Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

College Degree/Career???

Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
College Degree/Career???

So I've been going to school now for a lil over a year for Mech Engineering, but sadly after doing late research found out that most of them spend about 95% of their time behind a computer. I have very little interest in doing that, I love the whole design aspect of that and love working with my hands but I'm having trouble finding a degree/career path that will allow me to use both of those and still make good money. I've had structural engineering suggested to me but I'm just looking to see what else is out there before this semester starts. Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
You could do lots of hands on things with a meche degree. I work with a bunch of test engineers that deal with high explosive tests and many of them have degrees in meche or structrual engineering. Tons of hands on work there.

Basically having a degree in Meche is very broad and you have the freedom to do many different things. I would stick it out and see what becomes of it.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Goose
h.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to beholdh.zack801 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zack
h.zack801's Tacoma Gallery
Not all engineers, especially mechanicals, sit behind a computer all the time. It depends on what type of industry you're in and where at in the company you are. Not sure how many people you have talked to but...

I am also in school for MechE. About halfway done from my BS. During that time I have worked as an HVAC mechanic at the university. We have a couple MechEs that run things and they never sit at a computer. Always out looking and drawing new fixes for things. We've had some contracting engineers come in too to help with renovations of our water systems. They said they're always out in the field being involved.

Do they get dirty? Eh, not really. Do they sit at a desk all day? No. It'll be different everywhere you go. And though it isn't all about the money, stick with it. You'll be making a killing if you play your cards right and you can get dirty and all hands-on with your trucks and toys if you so choose.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a double in Aerospace and Mech Eng and I can tell you, it depends on your position, where you work, and what field. I work in aerospace, and I have managed to get myself into a position where I use my hands all day. To give you an idea, out of the 100+ engineers that work at my location, I am the only one allowed to wear jeans and a t-shirt everyday. I am allowed to do this because I always get so dirty and covered in grease that I don't want to wear nice dress clothes. I love my job.

As ppl have said, test engineers do a lot of hands on (mech degree can get you into test eng). I am technically a systems eng, however I do a lot of test, assembly, design, etc.

Stick with it.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
So I've been going to school now for a lil over a year for Mech Engineering, but sadly after doing late research found out that most of them spend about 95% of their time behind a computer. I have very little interest in doing that, I love the whole design aspect of that and love working with my hands but I'm having trouble finding a degree/career path that will allow me to use both of those and still make good money. I've had structural engineering suggested to me but I'm just looking to see what else is out there before this semester starts. Thanks
I have a friend that was a MechE and now does naval weapons testing. How can you get a better job than that.

I was graduating college with a ComputerE degree in 2003. The job market was shit for me, but MechE's were still getting job and had a placement rate in the 80% range while CprE's were in the 45% range.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a few friend who work with their hands who are ME. They work on a few different tools at a semiconductor plant for the EE's.

I too am currently in school for ME, not sure what I plan on doing after I graduate. But to be honest with you I would rather sit in front of a computer and design crap then work with my hands.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for all the good reassuring info, I've been talking to 3 diff mech eng that work at a very large shipyard and all have been doing it for about 5-8 years. But I'm really glad to hear that its not like that all around
Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to start school in a few weeks, and i'm starting my ChE. I've been told that engineering as a broad subject leaves you tons of doors open in lots of different areas and occupations.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
machineman89 will become famous soon enough

Name: Matthew
machineman89's Tacoma Gallery
ME is what iam goin for next..well after iam done getten my welding classes finished up....and get my AS degree as a Machinist.....hopefully my background of what iam doing right now will benefit me later on :-/
Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman94 View Post
I'm about to start school in a few weeks, and i'm starting my ChE. I've been told that engineering as a broad subject leaves you tons of doors open in lots of different areas and occupations.
you are correct. The first 2 years is a pretty broad spectrum of stuff and then you get into your specialty. But even then, you and do a LOT of things with an engineering degree.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
machineman89 will become famous soon enough

Name: Matthew
machineman89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

go do some maching classes, make n design your own stuff, once u have a knack for both u'll be well rounded in all areas and have more freedom, my opinion and my goal any how, i dnt get to do all i wat yet but so far iam happy, only to get better
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i'm an ME, and while i've been lazy of late and manning a PC, i can tell you that there are a wealth of opportunities available to ME's... there should be plenty of hands-on type work out there, ...so keep you nose in the textbooks, and finish that degree!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
you are correct. The first 2 years is a pretty broad spectrum of stuff and then you get into your specialty. But even then, you and do a LOT of things with an engineering degree.
Thanks for that, it's always good to hear encouraging words about the future.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman94 View Post
Thanks for that, it's always good to hear encouraging words about the future.
absolutely