LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Would you use a Self-Help DIY Garage?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
Would you use a Self-Help DIY Garage?

I've been building a business plan for a do-it-yourself garage. You military guys will know this idea as the "Auto Hobby Shop". I live and work in the Denver area where the nearest Auto Hobby Shop is an hour or more away in Colorado Springs.

The basic idea is to make the garage everyone wishes they had at home available for rent by the hour. It should have everything from vehicle lifts, a complete collection of tools, welding equipment, and maybe even some fabrication equipment.

So who would be willing to pay $15 to $20 per hour to use a fully equipped garage to work on their projects? Do you think there would be enough market to keep the bays full on a shop like this?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadwonder View Post
I've been building a business plan for a do-it-yourself garage. You military guys will know this idea as the "Auto Hobby Shop". I live and work in the Denver area where the nearest Auto Hobby Shop is an hour or more away in Colorado Springs.

The basic idea is to make the garage everyone wishes they had at home available for rent by the hour. It should have everything from vehicle lifts, a complete collection of tools, welding equipment, and maybe even some fabrication equipment.

So who would be willing to pay $15 to $20 per hour to use a fully equipped garage to work on their projects? Do you think there would be enough market to keep the bays full on a shop like this?

for 15 to 20 an hour i would do it if i didnt already have somewhere to wrench
Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
I would hate to see what the commercial / business insurance would be having people coming in off the streets to work on their own vehicles....
Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
There's a couple of DIY garages down here in Phoenix and they're great for people like me that live in apartments. they charge $15 an hour and give hourly discounts if your doing an engine or tranny swap. They have high lifts and a tool box at every port.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Might be interesting for a project. Sounds like it would be cheaper in the long run to do this rather than buy all the tools you need.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
If that is your ONLY business-You might have a hard time.
Selling parts like an AutoZone with some DIY bays in the back is more likely to keep a roof over your head.
I would love to have an attached parts store. Not only for the income, but for the convenience in the shop. But the only way I see to be able to have a successful parts store is by franchising (such as NAPA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNakedBooda View Post
I would hate to see what the commercial / business insurance would be having people coming in off the streets to work on their own vehicles....
This is the number one response I get when I tell people what I am thinking of doing. I think I have a plan for handling that, but I need to work directly with a good business insurance firm to make sure that the numbers will actually work.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I've often thought of this as a business as well, so it must be a good idea.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #9

Air Force:
I'd like to offer classes for people to learn new repair or fabrication skills as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I was thinking about doing the same but I think this idea is already out.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I was thinking about doing the same but I think this idea is already out.
What makes you think that?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
My friend ran one for about a year, it was located right slam nextdoor to a Napa store (attached to the same building). He did pretty good and he also ran a U-Haul and stuff to get people to stop in and stuff you know. His downfall was that he used a pirated copy of some auto mechanic software and somehow was caught, his shop was featured in the newspaper and had its own website and stuff so I guess someone with the software company ratted on him.

I think it can be successful in the right situation and if ran right. One downfall though was that the military bases here built a HUGE garage with like 15 bays for the military guys to use to work on their cars, so that would of took alot of his business away I think.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #15
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I just use the auto hobby shop on base for the big jobs but it's a pain in the ass getting on unless im with my uncle.

i think it's a great idea for civilians with no garage.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #16
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
Being in my field I have all kinds of connections to use people's shops I just gotta "bring the beer" but I think this is an awesome idea. I think you'd need some form of waiver for the customer to sign and at least someone to monitor them and maybe position the vehicles on the lifts properly.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #17

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
One downfall though was that the military bases here built a HUGE garage with like 15 bays for the military guys to use to work on their cars, so that would of took alot of his business away I think.
The base here was turned over from a National Guard base within the last 15 years, so it doesn't have a lot of the typical Air Force Base amenities. Including there is no plan in the near future to build an auto hobby shop. So I think if I can get a shop up and running very near the base then they would have no reason to invest the money in an on base shop.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadwonder View Post
What makes you think that?
I have seen garages for rent. There are none in CA though.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #19
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Hate to be negative, but you will have competition in the Denver are as there is already a business model like what you're describing in Denver. Check out Club Workshop: http://www.clubworkshop.com/
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #20

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
Hate to be negative, but you will have competition in the Denver are as there is already a business model like what you're describing in Denver. Check out Club Workshop: http://www.clubworkshop.com/
That's not negative, that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I have seen their website and shop and like what they have created. But I am not sure that I would really be competing with them. I think they serve a different market.

Given the opportunity though, I would love to talk with the Club Workshop owners and get a feel for how they feel people respond to that kind of shop.