Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

WTF is wrong with Craigslist scamers?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
WTF is wrong with Craigslist scamers?

Does anyone really fall for their BS story?
Usually its:
I'm in the military and can't leave the base
I'm out to sea & don't have access to the internet
I'm buying it for my ________ (fill in the blank)
They want to send you $1000.00 to cover shipping and will pay you through paypal.

rosesmith371@gmail.com
Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good condition and that i will not be disappointed with it. i will love to buy this item.i want to be the best offer by adding $100 to your money then keep other offers off,where i am i don't have access to my bank account and i have access to my paypal account.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank account attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payment asap for the item and if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after i have made the payment. Get back to me in time.

My reply translated into ebonics using http://joel.net/EBONICS/Translator, lets see
if they are stupid enough to answer

Yo Rose, yeea it iz in pimp-tight condition. ah need ta clean it out cuz right now ah gots uh dead midget crack beeotch in da back & ah need ta go out ta da desert an' bury her. pimp-tight thin` da 4 wheel cruize werkz LOL. When can yo' agent pick it up? ah need ta do uh real pimp-tight cleaning motha fuckin job you know how those CSI ****** is. dey might find blood or sperm under da rubber floor mats. Send paypal ta suckmy_cock@AOL.COM Thanks Ya' dig?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
a friend of mine came within a hairs breadth of falling for the
"My son died in Afghanistan, and every time I look at the truck, it reminds me of him; the pain is too much BUY THIS TRUCK FOR $5000"
Cant believe it didn't ring the scam bell in his head
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
PBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura aboutPBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
PBR Streetgang's Tacoma Gallery
I was selling my truck on CL and a guy calls me. My ad I said that I have the clean title in hand, ready to go. At first he sounds like a normal guy just looking for a truck, but then he says that actually he wants to offer me a secured loan where his company holds the title of my truck as collateral against the loan. That way I still get to drive my truck and have the money too. Right when he said "and we keep the title to your truck" I got furious and told him to fuck off.

A little while later I was thinking it over and I realized I may have been a little harsh, so I would like to share a more appropriate response for TW members who might get a similar call while selling a vehicle. Instead of yelling at them like I did, listen to their proposal, express interest, tell them it sounds like a good idea since you need the money, ask them how it works, and then ask if you might be able to add a small condition as part of the deal. The guy calling you will think he's about to close the deal and he'll ask you, "sure, what would you like to include in the deal?" Then, in a calm, polite, sincere voice, ask him if it would be OK, just for your peace of mind you know, since they are going to hold the title for you and all, ask him if you could take a big huge shit in his mouth. That's going to be my response the next time someone offers me a secured loan against a truck that I own free and clear!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
I was selling my truck on CL and a guy calls me. My ad I said that I have the clean title in hand, ready to go. At first he sounds like a normal guy just looking for a truck, but then he says that actually he wants to offer me a secured loan where his company holds the title of my truck as collateral against the loan. That way I still get to drive my truck and have the money too. Right when he said "and we keep the title to your truck" I got furious and told him to fuck off.

A little while later I was thinking it over and I realized I may have been a little harsh, so I would like to share a more appropriate response for TW members who might get a similar call while selling a vehicle. Instead of yelling at them like I did, listen to their proposal, express interest, tell them it sounds like a good idea since you need the money, ask them how it works, and then ask if you might be able to add a small condition as part of the deal. The guy calling you will think he's about to close the deal and he'll ask you, "sure, what would you like to include in the deal?" Then, in a calm, polite, sincere voice, ask him if it would be OK, just for your peace of mind you know, since they are going to hold the title for you and all, ask him if you could take a big huge shit in his mouth. That's going to be my response the next time someone offers me a secured loan against a truck that I own free and clear!
Not sure this is a scam. I think they were just trying to offer you a loan and as collateral you hand them the title. When said loan is payed off you get your title back. It's an option for certain people during these times to get some cash and pay it back in the long run...the interest they're gonna charge you is probably f'ed though.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
When it gets down to them wanting my name, address etc I usually tell them
My name is Harry Ballsack
1313 Mockingbird LN
West Dakota 78003
And look up a phone number for a FBI office then try to get them to call me, collect if they need to.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Just has one over the weekend as I sold my iPhone . Feel sorry for the gullible .
Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
PBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura aboutPBR Streetgang has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
PBR Streetgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
Not sure this is a scam. I think they were just trying to offer you a loan and as collateral you hand them the title. When said loan is payed off you get your title back. It's an option for certain people during these times to get some cash and pay it back in the long run...the interest they're gonna charge you is probably f'ed though.
I didn't advertise that I need a loan. If I need a loan I'll go to the bank, not some mystery dirtbag from craigslist. The interest rate they're gonna charge is why it's a scam!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah those companies that offer you a loan has s high interest rate and the amountt of the loan is low .
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
Does anyone really fall for their BS story?
Usually its:
I'm in the military and can't leave the base
I'm out to sea & don't have access to the internet
I'm buying it for my ________ (fill in the blank)
They want to send you $1000.00 to cover shipping and will pay you through paypal.

rosesmith371@gmail.com
Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that it's in good condition and that i will not be disappointed with it. i will love to buy this item.i want to be the best offer by adding $100 to your money then keep other offers off,where i am i don't have access to my bank account and i have access to my paypal account.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank account attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payment asap for the item and if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to http://www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after i have made the payment. Get back to me in time.

My reply translated into ebonics using http://joel.net/EBONICS/Translator, lets see
if they are stupid enough to answer

Yo Rose, yeea it iz in pimp-tight condition. ah need ta clean it out cuz right now ah gots uh dead midget crack beeotch in da back & ah need ta go out ta da desert an' bury her. pimp-tight thin` da 4 wheel cruize werkz LOL. When can yo' agent pick it up? ah need ta do uh real pimp-tight cleaning motha fuckin job you know how those CSI ****** is. dey might find blood or sperm under da rubber floor mats. Send paypal ta suckmy_cock@AOL.COM Thanks Ya' dig?
Holy shit That's funny right der
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't had any scammers with my latest post (2 couches), just morons that WASTE the shit out of my time.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Old Newbie
Chad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad7088's Tacoma Gallery
Not through craigslist, but just to share a scam call i received once. A guy calls me at home offering me an opportunity to buy vitamins. The cost was $798 for the year. With my credit card purchase I will receive my daily vitamins for an entire year and in doing so I will also be able to enjoy one of four computer picked prizes.

1. $2000 cashiers check
2. $5000 cashiers check
3. big screen television (this is when big screens were coming out)
4. toyota pickup

I was like wow, so all I need to do is buy vitamins for $798 and I get one of these prizes? LOL..He's like thats right sir.

I said, huh, well I'll tell you what I'm not a greedy guy so just give me the least prize of $2000 and take the $798 out of that and send me the difference.....silence......"uh, well I'm not sure that is what the computer is going to pick for you" LOL...I said this is a scam and hung up.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Old Newbie
Chad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad7088's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai38` View Post
When it gets down to them wanting my name, address etc I usually tell them
My name is Harry Ballsack
1313 Mockingbird LN
West Dakota 78003
And look up a phone number for a FBI office then try to get them to call me, collect if they need to.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I was trying to sell my truck once and the guy wasn't really a scammer, but all he wanted to know was where the truck was parked. My brother was driving it around Minneapolis so I had it listed up there. In my ad I stated, "Will meet at Walmart if interested in viewing the truck".
The guy emails me and says, "Where is the truck located?.
I say, "Minneapolis. I can meet at the Walmart on (street)"
He emails back, "I work late and want to look at it after work. Where will it be parked overnight?"
I said, "Are you planning to steal it? Good luck. It has a 2-way alarm with shock sensor, engine immobilizer, and is parked in a gated drive."
Never heard back from him.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
Dcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedDcpsychobilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dcpsychobilly's Tacoma Gallery
I once played along with a scam (trying to sell a truck).
I did receive a check.....it was the size of a full size sheet of paper 8 x 11 I think, flat out fake. Also did recieve international phone calls because the "buyer " was over seas and his employee was going to be in town to pick up a vehicle lol. Was obviously fake but I wanted to see how far they went, I wanted to see if some one would show up. Oh the things they would have received lmao
Old 11-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #17
Zombie
SkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Skeeter
SkeeterBilt's Tacoma Gallery
ahaha im sellinb my old truck on craigslist and have gotten about 4 of these
heres one
Thanks for your response, I am quite okay with your price,I need you to understand that i am willing and ready to purchase it right away and Please note that i have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement anywhere in the world,he would be coming for the pickup,after you have received payment,which would be through PayPal,If this is acceptable,advice soon as i am a Sailor and i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift,c of it,I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i do not have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my PayPal account,and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your pay pal email address to make the payment and some pictures if you do not have a PayPal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payment has been sorted.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 AM   #18
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Those guys wanting to use a 3rd party shipping agency and pay via Paypal are obvious scammers. I have had a few of those emails whne I was selling my truck. I just say that I am willing to meet in person to discuss the details, and ONLY in person.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
Zombie
SkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkeeterBilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Skeeter
SkeeterBilt's Tacoma Gallery
i dont even email them back when i get those emails

theyve even began to text my phone and in the ad i write my number like this one-2-three. so i took my number off and told them to email me their numbers and ill call them
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
spongjim is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
spongjim's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Alabama and sold a camaro to a Jefferson county cop who didnt bring all the money with him to pickup the car and assured me he would bring me the rest the next day. He was in uniform and in his patrol car so I decided to trust the POS . I havent seen him since and he wont answer his phone or email . I guess I know now you cant even trust a cop and why this county is in such bad shape money wise. The car was on Craigs list also.