Notices

Calling All Firefighters Please help a College student

Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
nschmittsd is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Nick
nschmittsd's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Calling All Firefighters Please help a College student

Hi hows it going i've been on this site for a while now and i have noticed that alot of you guys on here are Firefighters / Paramedics. I was just wondering what Majors you guys chose to get into the career. Im currently studying Public Administration. Any Help/ Tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Because fuck you that's why...
Trigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
I just graduated from University of Cincinnati with my degree in Fire Science. Nice thing about that degree is most of it is online.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
I was a Philosophy major before I moved into EMS. If I had to do it again, Fire Science. Seems it is the new standard (where it was Paramedic 10 years ago) for FD applicants.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Im a volly..They train me, I didnt need a major.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
BurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurqueTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BurqueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the Fire Science program here at CNM. Pretty sweet program some of the certs are done at the firefighter academy some in classrooms.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bender581's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Im a volly..They train me, I didnt need a major.
In Arkansas, if you are a volinteer fire fighter, I think the tuition is free at any state funded school that offers the program. Other states are probably the same. Once you have the degree or the certificate then you can find a paying job, if that is your intended path.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
StickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
StickShifty's Tacoma Gallery
here in Jersey all the career depts are Civil Service towns. basically it means that you take a state wide test, and get ranked with other people that took the test. You get ranked by the town you live in, and/or county. Veterans always get preference, no degree needed. So if you want to be a career firefighter in NJ: join the military, hopefully you come out with veteran status, move to a civil service town (if you do not already live in one), take the test, get ranked and bypass all the non-vets, once a town decides to hire they have to "certify" a list, everyone who is ranked will get a letter in the mail asking them to respond back, if you do you be put on a list that the town uses to hire.

FDNY: good luck! best bet is to become a FDNY paramedic, you then take the test pass/fail as a promotional exam. the FDNY test is a mess right now.

basically anywhere in NJ is very hard, best bet is go for vet status.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
nschmittsd is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Nick
nschmittsd's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you guys I'm currently in college here in sandiego and Im looking into becoming a firefighter I'm going to Look into firescience
Old 08-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Any degree will help at least here in CO. A fire science will help you move up faster because the knowledge you get from the classes for the fire service. All of our LT's and up need degrees so having one is nice(on my dept). With that said, I do not have one but am close and will finish when it is needed.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Associates in fire science and will go for bachelors in leadership.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Double Master's- Science and Education. Science helped when I was a FF/Medic, Ed. needed for teaching now that I'm retired from FF. I think a lot of it comes down to whether or not you want to be an officer at some point.