1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plasti-Dip Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by puckstopper55, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Aug 31, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    Hey guys. I have never used Plasti-Dip before so I wanted to get some feedback from those that have.

Basically I need to rebuild an enclosure around my fuel oil tank because the one that was there is completely rotted. The sides will be finished with vinyl siding to match my house, and I was going to use roofing shingles for the top (lid) however after some calculations it turns out that the lid would be too heavy to lift.

The lid needs to be able to be lifted for inspection and filling purposes so it cannot be a permanently closed type of roof. To save weight I was thinking of using plasti-dip to coat the 4x8 plywood roof section. Do you think this would provide a waterproof type seal that would remain flexible for when the roof is lifted? Do you have any other ideas for the roof to keep it from rotting but light enough to be lifted by the inspector/oil truck driver?

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks

2. Aug 31, 2012 at 4:33 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    thats what I used last time .. the snow and rain destroyed it in 4 years.

3. Aug 31, 2012 at 4:54 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/208857-will-plastidip-adhere-treated-lumber.html

the plastidip has held up fairly well on this bike rack, though am now getting some scratches, down to the wood, in areas due to abrasion. not sure you would encounter this in your particular app. just curious, did you recoat that last cover several times over the 4-year span? of course, a piece of plywood, laying flat, allowing mother nature to fall and rest upon it, is gonna need to be replaced eventually:rolleyes: hope this helps.

4. Aug 31, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I don't think the plasti-dip will last that long out in the elements. I would rather use the shingles and use a counterweight or spring on the back side of the lid to assist with opening it.

5. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Honestly, shingles is really not a bad idea. But maybe go with ashphalt ones rather than wood ones to help save weight.

6. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    I recoated it 1x at the 2 year mark. I think I will give this a shot. thanks

7. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    I was thinking along these lines but more of a piston or something similar to those used in the hard tonnau covers. What do you guys think? Any ideas where to get them?

8. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Don't use plasti-dip... Go with a Grace product that will self-adhere to the plywood like ice and water shield or another type of sheet waterproofing. Use marine grade plywood as a substrate and it should hold up for a long time. One thing to check when using sheet waterproofing is to get something that is ok to be in direct sunlight as most are meant to be covered.

One idea would be a heavy grade plastic and ahere it to the plywood. Some poly's used as vapor retarders under concrete slabs are very tough. One product that comes to mind is made by Stego.

Have you considered another type of material such as Lexan or one of those manufactured wood-look products that are actually plastic? They won't rot, don't require a coating and are available at Home Depot or Lowes.

Have you also considered putting the roof higher up so it wouldn't require a hinge? Does it have to be completely enclosed or can you put the roof say 3' higher to allow easy access to the fill tube?

Another option would be to shingle it and get a helper strut to make it easier to lift.

9. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    The helper strut is a great idea .. any idea where to get one?

10. Aug 31, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Not sure... I just googled it and found a bunch for sale on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/SUSPA%C2%AE-Spring-Strut-Shock-C16-08054/dp/B0041EBSX4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1346422778&sr=1-1&keywords=lift+struts

Those seem to be for a hood lift system but you might be able to find a heavier duty model somewhere or maybe the 100 lbs helper would be enough. I'm not sure how you go about sizing them for that application.

EDIT: Check this out!
    http://www.strutwise.com/

11. Aug 31, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    Boerseun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Why not just ditch the plywood and do a lightweight aluminum frame with corrugated polycarbonate sheets for the roof?

12. Aug 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    because I never thought about that! Thanks!!!!

13. Aug 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I would suggest corrugated aluminum roofing. I used that for an emergency generator enclosure. The wood frame of the hinged roof is so heavy, tho, that I had to add counter weights. A lightweight metal frame might work for you.

14. Aug 31, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    We are only using a 4'x8' size, so I think a wooden frame using 2x4 wouldnt be too bad if we go with the aluminum roof. I just home Depot or Lowes stocks that stuff

15. Aug 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    Boerseun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Every now and then I come up with a good idea...:D

16. Aug 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    puckstopper55

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top