1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question for the parents

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by OU812, Jan 22, 2009.

?

Does your child have a cell phone -pre-teen

Poll closed Feb 1, 2009.
  1. Yes, elementary school

20.0%
  2. Yes, junior high

30.0%
  3. No, we use smoke signals

50.0%
  1. Jan 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Yeah but then we end up punishing the ones that are. I was allowed to drive at 15, not only that but my dad and grand dad were driving way before that and seemed fine back then. Then again I am talking country not much city driving. But I do agree with that as my gf cousin is and when she comes to the house has to park in my empty lot.

2. Jan 22, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    But, unfortunately, many parents (and probably the majority) want it to stay at 16 because they're tired of carting them around places. It's a matter of convenience for them. Lazy bastards.... :)

You know, I talk big and harsh because I don't have kids. I only hope that I'd stick to my guns if I had them, but I realize it's much easier said than done when you're a parent...

3. Jan 22, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Let them beg!!!:devil:

4. Jan 22, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I didn't say they CAN'T drive at 16, they just shouldn't drive alone. You have to learn somehow and you only gain experience by doing it. But there should be a much longer time of "supervised instruction" before driving alone.

5. Jan 22, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Agreed! Or, they can get out, mow lawns, wash cars, whatever, to earn money. Now, it'll take 'em a year to earn enough to buy an iPhone, but it'll help them learn the value of a dollar. Something that has sadly been lost for more than just the current generation.

6. Jan 22, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    I completely agree with they need for them to earn the phone. When we hooked up Tylers he got my old beat up phone. He was telling me a gild in his class 6th grade broke her I-phone and had to settle for a blackberry somerthin or other. The poor little girl, my heart goes out to her. :mad:

7. Jan 22, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    oh my...i grew up with just my mom, and I could see the value of a buck and how hard she worked just to get me the 24 pack of crayons(they have like a 300pack now) Kids just don't see it these days and especially with this economy the way it is. I can barely afford it myself..and I got the basic plan.

8. Jan 22, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Ok so I have to be an adult to make money to pay for the cell phone. I would just like to say to all it was nice being able to have a discussion without it dissolving into a pissing match, (unlike some other sites I belong to).

Thanks,

9. Jan 22, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I've had a cell phone since 8th grade, I'm now a senior. Parents like it so they can keep track of me. Also most new cell phones have a feature that you can turn on this GPS thing inside of it if your a parent and locate your kid as long as their phone is on.

Info on the GPS thing from Sprint:

http://www.nextel.com/en/services/gps/family_locator.shtml

10. Jan 22, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    Wow that GPS feature seems pretty neat.

11. Jan 22, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    i dont have one and im 16 1/2 but i got in a wreck today so well see if i get one with in the next week

it good to have for just emergencys

12. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    No kids here since i'm only 20 and in college but thought i'd chime in none the less. I didn't get a cell phone until I was a freshman in high school. And I didn't need one until then. It's simple: keep track of where your kids go and if they lie or go somewhere that you didn't approve, they get punished. I've seen other parents give their kids phones and run up texting/calling bills as much as $200 in one month; but the parent made their irresponsible 14 yr old do things to pay for it himself at least. Really, if you think about it, what "emergency" is a child going to know how to properly respond/react and call the appropriate person or call for help. No, I think they wouldnt be able to think straight and doing the right thing would be the last thing on their mind at the time.

PS. to those of you who think the driving age should be increased: I started driving at 16, still haven't had a single accident, and don't have a single ticket. SOME teens can be responsible. The problem is, many pass the driving test with absolutely no real driving skills. I think thats where the whole process needs to be altered, the test is simply too easy and only proves that you understand the rules of the road, not how to drive on it. IMO the test should be more difficult, and penalties should be awarded if you fail more than once. ie having to wait 1-2 months before retaking, etc.
    just my $.02

13. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    I agree to a point. We blocked Tyler from text and internet in his phone while it was new and he could prove to me he would not abuse the minutes, and most of all not lose the phone. Now he can text, we gave him unlimited text and it keeps the minutes down.

Also I have had no accidents or tickets and I am about to turn 31, just because I did not get caught doesn't mean I didn't to stupid stuff though. :)

14. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Mr Wiggles

Mr Wiggles Supergroovalisticprosifun kstication

Member:
    I don't have kids either, but if/when i do, i will get them a cell once they're in school. I remember once or twice when i was in elementary school that a cell would've saved my ass! I agree with the 'bare bones' models that only allow calls to certain numbers, but i believe you shouldn't block the numbers it can receive. If your cell is dead and your with a friend and NEED to call your kid, what happens if your friends' cell is blocked?

I got my first cell phone when i was 12, and i have been working since i was 11. The deal my parents gave me with my first cell is they bought the phone, and paid the basic monthly charges. If i went over or wanted call display, etc, i had to pay for it. It worked out really well.

I believe in this day and age a cell phone is absolutely necessary. I haven't had a home phone in 10 years!

15. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:

16. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Cell phones have become just another toy that parents are afraid to say No too, the kid whines and uses the age old statement "Everybody Else has One" and the parents give in and justify their lack of back bone by saying "I can keep track of them and they can contact me in case of an emergency"

C'mon, your kid is in school all day and if their is an emergency, I bet the school has not only a phone but emergency contact numbers for you in the office.

The kids walk down the street talking and sending text messages to the friend standing right next to them.
    Cell phones are nothing more then another toy that the kids whine about getting until they get their way.

17. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:

Please don't lump me in with a general statement like that. I can and do say no. I don't give a shit if all the kids are getting tatoos on their foreheads, Tyler is not. Yes there are games on the phone and yes I have had him and his friend texting in the backseat of the truck when we are driving. For our situation I find the cell phone to be a usefull tool that does come with the possibility to be abused. That is why i get full itemized statements from At&t to see who he is calling, what time of day and how long they are chatting.

18. Jan 22, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road

I stand by my statement that it is nothing more then a toy ;)

19. Jan 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    My son who is 17 has a cell phone and texts like a crazy person fortunately I had enough forsight to get the unlimited texting feature. so that is not an issue. He has a couple of rules like not talking or texting while driving and if he is at home he uses the home phone not the cell. The phone came in handy this summer when nhe went to a party with friend and the driver got tanked, he was able to call me without any problem and I was able to get him and his friends home safely. I am now also considering getting one for my daughter who is 7 for emergencies, she plays soccer, does gymnastics and cheers so she is always at practice somewhere. Typically my wife and I are with her all the time at these events but if something where to happen I would rather have the piece of mind knowing she can get ahold of us rather than blaming myself if something where to happen to her.

20. Jan 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    Jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    I am not denying that it can be used as a toy sometimes. But I find it benificial for him to have it.

Products Discussed in

To Top