1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road Rage - how would you have reacted?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by The Traveler, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    I was on my way to work today, and noticed my brother was a few cars behind me in the lane to my right driving his lowered Scion TC, on his way to work too. We're going down a road at about 45 mph with cars in front and behind both of us. I noticed he was behind some guy driving Nissan Titan, so he changed lanes to get behind me. Right after he did, the guy in the Titan cuts my brother off by what he said "inches" from his front bumper, and gets right behind me in my Taco as we all slow down for a red light. I could tell it was really close because my bro had to slam on his brakes and he had cars behind him too. My brother honked his horn for a long 3 seconds, and yelled at the guy for making such a dangerous maneuver. Right after that at the light, the guy starts yelling back at my bro, gets out of his truck and starts charging at my brother's car while he's still sitting in his seat. My bro reached into his back seat and grabbed a 1/2" torque wrench he always carries, held it out the window, and the dude turned right back around, shut up, and got in his truck. By that time, the light turned green and my brother made the next left turn, the Titan still behind me for a bit until he turned off as well.

I called my bro and asked why he did that, and he said he felt threatened and it totally scared the guy off. I told him never to do that because you never know what the other party's got in the car. He said if he had gotten out he would have probably gotten in a fist fight, and being 20 years old, 5'10" and 120lbs, he isn't exactly a fighter. The other guy was beefy looking, and could have easily taken him out.

I don't know what his motive was for getting all pissed off, because he was clearly in the wrong...but I wondered what I'd do if I was in my brother's situation. So I thought I'd ask you guys. Keep in mind, CA laws prohibit concealed or open carry in a vehicle, and weapons can only be transported with the magazine and unloaded gun separated and out of the driver's reach.

How would you have handled it?

2. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    If guy gets out of car i would drive away and call the cops. Let the professionals handle it and try not to escalate it I guess. Hard to say without being in it.

3. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I thought about that, but he was locked in with cars to his right and behind him, and a divider to his left.

4. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    North Star

North Star I keep planets in orbit

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    07' Double Cab 4x4
    N-fab side steps, Extang hard tonneau cover, Terra Grappelers
    Pew pew pew!

Seriously though, he could have just taken his license plate down and called the cops on him for driving erratically and dangerously.

Stupid Titans. It probably had 24" chromies on it too huh? All to common around here.

5. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Get a tag number, description of vehicle, description of occupants, number of occupants and call the authorities to write a complaint or civilian citation. In SC as soon as he touches the car in an aggressive manor we have to right to shoot him dead.

6. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    precoma

precoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Lake Arrowhead, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 trd sport
    Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel, Defined SUA
    This should be good :popcorn:

7. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    tomwilson74

tomwilson74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD double cab OR
    OME 3” lift Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheels
    You mentioned CA gun laws, just remember, everyone doesn't abide by the law.

8. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    I would have pulled the cell phone out and been calling 911 as soon as the guy got out of his truck. I'm sure the more panicy your brother would have sounded the more of a response he might have gotten from the guy.

On a further note... don't ever honk at someone out of anger/frustration/rage. It just makes you look that much worse. Just let it go... nothing you do while in a car is going to change what anyone else does, and the sooner you embrace that, the sooner traveling around a bunch of morons becomes less painful.

That said, just simply write down his license plate, let the cops know, and sit back. If nothing comes of it from the police, you can always go into serial stalker mode, get his address with the license plate, and wait until the lights in his house go out before you remove all of the valves from his valve stems :p

and no, I've never done that before... just thought about :D

9. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    It sounds a little bit more like 'Roid Rage' rather than 'Road Rage.' I can't imagine why someone would get so pissed off to the point of getting out of their car in traffic to charge someone who honked his horn at them.

10. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I think my brother honked his horn because he figured the dude didn't see him, because the guy drove a Titan and my brother drives a lowered Scion. I find it perfectly OK to honk to avoid an accident, even if the guy is willingly maneuvering like a jackass.

11. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Would have done the same thing. Even if he's packing a gun, I'm going down swingin. Most people that get out like they are tough actually have small penis syndrome and need to compensate by acting like a badass. You can tell who's a true serious threat right away.

12. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    HedgehogOutdoors

HedgehogOutdoors Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CT
    Vehicle:
    '98 4runner SR5
    I wouldn't have the "best" response in terms of legality, if I was old enough and he came to my vehicle like that, I'd aim a firearm at him, not shoot him, though. Just to keep him away. If he continued on, I'd fire. I realize that's not a good reason to potentially end someone's life, but they have the same opportunity.

13. Oct 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    thats every day driving in an 18 wheeler.

14. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    I wouldn't of honked in the first place, but beyond that I would have done the same thing

15. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    If they only knew what we see out of our "Office windows":cool: everyday...How hard it is to wave and/or smile back at EVERY single finger salute...lock down 37-40 ton at the drop of a hat...How they fill that "safe space" with 2-3 cars just to be in "front".....

My favorite is when the main office calls and tells me to pull over and check my brake lights;are they working because a lady just called and said she almost ran into me while I was "Driving too SLOW through an EZ-Pass lane":rolleyes:

I have had them follow me onto a job site and try to "engage" BUT they usually get the "Hint" when moving parts and air-valve noises have my full attention; a tag axle going up or a tarp bar slamming down into place usually make them want "OUT" very quickly :p...

OP, was your brother right "bearing arms" ???? If he felt that threatened,then yes BUT what if "Titan " had still progressed towards him ??

Pick up that phone and hit 911 or your State Trooper "hot #"...This usually gets a quicker response...

NH has *77 for NH State Troopers and we use it quite regulary for "road rage idiots"...taking a tag # and car color/make takes just a few seconds and gives "just cause" for a Trooper to pull that car over for a "Talk" ;)

16. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
  17. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Here's what I do in the pull-over-and-let's-fight situation:

I had a guy cut me off really bad in a merge situation about 2 months ago in the late evening. Our lanes had already combined, the dotted white line was already gone, and I was in front by a good 3 car lengths. The guy guns it and goes into the oncoming lane and damn near runs me off the road. I give him a taste of 8 million candlepower of my LightForce Genesis lights right into his back window and he flips me off. So, we go around the next roundabout and he gets all pissy and lets me pull up next to him. Flipping me off, yelling, and pointing to a turn-in to a grocery store, he zooms in front of me and pulls in. It was a pretty busy public place, and I don't give two shits about what other people want to do to me, so I pull in behind him and turn on the beams again.

As soon as we both get to a stop, I switch on my amped P.A. (horn mounted in my front bumper) and catch him before he opens his door. I never identified myself as an officer of any agency whatsoever, I just forcefully told him "Driver! Turn off your vehicle and put your hands on the wheel!". He stops in his tracks, waits for about 3 seconds, and then you can see his wife/gf look over at him and say something, and he turns off the car and puts his hands on the wheel! I then tell him "Driver, take your right hand and remove your keys from the ignition and toss them out the window!". Again, a 3 second hesitation and then he tosses his keys about 10 feet away! Next, I tell him "Driver, slowly get out of your vehicle and lay face down on the ground!". He does this immediately. I then tell him to put his hands behind his head and cross his ankles. Again he obliges. I let him sit there for about 10 seconds, then I found my opportunity to turn behind him to the right and zip around a restaurant building out of sight and back on my way home. I could see him still laying face down in the parking lot as I was driving away, my license plate long out of sight.

I wonder what he thought really went on, and I bet he'll think twice about being a dick to a stranger. But, if worse comes to worse and I get in a pinch, I never carry a gun. I would bust out the Crovel Extreme. Usually people just leave me alone because I drive pretty conservatively.

18. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:

LMFAO!! :rofl:

I need to use my PA like this sometime! :D

19. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Fucking priceless!!!!! I am getting my CB soon and definately getting a PA now!!

:cheers:

20. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Just be careful because regardless of whether to identify yourself as an authority figure or not you could still get in trouble for impersonating an officer or at least get a citation for using the PA.

Products Discussed in

To Top