Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Street Cameras???

Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Street Cameras???

Of course everyone is able to identify red light cameras, but I'm kind of confused about regular surveillance traffic cameras that is mounted next to the traffic lights but don't flash. What's the main purpose of these cameras? Are these cameras recording 24/7? Can fines be issued through the use of these cameras? Just curious because I hate slamming on my brakes when the stupid light turns yellow just before you hit the intersection that is equipped with these stupid cameras.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
I bring the feel goods w/a heavy load of sarcasm
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
You can't ticket a yellow light. but if it turns red before your front bumper hits the intersection then that's a ticket if you decide to take the yellow.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Let me clarify myself, the kind of situation when it's a yellow light and just before you think you can pass that line, the light turns red. You either try to allow yourself some time to stop or gun it and hope you make it before that light turns red. With bigger tires on, I usually don't enjoy trying to stop for that yellow light.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
You can't ticket a yellow light. but if it turns red before your front bumper hits the intersection then that's a ticket if you decide to take the yellow.
Tell that to the cops here lol, damn lady ticketed me when I was almost crossing other sides line when it turned red, f&%@ing c!@#

Those cameras are for traffic monitoring or some homeland security crap to invade your privacy yakno.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
The camera in your picture can NOT be used for ticketing reasons. It is simply big brother with eyes in the sky. Traffic monitoring and such. Only be worried about the ones that are obvious like with signs to advise you "photo enforced" and with big lights to flash.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
I have no clue what those cameras do, but I would like to think they aid in keeping the flow of traffic going (they can detect cars stopped at a light so the intersection knows it is time to change who has a green).
Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Cameras are for traffic and accident recording. They can not read license plates or ticket you. The video usually goes to a database and gets stored for a period of time.

Some are also used for zone detection or sensing vehicles at the intersection. Thoes are usually at larger intersections. Basically when a car comes in sight it flips the switch in the controler.

Only red light cameras, the big boxes mounted on the post at the corners of the intersection can read license plates along with speed traps.

My dad is a electrcal/traffic engineer.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
but I would like to think they aid in keeping the flow of traffic going (they can detect cars stopped at a light so the intersection knows it is time to change who has a green).
There's sensors in the concrete for that.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
IronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Bad Cop, No Donut!
IronPig's Tacoma Gallery
A few of you have it correct. The pic shown is NOT a red light camera and citations for running a red can not be issued by the camera in the pic. That camera and the way it is mounted appears to be a traffic sensor. Yes, there are usually sensors in the ground to trigger the light, but some intersections have the photo sensors. They are cheaper as you do not have to tear up the roadway. Slim chance it is a surveillance camera, but CalTrans sometimes puts up pole cams to see what is going on on freeways etc. If you REALLY want to find out, blow the intersection agains the red and see what happens!! (Bad idea, don't do that....!!)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
There's sensors in the concrete for that.
Me idiot.

When riding my mc, I usually have to put one wheel on the cracks of the sensors in the street so the light will recognize me.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #12

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPig View Post
That camera and the way it is mounted appears to be a traffic sensor. Yes, there are usually sensors in the ground to trigger the light, but some intersections have the photo sensors.
Maybe me not idiot.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
probably for CALTRANS or LEO, traffic monitoring... probably one of many feeds to a command center...
Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
As said loop detectors are not always in the ground any longer.
Aerial loops are replacing them.
Cheaper to install & service, more vehicle friendly especially for vehicles with less metal, high clearance, motorcycles...
Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A few of you have it correct. The pic shown is NOT a red light camera and citations for running a red can not be issued by the camera in the pic. That camera and the way it is mounted appears to be a traffic sensor. Yes, there are usually sensors in the ground to trigger the light, but some intersections have the photo sensors. They are cheaper as you do not have to tear up the roadway. Slim chance it is a surveillance camera, but CalTrans sometimes puts up pole cams to see what is going on on freeways etc. If you REALLY want to find out, blow the intersection agains the red and see what happens!! (Bad idea, don't do that....!!)
This. They don't work well in pouring down rain, though. The inground ones don't work well for motorcycles.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bender581's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A few of you have it correct. The pic shown is NOT a red light camera and citations for running a red can not be issued by the camera in the pic. That camera and the way it is mounted appears to be a traffic sensor. Yes, there are usually sensors in the ground to trigger the light, but some intersections have the photo sensors. They are cheaper as you do not have to tear up the roadway.
I think the "camera" traffic sensors get confused. Early in the morning when the sun is shining through the trees and casting a shadow of the tree on the traffic lane, the optical sensor thinks there is a car sitting there and keeps the light green until the time default triggers the light. This only happens on bright sunny mornings at certains times of the years.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
These types of cameras are just for monitoring traffic. They are all over my city. You can even go to a website for my city and watch them on your computer.

http://traffic.roseville.ca.us/roseville/

Watch Cal Trans Cameras here.

http://video.dot.ca.gov/
Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Me idiot.

When riding my mc, I usually have to put one wheel on the cracks of the sensors in the street so the light will recognize me.
Put down your kick stand. I have 2 lights around me that refuse to detect me.
Works much more consistently. Asked 2 cops about this and asked if I could proceede with caution after an extended stop. One said yes, one no. Figures...
So I just turn right and go up the street and turn around back to the intersection and make another right.
Also there is thing about super magnets stuck to the bike that makes you more detectable for the sensor.