1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do you study? (college)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChamYota, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    :D:eek:
    I have several exams next week.

1.I've been reviewing(looking at my notes, re-explaining what they mean)
    since the first day of school (about 3 weeks ago)

2. I have some sort of idea what the exams will be on but i dont know if what im doing per-se is the right thing to be doing.

3. I am NOT memorizing or anything like that. It doesn't stick for too long after the exam is over.

Are any student(s)/graduate(s)/Alumni out there willing to share some study tips with me?

I'd be grateful :D

2. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    thesherv

thesherv Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kill Devil Hills, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 Regular Cab
    6 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift (coming off soon), TJM bumper with winch, 35" Toyo A/T, Safari snorkel
    I always used to figure out what the most important things are and write them down on a piece of paper. A lot of the tests actually allowed a cheat sheet like that but by the time I spent a couple hours writing everything down I didn't even need the paper because in my head I could picture what everything looked like on the paper and could remember it.

That's just me. It might not work for everyone but it worked pretty well for me.

3. Sep 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    So you pretty much wrote notes, then took the time to re-write them, cleaning them up, and only noting the important stuff?

Did you repeat this process or was this a one time thing?

4. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I used to make myself practice exams. I'd go through the book chapters and pull out questions to answer. Then a day or two before the exam, I'd take my practice test. It usually highlighted where I needed to focus.

I had one professor that would give seven possible essay questions he was going to ask, (history) of which he'd choose two of them. I'd just write out a sample essay for each question.

Another good strategy on an essay is to do a quick outline before you start writing (assumes you know the answer to the question). It helps you stay on track as you're writing.

5. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    x2 on re writing notes... It takes anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes after each class...and DO IT after each class, and guess what..you gradually retain the info. come test time no studying needed.

6. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:

Thanks for the suggestions, I dont write my notes over again...(ill have to start doing that), I read my notes again, with a highlighter by my side and just highlight things that he had in bold in the lecture, and speak to myself about what was in red and why it was important, idk if thats going to help but i'll def combine both of these strategies together for the upcoming classes i have tomorrow!

7. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    My study habits depended on the content, but most of my tests were quantitative - I was a Math and Econ major at Emory and a Mechanical Engineer at Georgia Tech.

When studying for a test that was guaranteed to require computation and analysis, I would study the hardest example problems (or previous test problems) that I could find. The logic being that if I truly studied 4-5 really hard problems, I would garner the understanding similar to 15-20 easy problems. Usually a really hard problem has multiple components / covers different processes, thus incorporating the required knowledge of easier problems that usually required that you only know one thing / process.

As I progressed through school, I became pretty efficient at knocking out those 4-5 problems, effectively decreasing the total amount of study time required for each exam. My 5th year in school (mechanical engineering at that point), I would only study 2-3 hours for a final.

DISCLAIMER:
    I graduated with a 3.34 from Tech, so this method really only works if you are okay with being a "B" student. The kids that always got A's usually put a lot more effort into their studying. I like to think of earning grades as an exponential curve (e^x) with grades (in ascending order) on the x-axis, and time spent studying on the y-axis. I picked my studying time "cut off" with a cost-benefit mind set - it just wasn't worth it for me to dedicate 3-4 times the studying time to get an A over a B.

8. Sep 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    It's funny but I knew a guy at Raytheon who would only hire students that had a B or high C average. When asked why, since there were applicants who had 4.0 averages, he said, "If I hire the 4.0 student, I'll more than likely get a prima donna who thinks the world owes him/her because of the grades. A "B" or "C" student is usually grateful they got the job and you can expect good work out of them."

9. Sep 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    I can definitely see that. I also like to think that I reallocated my time to learning other useful skills, such as building relationships, work experience, personal study, and preserving my sanity - engineering school can be pretty dismal at times.

However, I also knew that my grades wouldn't matter as much as the next guy/gal because I was going into the U.S. Army (ROTC in college, which took a lot of time as well). Once I get out of the Army, a future employer will probably look more at that, than what my grades were 10 years ago. My undergraduate grades will probably have the biggest impact on what grad program I get into after the Army.

10. Sep 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    cgrhyne

cgrhyne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Lincolnton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner (the best 3rd gen)
    Bilstein/OME Lift, 5th Gen Wheels, BFGs, fun stuff... Had a 3rd Gen, twin turbo'ed it (traded in on a F150 Gen 2 3.5 Ecoboost)
    Whiskey... and pay attention in class.

I reviewed the material that I thought was important, but the main advice I can give is go in calm. I took the EIT exam in April 2011 and passed with only studying for about 2 hours and drinking several beers the night before. Engineering was one of those deals that if you knew it, you did, and if you didn't... you weren't going to learn it in 2 hours of cramming.

11. Sep 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    sinaptic

sinaptic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab V6 4x4
    Fog lights, back-up camera, TRD cat-back exhaust, towing package, int. wiper stalk, Weathertech floor liners, color-matched the front bumper and grille, TSB leaf packs, Front Bilstein 5100's at 0", Eibach/Toytec coils (approx 1.25" front lift - sits almost level), rear Bilstein 5100's.
    [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I found that my class notes were more important than anything else. The instructor usually had the key points for the exams covered in the lectures (The textbook reading was typically secondary) and if you took good notes in-class you were golden. In some of the more difficult classes where a lot was covered very quickly in the lectures, I used a mini tape recorder. This way, I could note down the key points later at a sane speed.

Yes, a mini tape recorder. Yes, I’m that old... You can stop laughing now. :D

Then, go through the textbook(s) and pay particular attention to the sections that cover the points you noted from the lecture. Read those sections carefully and add more detail to your class notes. Pretty easy, and it helped me retain the information. I'd say about 95% of the time this was the material on the exam.

BTW – I’m not suggesting just doing this and disregarding the rest of the reading or other activities/exercises associated with your classes. Always keep up with that too. Besides, you never know when the professor will try to throw a curveball in there.

Good luck! I miss school, actually... Much simpler times.
    [/FONT]

12. Sep 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    The professors would usually provide a exam review or something along those lines and then would allow a cheat sheet. I typically filled out the cheat sheet based on what I was supposed to know based on the exam review presentation or hand out. By the time I was done making that cheat sheet I knew what I needed to.

I rarely read a book in college. Everything was given to me as power point presentations for each day/class.

13. Sep 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    JeremyGrey

JeremyGrey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TX Pro Prerunner
    You are supposed to study in college? I just want to class, payed attention in class, took tests then started drinking.

14. Sep 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Gotcha88

Gotcha88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB PreRunner TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s all around, Toytec Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Light Racing UCAs, 285/70r17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Eagle 185s, 20% tint all around, Magnaflow 11256, Cobra CB with 2' Firestik, De-Badged, BHLM, UltraGauge, K&N Drop-in, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All-Weather Mats.
    Date a smart chick, blow everything off till the final and make her tutor you.

... not that I ever did that.

15. Sep 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    GTechoma

GTechoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport DCLB 4WD
    EGR inchannel vent visors, OEM bed mat, Wet Okole front and back seat covers, BFG AT's
    I graduated from Georgia Tech also with a degree in Polymer Chemistry. This guy speaks the truth. My first quarter (yes, I'm old) I over studied and found that I was more confused trying to remember all the information I crammed into my brain. Once I started a method similar to Hunter, I did much better.

This too. The truth. Everyone has different learning styles, so it takes some time to figure out what works best. However, reviewing your notes and looking for key concepts is a good start. Also, many people do better in a study group as they find they can teach some of the concepts they understand (reinforcing their learning) while others can teach them the concepts they don't know.

Best of luck on your exams.

16. Sep 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Haha. You guys have little mini-ventures in college im guessing.

So far i've been re-reading my notes and trying to makes what's what. I'm not freaking out by any means. Just wanted to have a thread full of strategies i could refer too when i start taking the Classes within my major later on down the road.

17. Sep 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    I am a Junior and somehow still in college. Here are some useful tips I have learned the hard way (they don't really pertain to studying per say but you will thank me).

- Go to class.
    - Pay attention in said class.
    - Don't go to class too fucked up. Your teacher will know.
    - When your teacher says you will not use the book they issue you, that doesn't mean your class is going to be easy.
    - You actually have to do things (HW, etc.)
    - Don't be afraid to ask questions (but don't be the ass kisser in class either cause most college professors hate that shit)
    - And last but not least, taking an online course is a bitch. Generally, there is 100x more work involved then going to a physical class.

18. Sep 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:

This. >_> im taking an online math class. >_> i dont like the idea of doing work whenever i feel like it. I'd rather just go to a class.

19. Sep 10, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    I've had a few different online courses but the one I'm in now (Marketing) is just fucking awful.

20. Sep 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    northernco

northernco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Adderall. Haha. Jk.

Seriously though. I only found that good note taking was the ONLY way to get by. But I left after 2 years so mine may not be the best opinion...

Products Discussed in

To Top