1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Registration and insurance cards missing / stolen?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by facemob, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Oct 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    facemob

facemob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    ok, so the other day I pull up in a parking lot and am about to head into a few stores. I notice a group of guys hanging out around the spot i parked in but nothing major to be suspicious about. So I go into Staples and get my office supply needs and am glancing out the front windows occasionally to make sure the truck is straight. come back out to the truck to drop the office supplies off before hitting the other 2 stores. do the same thing at the liquor store , come back out to drop it off, when i come back out i notice both my doors were unlocked.
    This is strange because i have a habit of always hitting the door lock button before closing the door, no matter what. So i look around the interior and nothing seems to be out of place, there are a shit load of tools, head unit, floor jack that could have been swiped but everything seemed to be in place. So i double check everything and get int the truck and go.
    This whole time now Im wondering if I forgot to lock the door or if someone popped the lock. So Im sitting in my house later that night thinking about what could have been taken.... The registration and insurance cards? Sure enough I go out and check and cant find them anywhere.
    Now on the other hand my truck was a disaster for the last month ( i have been moving) and i cleaned the shit out of it. I got pulled over in Jersey and had to show the cop license and reg, and they may not have made it back in the box, and then subsequently got thrown away during the clean.
    What do you guys think could happen if someone steals your registration and insurance cards... realistically.

I did contact my local dmv and they didnt seem too concerned (even though with a fake ID you could get a new title made up, then steal the truck). I also contacted insurance and the sense of urgency was the same. They said someone could potentially duplicate the info for another truck, but that was about it.

Any thoughts? really brings this whole identity theft issue home.

2. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    see if you can go back to the stores and see if they have cameras, if so tell them what time and day you were their and tell them what may have happened.

edit: i have started to look over my truck out side and inside, before i leave a store, especially if i was inside for a long time. some DB(that i prob know, and still wish i could find out) keyed my truck like 13 days after i got it last may. i also try and park where the cameras are facing, and at least 3 spaces from another car/truck. because if their is not a car or anything with in like 5 parking spots, their should be know reason for anyone to be near my truck other than me.

3. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    Good call, I looked around on the light posts when i noticed the doors unlocked and didnt see any cameras. Checking with the stores would be good.

4. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah, i know like wally world has some on the light polls and a bunch on the building.

5. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Some out of state contractors that are working for me had their work trucks broken into. The thieves stole the insurance and registration for the vehicle and some hardhats. I have heard of it being fairly common around San Antonio (where I am working now). Our best guess is that they are being shuffled south of the border to duplicate information for vehicles coming across. Assuming you are in Delaware, situation might not be the same.

6. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    Thats about the only thing i can think of. And i cant imagine many people duplicating a delaware tag.

7. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    At a night job I had many years ago, people's cars were getting broken into. Some had items stolen, others did not, but the common thread was the registration was stolen..in MA the insurance company is printed right on it so no separate paperwork.

The theory was either so the thieves would know which cars they had already gotten to, or to find out where the owners lived.

Scary either way, hope nothing further comes of it Facemob.

8. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    A little OT but still in the same vein...

A very popular place to get classic car parts had a sign up list if you wanted to get special sale catalogs in the mail.

Saw in the news (this was a few years ago) that this place was having young men break into these address on the list (knowing very well that there was a classic car in there) and stealing the cars and stripping them. That certainly explained how they were able to offer so many original parts...

Anyway~

I'm thinking that they saw what you bought, saw what you drive and that maybe you have some good stuff at the house. They have your address now and if the vehicle they saw you drive is not there....

Not trying to scare you, my neighbor was a thug like that. He would brag about the things he did and this just brought it to mind. But I live in a bad area so maybe that won't be the case.

9. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    facemob

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    This makes sense. On a good note as far as that goes, this happened in ny, all the paperwork is addreased to delaware. I live in ny now but haven't changed the vehicle info over yet

10. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Oh you are sooooooooooooo lucky!! :D The one time it pays to not change it over so early!!

11. Oct 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    don’t you only have 10 days to get all that done in NY? either way, i would get it done tomorrow if you can.

i looked in to all kinds of stuff, because i thought about moving to western NY where i have a lot of family.

12. Oct 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    A couple years ago I heard of ppl stealing registration and garage door openers, then going to the house and stealing shit. Odd to take reg. and ins. though and nothing else.

Products Discussed in

To Top