LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Street Cameras???

Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
The Past Through Tomorrow
JohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny
JohnnyWayne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
Plus, if you're trying to do what you're supposed to do, you don't need to cover your plate.
By the same train of thought I should have no problem with being followed wherever I go in public, amirite? Pretty sure there are laws against stalkers and I'm not against law enforcement doing their job but the question becomes where does the line get drawn.

No need to cover it:
http://www.phantomplate.org/index.htm
Old 08-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWayne View Post
By the same train of thought I should have no problem with being followed wherever I go in public, amirite? Pretty sure there are laws against stalkers and I'm not against law enforcement doing their job but the question becomes where does the line get drawn.

No need to cover it:
Your example really isn't related to what I posted. You have a license plate, in which the sole purpose is to identify your vehicle from other vehicles, and you're covering it up. That's alot different than someone following you in public.

As for your license plate spray, Mythbusters has already proven it doesn't work. The red light cameras we have are in a seperate location from the flash, so the flash doesn't reflect towards the camera.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/03/e...g_patches.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/my...d-cameras.html

All this being said, I don't like red light cameras issuing tickets. I think an officer should be observing traffic violations in person.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
Tasty fish in a tortilla
SalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
SalmonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
In Seattle we have photo-enforced stoplights all over the place. About a week after I got my truck I went through a yellow light (really dark yellow, pretty much red) and got a sweet picture of my new Taco in the mail along with my ticked for running a red light.

I'm 100% sure they do work, and it is not worth being an idiot and running red lights. You can get off easy like I did with a fine, or you could cause some serious damage to yourself, you truck, or another person.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Also there is thing about super magnets stuck to the bike that makes you more detectable for the sensor.
They don't do anything but if you look at the instructions on the devices, you'll see instructions on where to ride to to "make it work best". I bought one and tested it out. I went to a known good light that easily trips with my bike on the left edge. I took the magnet device and held it about 1-2 inches above the road and ran it up the side like I would normally ride. Since the device normally would sit about 8"-10" above the ground when mounted on the bike, the magnetic field from the magnet would have been 8-16 times stronger when placed 1-2 inches off the ground (magnetic fields decay at a square of the distance). If it has any impact at 8-10 inches up, it should have major impact at 1-2 inches. The device did nothing on a known working light.

Here are the instructions that usually work for me. They were given to me by a retired CHP motorcycle cop (I took his advanced MSF class):

There are four types of road sensors that you can sometimes see in the road, circles, squares, diamonds and two long parallel rectangles. On every type but the rectangles, ride your wheels over the left-most edge and stop over the last one. For the two parallel rectangles, ride right up the middle where they join.

If you can't see the elements (got paved over or something) ride up the left edge as those are usually more common.

If it's a stop light you frequently encounter, call the city and have them turn up the intensity.

The "proceed with caution" advice can vary from state to state. Some don't allow it.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12DblCab View Post
Guaranteed ticket from me. If anything limits the visibility of your license plate, I write it (excluding regular license plate frames that might unintentionally cover expiration or something). I've seen a few of the plates you posted where I couldn't read the plate being in the lane next to them due to the angle. Tinted plate covers = ticket also.
Then I suppose it's fortunate we haven't crossed paths. A ticket for running a red light or speeding is more severe than improper display of plate, which is a non-moving violation. That said, I've used polarized covers for over 10 years without any cops paying attention to them.

Quote:
Plus, if you're trying to do what you're supposed to do, you don't need to cover your plate.
The automated enforcement devices (red light cameras, speed cameras) make mistakes as shown in SalmonTaco's post \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonTaco View Post
In Seattle we have photo-enforced stoplights all over the place. About a week after I got my truck I went through a yellow light (really dark yellow, pretty much red) and got a sweet picture of my new Taco in the mail along with my ticked for running a red light.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWayne View Post

No need to cover it:
Those sprays do not work!! They are rip offs, you need a clear cover with some sort of reflective prisms or such in them. There is a speed camera device in europe that allows you to fool the camera by sending back a signal that your doing the speed limit (set via a knob on the unit in your dash). But no one in America has tested one yet for over here (they are $600 roughly). I've been researching passive radar jammers for awhile now, laser jamming is legal but k-band jamming is illegal according to FCC.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (hopefully LEO will chime in), but I heard that some of the red light cameras are not through the city or Police, but instead a 3rd party company. And when you receive the ticket in the mail, your $ goes to them and not the city, and that in the end, you don't have to pay for a ticket at all.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar...meras-20120329

Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (hopefully LEO will chime in), but I heard that some of the red light cameras are not through the city or Police, but instead a 3rd party company. And when you receive the ticket in the mail, your $ goes to them and not the city, and that in the end, you don't have to pay for a ticket at all.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar...meras-20120329

Thoughts?
The companies have a contract and it looks by that link you posted that the cameras are working and fewer people are being ticketed to they cannot afford the system now, thats what I figure.

Quote:
But the department's net revenue from the program declined from $107,192 in September 2011 to $7,452 in January 2012.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
The companies have a contract and it looks by that link you posted that the cameras are working and fewer people are being ticketed to they cannot afford the system now, thats what I figure.
Then wouldn't they just take the cameras down? My city used to have those cameras and when they couldnt afford to pay the company anymore, all of the cameras in the entire city were removed
Old 08-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #30
that was'nt a vitamin!!

pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Then wouldn't they just take the cameras down? My city used to have those cameras and when they couldnt afford to pay the company anymore, all of the cameras in the entire city were removed
Well you know how cities like to do things that don't make sense....hehehehe
Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #31
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Put down your kick stand. I have 2 lights around me that refuse to detect me.
Works much more consistently. Asked 2 cops about this and asked if I could proceede with caution after an extended stop. One said yes, one no. Figures...
So I just turn right and go up the street and turn around back to the intersection and make another right.
Also there is thing about super magnets stuck to the bike that makes you more detectable for the sensor.
I work late at night so when I ride home, the timers are usually off and most intersections rely on sensors. Some dont pick up my bike so I usually proceed through the red after clearly checking to make sure nobody is around. If I ever do get stopped though, it will make for one interesting night. If I am on my way home from work, my duty belt including taser, gun, etc, will be in my backpack... so getting stopped in the middle of the night for blowing a red light, then explaining that I have a firearm in my backpack will surely make for a not-so fun filled evening. Then telling the officer that I am wearing a bullet-proof vest.. hah... its only going downhill from there
Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #32
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
They don't do anything but if you look at the instructions on the devices, you'll see instructions on where to ride to to "make it work best". I bought one and tested it out. I went to a known good light that easily trips with my bike on the left edge. I took the magnet device and held it about 1-2 inches above the road and ran it up the side like I would normally ride. Since the device normally would sit about 8"-10" above the ground when mounted on the bike, the magnetic field from the magnet would have been 8-16 times stronger when placed 1-2 inches off the ground (magnetic fields decay at a square of the distance). If it has any impact at 8-10 inches up, it should have major impact at 1-2 inches. The device did nothing on a known working light.

Here are the instructions that usually work for me. They were given to me by a retired CHP motorcycle cop (I took his advanced MSF class):

There are four types of road sensors that you can sometimes see in the road, circles, squares, diamonds and two long parallel rectangles. On every type but the rectangles, ride your wheels over the left-most edge and stop over the last one. For the two parallel rectangles, ride right up the middle where they join.

If you can't see the elements (got paved over or something) ride up the left edge as those are usually more common.

If it's a stop light you frequently encounter, call the city and have them turn up the intensity.

The "proceed with caution" advice can vary from state to state. Some don't allow it.
Yea I saw those magnets being advertised and I didn't think they would work.
Calling the city is a joke.
I find if I do stop in the right area it still won't switch but will if I throw my kickstand down in that area. Might be coincidence but just want I have observed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
I work late at night so when I ride home, the timers are usually off and most intersections rely on sensors. Some dont pick up my bike so I usually proceed through the red after clearly checking to make sure nobody is around. If I ever do get stopped though, it will make for one interesting night. If I am on my way home from work, my duty belt including taser, gun, etc, will be in my backpack... so getting stopped in the middle of the night for blowing a red light, then explaining that I have a firearm in my backpack will surely make for a not-so fun filled evening. Then telling the officer that I am wearing a bullet-proof vest.. hah... its only going downhill from there
You Think ???? Hehehe
I try to avoid the lights but sometimes I can't. So I do the left turn, turn around,left turn. Wait for a car to sneak up behind me or just run it after a cycle.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Aren't you supposed to treat red lights like stop signs in downtown Detroit?