Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

So I'm wanting a scanner....

Old 08-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm wanting a scanner.... HELP me out!

I've been wanting a scanner to keep up with what emergencies are going on in my town and surrounding towns when I'm on a drive and what not. My friend recently got one and I like it. Seems to be durable and it has great reviews. The sound quality on it is pretty good and everything. I'm wanting opinions on it and others if anyone recommends something else. I'm not planning on spending a lot on one. Also want a hand held one that can be hooked up to the cigarette lighter so I can listen to it when I drive. I would like to keep it under $150. Here is the one I'm considering: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rodsPerPage=60

And if anyone has one they have set up in their truck, I would like to see it.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Visit www.radioreference.comfor all of your scanning needs. Everything you will ever need or any questions you may have can be answered there. There's also live scanner feeds that are available from your region.

Also try some of the scanner apps that are available for your android or iphone. They work great.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Visit www.radioreference.comfor all of your scanning needs. Everything you will ever need or any questions you may have can be answered there. There's also live scanner feeds that are available from your region.

Also try some of the scanner apps that are available for your android or iphone. They work great.
Thanks! And I prefer an actual scanner compared to an app. I've tried a few apps before. Just not as good as an actual scanner.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
My buddy has the same one you posted. You can scan whatever channels you want as long as your in range and have the codes. I have an actual radio so I don't really have a need for a scanner lol
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
My buddy has the same one you posted. You can scan whatever channels you want as long as your in range and have the codes. I have an actual radio so I don't really have a need for a scanner lol
Lol. The only thing I worry about is that we have a camp way out of town, well BFE, and I just wonder if I can get signal out there. I can't even get cell signal out there. I'm guessing just a bigger antenna?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
The Blue Warrior

Or would I need something with digital? I don't really need a scanner while at our camp, but why not? Haha
Old 08-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
The Blue Warrior

Yes everyone, I'm a noob at this stuff and haven't really been around all of it. Lol
Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
I would suggest digital if there are any agencies using digital in your normal area that you want to monitor . Only a few near me are digital and LAPD is one of them. If I feel like listening to LAPD ill go to the scan feeds at radioreference.com
Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
They have free scanner apps for Android that pick up most of the local counties via internet stream. It works well!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
check with RR (the link Monkey left ya)

also look into wether u need a trunk tracker or not.............thats gunna effect cost.
I've looked into that. My friend said that almost all local stations use regular so I don't really need all of that.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
You can also have an external antenna mounted on the truck with a BNC connection to hook up to the antenna port on the portables. I had a setup like that on my 83 yota and it worked very well. I don't use any of the scanners anymore either, I've got the 800 MHz radio if I want to hear anything. (Which I normally don't)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
You can also have an external antenna mounted on the truck with a BNC connection to hook up to the antenna port on the portables. I had a setup like that on my 83 yota and it worked very well. I don't use any of the scanners anymore either, I've got the 800 MHz radio if I want to hear anything. (Which I normally don't)
That's an idea
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i had a Uniden Bearcat about 10 years ago, it was a pretty good scanner. I would think they still make them
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
i had a Uniden Bearcat about 10 years ago, it was a pretty good scanner. I would think they still make them
Still do. Going with that or the radioshack one.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
I have a pro-fit international mount with the T-Amps adapter and a adjustable cellphone mount that I bought from best buy with the "T" hole in the back. I'm not a fan but I tolerate it. The design was poor. My biggest concern was that there was no way of securing the nuts on the back of the plate because they fit into this hole and you can't fit a socket into the hole. I had to shove a flat-head into the hole next to the nut to tighten it, even then it's not as tight as I would like.

And it is really bouncy but I have it pushed against a Ram-Mount Floor Mount which minimizes the bouncing but is a lot of tedious work to get right