1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Firefighters!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by El Duderino 480, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    El Duderino 480

El Duderino 480 [OP] "The Dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 PreRunner Sr5
    K&N 77 Series,Flowmaster Exhaust, OME N140's, OME 885's, Billy 5100's, Toytec AAL's
    i have a few quick questions..i get out next june and plan on going to school in az. ive thought about doing firefighting for years, and it seems interesting. When i went to the gilbert fire department website, it says after completing an academy,you get sent to either an engine or ladder company, whats the diff? what college classes would help, besides EMT certified? i would like to see different perspectives of what you guys do, and if you guys like your job, and hours, etc.

2. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    engine company is non ladder truck...ladder company has a ladder truck. some good college classes are probably gonna be like fire science, science,fire engineering(if you have it, or something close to it)..also dosent hurt to take classes at your local fire academy

3. Jan 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Here you attend a Fire Academy and then apply to a City when they post.Most Departments bread and butter is Engine,Ladder and Rescue Companies,and the difference is the responsibilities that go with each.None more important than another but all unique.Like wildjersey said,an Engine Co.is the truck that's going to hook up to a plug,carries different sizes of hose and also hauls water.Engine guys(or gals) are responsible for establishing a water supply and advancing attack lines.Ladder Co.'s are trucks with a mounted aerial device(we've got 1- 75,1-100 and 1-120 footers) and numerous ground ladders for getting into the upper stories of buildings.The primary responsibility of Truckies is vent.Burning buildings create tremendous heat,smoke and pressure and an important first step in putting out a structure fire is to vent it in a controlled fashion.Rescue's generally carry specialized tools for heavy and light rescues.(Motor vehicle accidents,Industrial emergencies,trench rescue etc.)Squad guys are also usually tasked to forcible entry and search at fires......At the academy you will learn the basics of all operations but when you are assigned,the guys you are stationed with will really school you on whats what.These are just some very basic guidelines and every Department varies on policy.

I worked Rescue on our job for ten years and now am assigned to an Engine.........Best job in the world and I wish you well if you choose it.

Products Discussed in

To Top