Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Your ridiculous scam story.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Your ridiculous scam story.

Here is a place to share some ridiculous scams you have come across. Most scams you will come across are on Craigslist, some are elsewhere. Use caution when you find what seems to be a good deal. Never buy anything asking for money through western union so that they can ship you something that they don't even own.
There are honest people who post stuff on there though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So looking for a boat, my dad finds a ridiculously priced boat. It was a 2009 Nitro Z8 w/ 225 Optimax outboard. The boats retail back in 2009 was $46,268. Yet this guy was selling it for $7,800 which is so cheap it's stupid, bass boats from 1997 still cost that much. That $7,800 was supposedly including shipping from NJ to NC.
Here is what one looks like:

Check it out:
Quote:
Hello,
Sorry for mailing you so late!
I'm glad that you're interested in my boat.The boat is in good condition, has no technical damages at all, no scratches or dents,no hidden defects.The boat has been looked after very well - washed and cleaned every two weeks. The interior is in virtually spotless condition. The seats are clean and not torn. The exterior is in excellent condition. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time. There are no known problems with the boat as far as I know.
The total price is $7800‏ including shipping and delivery taxes to your address.

I AM SELLING UNDER THE MARKET'S VALUE BECAUSE I NEED LIQUIDITY IN ORDER TO FINISH THE HOUSE THAT I AM BUILDING.
If you are decided we are going to have a safe deal.
Please get back to me to explain you more.
I`m waiting for your reply as soon as possible.
Thank you!
--
Air Force MSgt. Kevin Hewitt
Air National Guard
McGuire New Jersey
Look up the boat and look at it's actual pricing. I emailed him back saying "Lol, nice scam." We flagged the listing on some boat website and it was taken down.

I live in NC and it was posted here, but he supposedly lives in NJ. Every sentence is a red flag. Moral of the story is if it's too good to be true, it's a scam.

And if there is a real MSgt. Kevin Hewitt out there, this isn't actually about you.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
So looking for a boat, my dad finds a ridiculously priced boat. It was like a few years old and over $10,000 below market value.
Check it out:
Look up the boat and look at it's actual pricing. I emailed him back saying "Lol, nice scam." We flagged the listing on some boat website and it was taken down.
I live in NC and it was posted here, but he supposedly lives in NJ. Every sentence is a red flag. Moral of the story is if it's too good to be true, it's a scam.

what brand/model boat?

Just because you think it's 10k under market value doesn't mean it's a scam. I know people selling houses 50k under market value and they aren't scamming. When you need money you will take a loss. Simple as that.

Without more facts I think you and your dad were assholes for flagging the poor guys post when he needs money to build a house for his family. Not cool to do to a military guy making shit for money protecting us.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
sounds fishy, but i wouldnt be 100% sure it was a scam unless he pulled the whole "I need you to pay me first then I'll ship it" deal, or something of the likes

otherwise...you might just have pulled an assface move
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i was thinking it might not be a scam when i first read this thread.

1. he says boat, and details about it. not just the item this the item that.
2. he doesnt ask for something up front-yet
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a military man who is on a NJ military base, but home is in NC, and that is where his boat and maybe family live. I would think would have been more prudent to ask for more information.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
I eat terrorism and crap freedom!
apierce7565 is on a distinguished road

Army: 12B Combat Engineer 2/11 ACR 58th CEC
Name: Anthony
apierce7565's Tacoma Gallery
the only way i believe if they are real with something like that is if they are willing to let you see it in person..lol but be sure not to bring the money with you cuz it might be just asking to get jumped
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm sorry guys. I thought his reply included the boat info. It's a 2009 Nitro Z8 W/ 225 optimax. This boat retailed at $46,000 and the scammer is trying to sell it for less than $8000 dollars and it's only 3 years old. He is "located" in NJ and he posted it here in NC. Supposedly shipping is covered in that cost also.

These "Pro" scammers post listings way under market value 9 states away with a "touching" story in the reply. It is so clear it's a scam.

Looks like the only ass face is a few of you, but it is my fault I didn't give all the facts.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
That's a steal of a deal
Old 08-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm sorry guys. I thought his reply included the boat info. It's a 2009 Nitro Z8 W/ 225 optimax. This boat retailed at $46,000 and the scammer is trying to sell it for less than $8000 dollars and it's only 3 years old. He is "located" in NJ and he posted it here in NC. Supposedly shipping is covered in that cost also.

These "Pro" scammers post listings way under market value 9 states away with a "touching" story in the reply. It is so clear it's a scam.

Looks like the only ass face is a few of you, but it is my fault I didn't give all the facts.
Sorry man, I'm on the side of the ass-faces as you so nicely put it... Based on the response, there wasn't enough information to draw any solid conclusions.

BTW, what is/was the purpose of this thread?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Sorry man, I'm on the side of the ass-faces as you so nicely put it... Based on the response, there wasn't enough information to draw any solid conclusions.

BTW, what is/was the purpose of this thread?
To share stories of bs scams you have come across (title). I'll fix the first post when I get on my computer.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
To share stories of bs scams you have come across (title). I'll fix the first post when I get on my computer.
Oh... I didn't realize you wanted others to contribute. I thought you just really f'd up the title
Old 08-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you are decided we are going to have a safe deal.
Please get back to me to explain you more.
^^^ This was where I threw the scammer flag. The broken english underneath an otherwise perfectly written response. The scumbag either copied the original ad into the email you received or copied an email they got trying to scam the original seller.

A friend of mine had a guy trying to pay him 8k over the asking price of his Grand Prix. Wanted Joe to cash a check for like 10K over the asking price and the guy was supposedly going to pay him the 8k for doing this favor when he came and got the remaining 2k and the car. Yeah, buddy....you bet.

Craigslist is great entertainment.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
got 5VZFE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrysam View Post
^^^ This was where I threw the scammer flag. The broken english underneath an otherwise perfectly written response. The scumbag either copied the original ad into the email you received or copied an email they got trying to scam the original seller.

A friend of mine had a guy trying to pay him 8k over the asking price of his Grand Prix. Wanted Joe to cash a check for like 10K over the asking price and the guy was supposedly going to pay him the 8k for doing this favor when he came and got the remaining 2k and the car. Yeah, buddy....you bet.

Craigslist is great entertainment.
Thanks for contributing and helping this thread get to its original purpose.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
When I was 19 or so I got caught up in one of those $6k "merchant" credit cards . I bought it was a normal credit card at the time but it's to buy specifically from a catalog only . Cost me a few hundred bucks .
Old 08-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
When I was working my way through college, I bailed a co-worker out of jail using the last of my tuition money. He never paid me back- I even went to small-claims court and won, but I never got the money back. I had to take the next semester off to recover financially. A big mistake on my part. Never again.