1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So I'm wanting a scanner....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ToyotaKTMracing, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Aug 20, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing [OP] The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    I've been wanting a scanner to keep up with what emergencies are going on in my town and surrounding towns when I'm on a drive and what not. My friend recently got one and I like it. Seems to be durable and it has great reviews. The sound quality on it is pretty good and everything. I'm wanting opinions on it and others if anyone recommends something else. I'm not planning on spending a lot on one. Also want a hand held one that can be hooked up to the cigarette lighter so I can listen to it when I drive. I would like to keep it under $150. Here is the one I'm considering: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3704415&numProdsPerPage=60

And if anyone has one they have set up in their truck, I would like to see it.

2. Aug 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Visit www.radioreference.comfor all of your scanning needs. Everything you will ever need or any questions you may have can be answered there. There's also live scanner feeds that are available from your region.

Also try some of the scanner apps that are available for your android or iphone. They work great.

3. Aug 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    Thanks! And I prefer an actual scanner compared to an app. I've tried a few apps before. Just not as good as an actual scanner.

4. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    My buddy has the same one you posted. You can scan whatever channels you want as long as your in range and have the codes. I have an actual radio so I don't really have a need for a scanner lol

5. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Lol. The only thing I worry about is that we have a camp way out of town, well BFE, and I just wonder if I can get signal out there. I can't even get cell signal out there. I'm guessing just a bigger antenna?

6. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Or would I need something with digital? I don't really need a scanner while at our camp, but why not? Haha

7. Aug 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Yes everyone, I'm a noob at this stuff and haven't really been around all of it. Lol

8. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I would suggest digital if there are any agencies using digital in your normal area that you want to monitor . Only a few near me are digital and LAPD is one of them. If I feel like listening to LAPD ill go to the scan feeds at radioreference.com

9. Aug 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
  10. Aug 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Thanks for the opinions so far :D

11. Aug 21, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    And is there any way to mount these?

12. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Help me find a mount for the radioshack one. I'm all herp derp with this! :eek:

13. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
  14. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    I've looked into that. My friend said that almost all local stations use regular so I don't really need all of that.

15. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    You can also have an external antenna mounted on the truck with a BNC connection to hook up to the antenna port on the portables. I had a setup like that on my 83 yota and it worked very well. I don't use any of the scanners anymore either, I've got the 800 MHz radio if I want to hear anything. (Which I normally don't) :D

16. Aug 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    That's an idea

17. Aug 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i had a Uniden Bearcat about 10 years ago, it was a pretty good scanner. I would think they still make them

18. Aug 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Still do. Going with that or the radioshack one.

19. Aug 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I have a pro-fit international mount with the T-Amps adapter and a adjustable cellphone mount that I bought from best buy with the "T" hole in the back. I'm not a fan but I tolerate it. The design was poor. My biggest concern was that there was no way of securing the nuts on the back of the plate because they fit into this hole and you can't fit a socket into the hole. I had to shove a flat-head into the hole next to the nut to tighten it, even then it's not as tight as I would like.

And it is really bouncy but I have it pushed against a Ram-Mount Floor Mount which minimizes the bouncing but is a lot of tedious work to get right

20. Aug 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Spend the extra bucks and get a good mobile fixed mount or mag mount antenna. Also get the best antenna you can afford for the house or cabin, and mount it as high as you can get it.

To mount it in a vehicle, you might want to find a good spot and try velcro. If it doesn't work, you can just peel it off, or try a handheld GPS mount that fits a Garmin 60 or 70 series.

Products Discussed in

To Top