1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Comcast, DirectTV, Dish or Other? Internet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by x2468, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    x2468

x2468 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Moving to a new city and my roomates and I are debating the whole Comcast, DirectTV, Dish dilemna, and what we should use for TV and Internet (don't need voice because it's 2012...). I personally like Comcast internet and DirectTV because that's what my parents have, but obviously they are in a better financial situation that I. Comcast makes things pretty simple with internet and tv bundled together..... but comcasts Xfinity seems like it has a lot of growing pains. IDK....

Anyway, what are you usuing? what do you pay? What set up do you have? (multi-room DVR, bare bones circa 1999 package, etc). If you are using a dish service, what are you using for Internet? ATT Uverse?

As far as ATT goes, i don't know anything about them, but my roomate hates them because he went with them when they first came out and when he had to leave his apartment they stuck him with a $1000 cancelation + Misc. fees :confused::eek: so that's out of the question....

2. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    we have DirectTV and ATT for internet. like them both. when we first moved (march of ’08) we had some problems with setting the internet up. but it’s all good! most our problems wear with the password to allow computers to use it. but all is good now.

edit: my brother hates Comcast. his bill for internet, tv and he had to add history channel and natgeo(and a few other channels he wanted). his bill was never the same every month. him and his gf got a house and he refuses to get use comcast for anything ever agin.

3. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I use Comcast and pay $140 for digital and internet. I've never had any issues.

4. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    This is more or less the same for me. The Internet is smoking fast, the HD selection is not bad at all, and always growing. But the kicker is, no one's On Demand is as good as Comcast. Dish doesn't carry, A&E any longer, so no Breaking Bad or Hell on Wheels.

5. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Our local cable company is Charter, and until a few months ago we used them for Internet and phone and had DirecTV. Charter TV sucked, which is why we went with DirecTV.

A few months ago we switched to UVerse to save money, and at first had some issues due to incomplete installation. They were really pissing me off. After a couple more visits they finally got it right, and we haven't had any real issues since.

We are saving about $40 a month right now, but the price will go up once our 1 year contract is up. Depending on the difference, I will probably switch back to DirecTV and Charter. I loved DirecTV, and Charter's internet was rock solid and super fast. Uverse is not impressing me and is "just enough".

6. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Superdavert

Superdavert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Athens, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SB
    MB Legacy wheels 285/70 17 BFG KO2s ProComp 2" leveling kit, Foglight anytime mod, Sockmonkey TRD Sport bedside decals, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Toyota bed extender, Aries black nerf bars, Pop & Lock
    We have DirecTV and AT&T for Internet. Had this set up for almost 7 years. No problems. The guy who put the dish up did a great job and I rarely have issues when it rains or snows. I switch to U-verse for two weeks. I hated it. It was awsome when it worked. Once their "inside" and "outside" people got thier crap together, they determined my 20 year old phone lines couldn't handle the bandwidth.

7. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I've had Dish for many years and never had any issues with my service. I know there are a lot of people that say DirecTV is better but I've dealt with Direct and I like my Dish better.

8. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    we have Dish network for the tv stuff and Comcast for the internet

9. Aug 6, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    I have Directv and Time Warner Cable for internet. Got an awesome priced of $29.99 for 2 yrs with Directv which includes pretty much all the channels you could want. I have HBO pkg which is $16/month extra and for TV/internet combined I pay about $85/month

10. Aug 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    Time Warner internet has been pretty well so far. Dish network TV not so, they do not treat us good at all guess its cause we have the cheapest package. The Embarq people wanted here at my old apartment for DSL $30 one-time setup fee for my telephone line plus $25 a month for the phone line and then $50 a month for the DSL I laughed then left.

11. Aug 8, 2012 at 2:37 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    If you can bundle both I would get the broadband and cable from the same company. Probably will be cheaper that way and you will only have to deal with one company. Unfortunatley I cannot do that, we have no cable provider where I live so we have Direct tv which is really good except during a thunderstorm and Verizon DSL. Dealing with direct tv is easy dealing with Verizon is another story, but are dsl is pretty good, I wouldn't get satellite internet as I have heard it stinks.

Products Discussed in

To Top