1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sears Rant

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by neonlazer, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Oct 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    neonlazer

neonlazer [OP] Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    /rant

OK! Time to let off some steam. Anyone had issues with Sears? I ordered 4 items online, they all listed as shipped under one tracking #, I only received one of the items, called UPS twice, first guy was clueless and just said he would ask someone to look into it, second lady said they would ask ups to investigate a lost package. After about a week, I order one of the items again from the store, I get it...and the wrong items are in it...so went back to store to get refund and they say they can't refund it but can give me gift card..so I buy the stuff in the store(that they said they didnt have on the site..they didnt even realize they had it in the store..wierd)..so those i kept..finally today i get the items that were "missing" and one item is still missing..but other 2 are here..but one item is the stuff i bought in the store so bring it back....all in all..SEARS IS STILL IN THE STONE AGE OF COMPUTING! Their website and store services are not in sync at all...their instore computers look like computers from the 1980's and the people..ahem..one guy couldnt type worth a damn..so much so i said let me type in my address..LOL..when you have to look for letters..your too far gone...and their customer service is just plain MEH..

/endrant

I think I just had a Chris4x4 moment...:rofl:

2. Oct 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
  3. Oct 3, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I had a similar issue but it was a long time ago, before everyone had PCs. You could order through their catalog dept and pick it up at the catalog desk when it arrived.

Well I ordered a couple items on sale including one small folding pen knife. Went to pick the order up, opened the envelope at the counter and the little knife box was in there but it was empty. First they discussed between themselves if anyone saw me stash it, then they decided I was telling the truth so they said they would reorder it. I asked if they might have the same knife in the store and they stated they weren't allowed to do that because the store and catalog dept's were separate businesses.

:notsure:

4. Oct 3, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    2 things about Sears.

1) Back in the day (probably 25ish years ago) when my parents would order stuff from the Sears catalogue and pick it up in store, Sears would routinely ship items ridiculously late. So the bathing suits mom bought my sister and I would show up about the time the snow suits were coming out of the closet. Yeah, nevermind we'll just buy it at Kmart.

2) Back when Sears had an automotive department my mom took her car in to have a tire rotation done. The guys in the shop told her it needed new shocks, so she got that taken care of. Very next day my dad took the same car in for a flat from a nail in the tire and they told my dad it needed new shocks. Mom had not told him about the shocks she had just purchased so he ok'd them to do the work. Discovered this little development over dinner that night. Obviously my dad took both receipts and talked things over with store management (and got a full refund on both sets). That's about the last thing my parents ever bought at Sears, and it pretty much got passed on down through the family; I don't go there because I'm not in the habit of going there.

5. Oct 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Harbor Freight stores and the Onlines store are the same way. One won't acknowledge the other's sales and coupons.

6. Oct 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    To say Sears has poor customer service is a compliment.

I brought my 3 yr old Craftsman mower into a service location about 4 years ago to have the self-propelled mechanism fixed. Paid $110 a week later and brought it home. Not 5 minutes of use and it broke again, same thing. I call the store and after a protracted argument with the person on the other end said they would get it fixed fast but I would need to get it to them tomorrow.

I drive up the street on my lunch break the next day and wait in line for 20 minutes..foaming at the mouth all along. I should mention at that point I had hair halfway down my back and looked like I'd kill you for a quarter, haha. I made sure everyone in line and the store could hear me talk about how "$110 to fix a 3 yr old mower that cost $200, and it breaks not 5 minutes later..good quality stuff!" and other such things. The person who waited on me got a polite explanation of the issue (I figured hey not his fault) and I figured all was well. Then he told me 2-3 weeks. Oh no..I got the manager there who I had talked to yesterday and loudly reminded them of who I was and that this thing better be fixed in 3 days tops..and I'm only saying that because it will be raining the next 3 days so I can't use the mower anyways.

So I stroll in there 3 days later and when asked what I need I said "my F...ing lawnmower that you've "FIXED" twice in a week now..and I really need it to f...ing WORK!" The clerk looked about 22 yrs old and I think he wet his pants! The lady in charge came out and asked what my problem was..bad move. I unloaded a nice trash can of obscenities on her. It ended with "....and there will not be a 3rd time, since it will not be fixable after it comes through the front door!"

Well, almost 5 years later and that darn mower has never failed to start on the first pull :)

7. Oct 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Agree, I would have been storming to Sears Tower, Chicago over that one...:mad::mad:

I also forgot about one other incident. 30 years ago, I took my 81 Corolla in to Sears for an oil change and after about 30 minutes, they came out and said they could not get the oil filter off. That particular vehicle was very difficult, The front wheels had to be turned a certain direction then have a 2 inch diameter arm.

I started to show them how, but thought better of it. Not even sure if it was possible to do it with the car up on a lift.

8. Oct 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    SilverTacoEater

SilverTacoEater Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    Sears is horrible. I used to work there and all I can say is the management there is terrible.

Simple tasks like returning merchandise requires an un necessary amount of steps for the employee trying to do it and many times you have to get managers approval. Their computer system is terrible there, their website reciepts don't work with the in store system so it's incredibly difficult to do returns for stuff bought online.

Sears is getting left in the dust by their competition. it won't surprise me if they go out of business pretty soon.

Don't even get me started on the Car Care Department. In the time I worked there these three things happened:
    1. A customer got new tires put on their car. The idiot who did the work forgot to tighten the lugs on two of the wheels. :eek: Needless to say, one of the wheels fell off when the customer was driving home and their car was all screwed up. The guy was going at a low speed so he didn't get hurt. Sears had to pay to have the car repaired.
    2. One of the guys was changing the oil in an SUV.... Only... he didn't change the oil, he just drained it and forgot to fill it back up. The engine in the car blew on the customers way home. Sears had to replace the engine.
    3. A company employee (a buddy of mine actually) was having his oil changed in the care care department. Well, once AGAIN they didn't re fill the oil. The engine blew and Sears had to replace his engine.

Don't ever get your car taken care of there. They literally hire people right off the streets to do the maintenance with little or no experience.

9. Oct 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    matadorCE

matadorCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Prerunner Accesscab TRD Offroad
    Last time I went to Sears to look at mowers, all the employees where carrying around tablets/ipads on these shoulder sling bags in which they "looked stuff up" or whatever it is they were supposed to do. They looked ridiculous and they were still just as clueless as ever.

10. Oct 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    I feel your pain. I f*cking hate Sears. Long story short I ordered my mattress and boxspring from them during one of their sales. Essentially they didn't have the bed for me to sit on instore, then wouldn't let me buy the mattress in store and told me to do it online. Online said the sale price was in store only. So I called to order, they said I had to go into the store. Went back to the store (granted, a half hour drive away) and ordered it. Then it didn't come for a TWO WEEKS. I SLEPT ON THE DAMN FLOOR IN MY APARTMENT FOR A TWO WEEKS.
    I refuse to ever buy anything from them again.

11. Oct 11, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

I worked there just after turning 18 in the auto center. My training consisted of following around a stoned guy and watching him work for an hour or so. That said there were some really good very knowledgeable guys and gals there. Unfortunately most were run off by horrible management and the constant inflow of complete dumb asses. I won't go there anymore and really could not recommend them with clear conscious either.

When we checked the front end of a car during tire work, if we found no problems we were told to go look again.

12. Oct 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    These stories always remind me why I do as much of my own work as possible.

13. Oct 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    I too worked there for a long time..im so glad i got out of that dump

Products Discussed in