1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Giving Strangers/Hitchhikers A Ride

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Okeetee, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Sep 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Growing up in Illinois? Yeah, quite a bit.

After moving to South Carolina? Not so much.

2. Sep 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    NMW 4x4

NMW 4x4 Wheels With Moose.

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Nine Mile, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    OME 885's w/5100's, Wheeler's HD Progressive, Firestone Riderite's.
    I don't mind giving hitchhikers a lift or stopping to help someone on the side of the road. But I'm always carrying my concealed .357 Mag, so I'm not as hesitant as some people :notsure:

3. Sep 24, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Gave a ride to a young couple while driving through Wyoming in 1989. Nice clean hippies whose old beater had gone it's last mile. Picked them up just inside the Colorado/Wyoming line and dropped them off in Buffalo. Along the way, there was a lot of small talk, smoking, etc. They were cool but out of another decade. At one point, the guy offered to let me do his wife if I put them up for the night in a hotel. Considering I could already see her hairy armpits, I politely declined the opportunity.

True story. Looking back on it, I wish I had screwed that hairy hippie chick.

Nowadays, I won't stop unless I witness an accident.

4. Sep 24, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    This. ^^^ Always been my cardinal rule with picking people up. If getting to their destination isn't important enough to them to walk, then it sure as hell isn't important to me. I've been picking up hitchhikers for over 30 years and I see no reason to stop now. I do use common sense, but I can take care of myself and don't worry about someone being stupid enough to pull a weapon on me when I'm in control of the vehicle they're riding in. We watch too much shock news in the US these days that's designed to keep us afraid of each other. I've never had any issues beyond dirty people stinking up my vehicle, but after all, it's just a truck and I know where to buy Febreeze.

5. Sep 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    423Mram

423Mram Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Cali
    Vehicle:
    06 Super White PreRunner DCLB
    Never have and I doubt I would. Though when I was about 12 me and the fam were heading to Laughlin, NV to meet up with some other family for the weekend. We hit the half a tank mark and instead of stopping to put gas at a station we passed at that point, my mom and dad thought we would see another station before the last 1/2 ran out. Needless to say, we didn't see another gas station and ran out of gas in the middle of the desert at about 9/10pm. This was before cell phones were so widely used so we were basically stuck. I could hear my parents talking about staying the night in the car and hope the family already in Laughlin would come looking for us. Luckily a couple stopped and asked if we needed help. My mom took up the offer and they drove her about 10 miles to a gas station, filled up a gas can and they brought her back. I have benefited from it, so maybe one day I'll return the favor.

6. Sep 24, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I always try to pick up skiers/boarders who are hiking or need a ride to the top of the hill. They just know to hop in the bed and get comfy. People around here are pretty nice about picking up skiers and boarders.

7. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have. I saw two women trying to climb a steep hill by the freeway. Their car had run out of gas. I honked and waved them back. I took them up to the gas station and drove them back to their car.

The lady told me she was once a victim of a car jacking and was hospitalized after the thief smashed her face with his gun. After she told me that, I was kind of surprised they would accept a ride from a stranger.

Generally I don't pick up someone who is hitchhiking though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC90Vnc-OI

8. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    I usually pick them up and tell them they can have a ride as long as they don't mind the .45 I keep pointed at them....this only works if you drive an automatic :)

9. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    :confused:

10. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada

I think he picked up a hooker.

11. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    I don't pick up hitchhikers, but if I see someone walking and I am driving past on a slower street, I will drive along side them and chat a bit and then based on that I will invite them in.

12. Sep 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Did you try bargaining? That sounds high to me.

13. Sep 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    I bet she'd accept $50 if you paid her in coke.

14. Sep 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
  15. Sep 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    RI Tacoma

RI Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phx sometime soon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCLB
    OME 885's, Derped FJ TRD Wheels, Hankook Dynapro's ATM 265/75/16's, Retro's, WeatherTech Liners, Fog Light Mod, Bak Flip F-1, N-Fab Steps, 20% Tint, complete stereo, heated mirrors, Katzkin seats!!
    I hitched hiked in HI once after a pearl jam concert. I didnt bring my wallet or phone so I wouldnt lose them, instead I lost my friends. Got picked up by a couple chicks in a beater corolla. Started asking me questions like if I had any credit cards or cash. They stopped at a gas station and I bounced. I am pretty sure they would have robbed me, but I only had an ID on me. Last time I will ever hitch hike

Products Discussed in

To Top