1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you use a Self-Help DIY Garage?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by offroadwonder, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Aug 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    I've been building a business plan for a do-it-yourself garage. You military guys will know this idea as the "Auto Hobby Shop". I live and work in the Denver area where the nearest Auto Hobby Shop is an hour or more away in Colorado Springs.

The basic idea is to make the garage everyone wishes they had at home available for rent by the hour. It should have everything from vehicle lifts, a complete collection of tools, welding equipment, and maybe even some fabrication equipment.

So who would be willing to pay $15 to $20 per hour to use a fully equipped garage to work on their projects? Do you think there would be enough market to keep the bays full on a shop like this?

2. Aug 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5

for 15 to 20 an hour i would do it if i didnt already have somewhere to wrench

3. Aug 24, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If that is your ONLY business-You might have a hard time.
    Selling parts like an AutoZone with some DIY bays in the back is more likely to keep a roof over your head.

4. Aug 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    BuckNakedBooda

BuckNakedBooda There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member:
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    I would hate to see what the commercial / business insurance would be having people coming in off the streets to work on their own vehicles....

5. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
    There's a couple of DIY garages down here in Phoenix and they're great for people like me that live in apartments. they charge $15 an hour and give hourly discounts if your doing an engine or tranny swap. They have high lifts and a tool box at every port.

6. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Might be interesting for a project. Sounds like it would be cheaper in the long run to do this rather than buy all the tools you need.

7. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    I would love to have an attached parts store. Not only for the income, but for the convenience in the shop. But the only way I see to be able to have a successful parts store is by franchising (such as NAPA).

This is the number one response I get when I tell people what I am thinking of doing. I think I have a plan for handling that, but I need to work directly with a good business insurance firm to make sure that the numbers will actually work.

8. Aug 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    I've often thought of this as a business as well, so it must be a good idea. :)

9. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    I'd like to offer classes for people to learn new repair or fabrication skills as well.

10. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There was a motorcycle shop that worked like this on Tampa. Buy your parts there and they had tools there for you to install it...No qualified techs on staff so you were "on your own" if something didn't work...but everyone was helpful.

11. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    What makes you think that?

12. Aug 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    My friend ran one for about a year, it was located right slam nextdoor to a Napa store (attached to the same building). He did pretty good and he also ran a U-Haul and stuff to get people to stop in and stuff you know. His downfall was that he used a pirated copy of some auto mechanic software and somehow was caught, his shop was featured in the newspaper and had its own website and stuff so I guess someone with the software company ratted on him.

I think it can be successful in the right situation and if ran right. One downfall though was that the military bases here built a HUGE garage with like 15 bays for the military guys to use to work on their cars, so that would of took alot of his business away I think.

13. Aug 26, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Yes, yes I would

14. Aug 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I just use the auto hobby shop on base for the big jobs but it's a pain in the ass getting on unless im with my uncle.

i think it's a great idea for civilians with no garage.

15. Aug 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM
    ae111black

ae111black Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kimo
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport
    plenty
    Being in my field I have all kinds of connections to use people's shops I just gotta "bring the beer" but I think this is an awesome idea. I think you'd need some form of waiver for the customer to sign and at least someone to monitor them and maybe position the vehicles on the lifts properly.

16. Aug 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    The base here was turned over from a National Guard base within the last 15 years, so it doesn't have a lot of the typical Air Force Base amenities. Including there is no plan in the near future to build an auto hobby shop. So I think if I can get a shop up and running very near the base then they would have no reason to invest the money in an on base shop.

17. Aug 30, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    rockgecko03

rockgecko03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rockwall, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma - Perpetual Project
    Hate to be negative, but you will have competition in the Denver are as there is already a business model like what you're describing in Denver. Check out Club Workshop: http://www.clubworkshop.com/

18. Aug 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    offroadwonder

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    That's not negative, that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I have seen their website and shop and like what they have created. But I am not sure that I would really be competing with them. I think they serve a different market.

Given the opportunity though, I would love to talk with the Club Workshop owners and get a feel for how they feel people respond to that kind of shop.

19. Aug 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

There used to be a few in Orange County. They didn't last longer than a couple of years.

Products Discussed in

To Top