wait on the government to save you. Complain about taxes, but you get what you pay for.

Some people see something like this on the news and say, "Thank god I wasn't there".

Others say, "I wish I had been there. I could have done something".
I live in CO (25mins from our tragedy) and carry everywhere (concealed) where I legally can.
I do, however have to disagree with having an armed person there would have been more lives saved. No one can guarantee that. Imagine yourself in there, active shooter begins living out his plan and hundreds of bodies running in front of, to the side of and behind Mr Holmes.
Unfortunately, many holders aren't trained well enough to make a clear decision. You have to knows what's on the side of, in front of, and behind your target....it was all unorganized panic.
Sure, I would have done something; what idk. I'd do anything I could to protect my wife, child and anyone else I can possibly help to safety.

There are a lot of's should have, could have, would have, etc but unless you were there....
Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
Little off topic but i drove by the theater the other day and its really erie man, Just to think about it... The immense presence of supporters and the crime scene tape... Its all just a crazy thing to imagine. I think we can all say what we "think" we would do, But honestly unless youve had years of training, And even then, I dont know you ever know until you are actually in such a situation. I could sit here all day and night and say hell yah if i was there i would have pulled my open carry 9mm and proceeded to fire several shots at the shooter, But who knows, that might be exactly what i do, Or maybe i get trigger scared, or im placed in a situation where i freeze. Nobody can say what they would do, You only know for sure by being placed in the situation in my opinion. Either way i pray to see the scumbag James Holmes lethally injected with the states finest cocktail of death. How does that guy sleep at night knowing he ruined so many lives, and that there are so many people out there that would pay to see him tourtured Severely... Sad really to see such a bright mind go to waste.
X2..and your thoughts on how to proceed with Mr Holmes is too generous. I think they should cut off his limbs and let him run until one of catches him...

I too went to the theatre the following week after the incident took place. Sad sight.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
There are a lot of's should have, could have, would have, etc but unless you were there....
Pretty much this.

...Assault rifle fire in a dark auditorium with 90+ Db of action movie going on... while gas grenades are going off...

The shooters gun jams before you even know whats going on...

The people who survived are very lucky. No one there could've taken this guy out, before he killed as many people as he did. Most of the people who hid and protected other people are the ones who survived.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm all in for carrying where you can, but think about this. Once you fire, you are likely the next target. No room for error and a whole lot of things that can go wrong.

Also, assault rifle vs my 9mm. Not good odds.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
I'm all in for carrying where you can, but think about this. Once you fire, you are likely the next target. No room for error and a whole lot of things that can go wrong.

Also, assault rifle vs my 9mm. Not good odds.
...you're right, not a good situation, ...but certainly much better than being totally helpless...
Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
skammer is on a distinguished road
skammer's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone here seems to be on the same page. A lot of "What if". We can armchair quarterback this tragedy forever.

Nobody knows how they would react in a situation like this.

People need to think about it. Think that this could happen to you. Thinking is a form of training. Have a plan. It's that easy. Discuss it with your loved ones. "What would we do if such and such happens?" Just like a fire drill discussion. Run? Hide? Fight?

I will not be killed without giving every effort there is to stay alive.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
That was a good video, I will not go down without a fight.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
i'd fight to my death to save others.... good video