1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Man vs. Wild vs. Survivorman

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Taco Dan, Sep 17, 2012.

?

Les or Bear

Poll closed Oct 17, 2012.
  1. Survivorman (Les Stroud)

145 vote(s)
    80.1%
  2. Man vs. Wild (Bear Grylls)

36 vote(s)
    19.9%
  1. Sep 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Ben83

Ben83 I am faster than 80% of all snakes.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Extang Solid Fold Seat Covers Trimmed the mudflaps. Husky Liners
    Found this on the webz:
    "In April 2012, Canterbury falsely announced that he would no longer be part of the series due to family and business reasons. In truth, in September of 2011, Canterbury was fired by Discovery for misrepresenting his military and civilian background and experience. http://www.codylundin.com/wordpress/cody-lundin-press-release/

Canterbury's false military claims can be seen on the POWnetwork.org website under their "phonies" section, letter "C". Canterbury also falsely claimed to have 20 years of survival skills experience which was proven untrue by the surfacing of Canterbury's own 2008 bio in which he was a factory worker at an auto plant in Ohio the year before he signed to be on Dual Survival. This bio can be viewed on BushcraftUSA."

I went to POWnetwork.org and viewed Dave's military service records. From what I can tell, he was an MP in the Army for 6 years who was trained as a military police sniper and an SRT member, which is like an Army version of SWAT. There is no mention of Ranger, Survival, Scout, or Airborne Training. There is also no mention of service in Central America, only in Korea.

Obviously, the Discovery Channel and Cody figured this out last year and had to make a hard decision, or else risk losing the integrity of the show. This is really sad to hear. Dave did serve his country, but decided to embellish things which got him into trouble.

The moral of the story is, make sure to update your Bushcraft USA bio before becoming a famous TV survival show star!

Just kidding......It's always best to stay honest and keep it real.

Cheers,

Jason

Not sure how legit it is. I haven't checked the sites mentioned, but here is the link to the site I got this from: http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2012/05/dave-canterbury-leaves-dual-survival.html

2. Sep 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    I found this too which was supposed to be from a knife maker that had worked with him

3. Sep 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    North Star

North Star I keep planets in orbit

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4
    N-fab side steps, Extang hard tonneau cover, Terra Grappelers
    Nooooooooo!!! :mad:

Dave was cool. They seemed to have a falling out in the last episode of the season. I hope Dave gets his own show.

4. Sep 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    North Star

North Star I keep planets in orbit

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4
    N-fab side steps, Extang hard tonneau cover, Terra Grappelers
    Dang, guess he got ousted huh?

5. Sep 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    BurqueTaco

BurqueTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    04 trd tacoma 4x4
    Custom pinstriping, pleasure hole, Fox 2.0 rear, Fox 2.0 coilovers.
    I picked up Les's knife the other day at Sportsman's Warehouse. I didn't even realize it was his knife till they grabbed the box. It's just a really nice knife with a nifty sheath and a great price.

6. Sep 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I'd rather be with Les and his skills if I were lost in the wild.

7. Sep 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Les Stroud is the common man's survivalist which is much more practical and useful advice for survival. This is the scale-tipping reason why he is my choice in the poll.

HOWEVER, Bear is ex-British SAS so he has some bad-ass training for all climates and situations. Bear seems to be in much better shape overall, too. I don't care if he sleeps in a hotel each night... we all still enjoy his shows and information to see what he's going to do next.

If the shit actually hit the fan on a large scale, like a major world event/zombies/etc., Bear is the guy who could tough it out while also kicking bad guy ass. Les would get captured by cannibals and raped. (sorry Les, I still love you)

8. Sep 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Red Green

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough"

"And remember, if women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

[​IMG]

9. Sep 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    Most definatly Les, he even lives badassly (new word?) normaly. If anyone saw the episode of cribs you understand.

10. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Ok, if there is a zombie apocalypse then bear the poser would be the man, for every other situation you ever might actually encounter I'd take les. He brings his own cameras with him, sets them up and walks past them, and then goes back and picks them up again. If you've ever been long distance camping you know how a small amount of weight adds up quickly. He built his own " off the grid" house and lives what he preaches. He's the man, no doubts:D

11. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Both are staged Hollywood, but Man vs wild was most appealing to me. Either way, my old man taught me to be a survivor, not the media.

12. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:29 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Bear has many great acomplishments in his life and has a huge amount of skills, but the over the top stunts that you would never do ( risk is way more than reward ) kind of turn me off on his show.
    Les has a better show and by doing all the work has a higher credibility in my eyes.

All that said after reading all of Cody's books he walks the walk 24/7

Man woman wild is a show my wife and I actually watch together.

13. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    Has anyone seen les' tribal series? Where he goes to the tiny indigenous tribes around the world to learn their story and way of life before they dwindle into nothing and are lost for good?

14. Sep 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    Man vs wild is more entertaining for me..but survivorman is more realistic :) (I like both :D )

15. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    I vote Les for his ability to make the show while surviving on his own. Now, I'll just skip on over to the Funny Pictures thread to see the other arguments 'cause I believe I know the [picture that started it... :D

RUTH!! Smokin' hot and much more badass than she was portrayed.

Good taste in shows. :D

I have Mykel Hawke's Hellion knife and it's served me very well:

16. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Survivorman is better in my book! can’t wait till tomorrow new season!

:rofl:

17. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,

Yes she does stuff I bet the producers never thought she would.
    I bet they wanted the drama of a winney prissy wife and a hard ass soldier fighting each other, but what they got was way better.
    I also feel when they picked Cody and Dave the producers wanted the polar opposite Hard ass go for broke military vs Long hair barefoot hippy drama.
    I saw them having differing opinions a lot but they understood the goal of surviving was the main plan. Sorry to see Dave go but fibbin is not a good thing. Cody is way more than a Long hair bare foot hippy type pinco commie. He is very sharp and uses all available resorces well.

18. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Man, Women Wild.

19. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    [​IMG]
    That's an elephant rifle.

20. Sep 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    camiliosalomanda

camiliosalomanda Well-Known Member

Member:
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Super White
    Grill Craft Hella 500 Bed Aux Wet Okole Wet Okole Arm Rests Weather Tech Magnaflow OS Ram Night Breakers Rocky Mounts Custom IPOD Dock Pioneer AVH P4100 Relentless Sliders AnBCustomFab Bed Rack 3 Inch Icon Lift with leaf pack
    Dave Canteburry is literally the man when it comes to the art of self reliance. He has quite the organization going too.

His classes and books as well as tutorials.

Check out http://www.thepathfinderschoolllc.com/

Edit after reading all this I feel like I dont know shit. hahaha

I cant believe that he lied about all that and has no experience in survival at all. He seems pretty good about it.

As stated here in the thread though most of this is hollywood and who knows what is true or not beside the stuff you can prove.

I am going outside to start a fire now and then poop a small pile and place my coals in it and walk in to the woods. This is BS.

Products Discussed in

To Top