Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Dodge 1500 Rental

Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Dodge 1500 Rental

As some know, my truck was hit from behind and is currently being repaired. In the meantime, I've been driving a Dodge 1500 double cab (rental) back-n-forth to work. A co-worker of mine just bought a Dodge 3500 Diesel. Maxed out on all the options, he paid almost $60,000 for it. I told him I was driving a 1500 while my Toyota was being repaired. He said in all seriousness, "Oh, now you'll never want to go back to a Tacoma!"

The funniest thing about it was he just got done 10 minutes before complaining that his new $60K truck with less than 10K miles on it had a massive front end failure on his last trip (bad ball joints) that forced him to have it repaired while on the road. He wasn't towing, he was just driving down the freeway.

Ah, I think I'll pass.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
lol... is it a new 09 or is it 08?

Dodge's suck, but they do have a nice powertrain warranty...
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
lol... is it a new 09 or is it 08?

Dodge's suck, but they do have a nice powertrain warranty...
I'm not sure. I think it's an 08. He ordered it and had to wait a month to get it. He hasn't had it very long and I don't think he's towed with it yet. As soon as he told me it was broken, I said, "Oops, should have bought a Toyota." His only comeback was that, "well it is covered under the warranty." But that kind of rings weak.

He has a long 5th wheel trailer though so I know he needs the diesel's power. I just couldn't resist jabbing him when I can.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
TacoBo will become famous soon enough
TacoBo's Tacoma Gallery
I used to drive a Dodge, then my Mom got a job.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Dodge waranty sucks ASS! Everytime I had to bring mine it, they claimed "ABUSE!"
I asked them "How is starting it and driveing it "abuse?"" Then I answered myself....."Ah, its a DODGE".
Old 01-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'd jab him too... I like having a good warranty and all... but it's a PITA to take it in... I'd rather have a reliable truck and a standard warranty than a crappy truck with a lifetime warranty... lol
Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
That's sort of like when I took the Expedition to my (asshole) friendly toyota dealer and was checking out their first 09 Tacoma when two mechanics approached me and said something like "you're sitting in the best truck around, there's no engine that can tow better." I pointed to the Ford and said "That's what I'm driving now, how much can this tow because I got power for 10K lbs." their only come back was "yea but how much mileage you get in that thing?" I said I got 16 since that was what was on the average at that time and they laughed, said something about the silver beauty getting 18mpg, hit it hard on the fender, and walked away.

Some people.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
He has a long 5th wheel trailer though so I know he needs the diesel's power. I just couldn't resist jabbing him when I can.
Couldn't a Tundra still work for him? Why is that friend of yours so eager to pay more for diesel? Hmmm. I guess we'll never know. Missed you at the meet Rob! Next time.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Dodge waranty sucks ASS! Everytime I had to bring mine it, they claimed "ABUSE!"
I asked them "How is starting it and driveing it "abuse?"" Then I answered myself....."Ah, its a DODGE".

You went to the wrong dealer. I wish I could say that when people brought there cars in
Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
In all fairness, I had a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 and really like it. The HEMI engine was really powerfull and fun to mess around with. Best of all with the V8 power and a electric cutout it was a blast.

I had it lifted 6" on 35's with a full system. I never had any problems in the 42,000 miles I owned it and always will thing the Dodge Ram is THE best looking truck on the road.

On the other hand I love my Tacoma and just wish the tranny would feel right shifiting. The tacoma is by far the BEST compact pick-up if you can call it that. The v6 has plenty of power, but doesn't compare to a v8, but neither does the fuel economy.

Bottom line, you can't compare a mid-sized truck to a full size 1500, let alone an F350...come one.....show respect where respect is due.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
I really liked the 09 F-150 rental I had. It was a V8 and got better milage, rode nicer, and had much more room than my 08 Tacoma. Part of that is due to the Tacoma being 4WD and the F-150 being 2WD, but it was still nice. The resale doesn't compare though, so that it a plus. And the Tacoma is much much easier to park and fully meets my needs as is.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Couldn't a Tundra still work for him? Why is that friend of yours so eager to pay more for diesel? Hmmm. I guess we'll never know. Missed you at the meet Rob! Next time.
It may have possible to work with a Tundra but a gasoline engine can't compete with a big diesel for torque and gas mileage. The biggest Tundra puts out about 401 ft lbs of torque whereas the Dodge turbo diesel puts out 650 ft lbs of torque with similar horsepower. The Tundra's towing capacity is 10,500 lbs. The Dodge towing capacity is 16,350 lbs. When you're towing, torque is king. Plus, some of the big diesels still manage to get 20 mpg. As I said above, he pulls a large 5th wheel trailer so he really does need it's capacity. Plus a diesel, properly taken care of, should blow away a gasoline engine in terms of engine life. It's not unheard of for them to go for 400,000 miles. That's probably why so many would like to see a Tundra diesel.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner07 View Post
I really liked the 09 F-150 rental I had. It was a V8 and got better milage, rode nicer, and had much more room than my 08 Tacoma. Part of that is due to the Tacoma being 4WD and the F-150 being 2WD, but it was still nice. The resale doesn't compare though, so that it a plus. And the Tacoma is much much easier to park and fully meets my needs as is.
In terms of comfort of the rental I got, the Tacoma doublecab is better than the Dodge doublecab (which is a 2wd). The Dodge rides nice and the power is nice but the gas mileage sucks (I'm getting about 10 with it).
Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
Atlanta Falcons
JimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud ofJimmyCrackCorn has much to be proud of

JimmyCrackCorn's Tacoma Gallery
I owned a Dodge once. What a piece of Shit that truck was! DODGE stands for "Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere!"
Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #15
Mayor of TW

^^
I had a 98 Durango 4x4. I loved that truck until I hit 77k miles... (I bought it with 38k on it...)

It literally fell apart...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #16
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
The Frames on those are rock fucking solid though. I'll give them that. And their Cummins engine is pretty good. Had some rough idle issues with the 08 diesels though. However in their defense they were being operated for 12 hour days in -40 weather (Not including windchill).
Old 01-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
It may have possible to work with a Tundra but a gasoline engine can't compete with a big diesel for torque and gas mileage. The biggest Tundra puts out about 401 ft lbs of torque whereas the Dodge turbo diesel puts out 650 ft lbs of torque with similar horsepower. The Tundra's towing capacity is 10,500 lbs. The Dodge towing capacity is 16,350 lbs. When you're towing, torque is king. Plus, some of the big diesels still manage to get 20 mpg. As I said above, he pulls a large 5th wheel trailer so he really does need it's capacity. Plus a diesel, properly taken care of, should blow away a gasoline engine in terms of engine life. It's not unheard of for them to go for 400,000 miles. That's probably why so many would like to see a Tundra diesel.

Yeah the old 5.9L Cummins diesel is a work horse! Ive seen some with over 500k miles on it still running strong, One of the guys I work with has one with a programmer in it with economy setting and he gets 27mpg running 35's and a lift.