1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper shells on trucks and California DMV fees

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Evil Monkey, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Jan 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    BayTaco

BayTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD RT 4WD DBL CAB SB
    2.5" Lift, 265/75R16 A/Ts, aFe Pro Dry S, ARE Shell, Magnaflow
    x2 better than giving it away!

2. Jan 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I bookmarked your post a while ago. Thanks. I decided to do this and I have started the process with the DMV and the finance company. So far so good.

3. Jan 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    Colt1195

Colt1195 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I own property in another state so I register my truck there.

California was making me pay $310 a year.

My new state is $22 a year.

F U California !!!!

grubburg likes this.
  4. Jan 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    BayTaco

BayTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD RT 4WD DBL CAB SB
    2.5" Lift, 265/75R16 A/Ts, aFe Pro Dry S, ARE Shell, Magnaflow
    Best of luck and hope the process is smoother for you than it was for me!

5. Jan 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Thank you. I'm keeping detailed notes and will repost them in this thread for posterity so that others may be helped. My experience has already taken two different twists so far.

6. Mar 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Okay folks. I'm all done paying the ridiculous California truck tax, a.k.a. the $80.00 annual "weight fee." My new plates and registration came in the mail yesterday.

My experience was different from Bay Taco's, although reading his gave me a place to start. There is an additional form to be filled out and the DMV wrote about in this press release

PART 1
    I made an appointment and went to the DMV in January. I explained that I want to change the body type of my vehicle. In my possession I had a DMV from 256 titled "Statement of Facts." I had completed section G. with one sentence that read: "Vehicle has a permanent camper shell installed on the bed." The DMV rep on the spot made me fill out DMV form 256A titled "Miscellaneous Certifications," on this from I had to fill out section E. titled. "Certification of Vehicle for Human Habitation." this filling out basically means I checked a box that read "This vehicle was permanently modified" and another check box to indicate "camper attached." Singed and dated. Now, the DMV rep asked me for my title which of course I did not have. He explained that in order to complete the process they need title and that the finance company would have to mail the title in to to local DMV to complete the process.

PART 2
    I initiated the process with the finance company over the phone and finally made contact with someone who could actually do something. I stated what I wanted to do and then faxed over copies of the incomplete application that was given to me by the DMV rep along with a letter which was short and explained what I was trying to do. They scoffed at sending the title to the DMV, and explained that it only existed as electrons in a database held at Sacramento. Nevertheless they finally agreed to order the paper title, and told me that I had to send them all original documents including the incomplete application from the DMV and that they would take care of the rest. I reluctantly agreed. The DMV rep told me to keep the original and not give it to the finance company, but I did it anyway. Much to my surprise the plates and new registration arrived yesterday in the mail.

The former "Body Type Model" of my registration used to say "PK", now it reads "PM".

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    sdpnoy, 4wdExplorer and angeldavid216 like this.
  7. Mar 21, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    Thanks for detailed info. I plan to do this next year. Spaced out in Feb and paid the weight fee...uhg!

8. Mar 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    You're welcome.

You can do it at any time regardless of when your registration is due. Not having title in hand, it took me 63 calendar days to complete the process. If you have title, you can probably get it done within 1 day and get new plates in a few weeks.

Good luck.

9. Mar 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Outstanding! Quick question, are there limitations on what is deemed
    " permanently mounted " ?

10. Mar 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey [OP] There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Though you can do it at any time, I don't think they'll refund already paid commercial fees. It would just reflect in your next registration.

11. Mar 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I think it's more intended as "you can never take it off" rather than the method of attachment. Mounted to the rails should be sufficient.

12. Mar 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    Mudfinger

Mudfinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lefty
    Long Beach, California
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 Shorty 3.4L 4x4
    Huh, I checked into this after reading about this issue on another thread, and it turns out I'm one of the lucky ones; I pay only 24 bucks extra to register my truck (1995.5 reg. cab, shortbed, 4x4).

I can live with that.

13. Mar 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Yes. By changing the body type, it only affects future registrations.

No. The term "permanently mounted" is not codified, and for this purpose it is entirely political. I don't think the DMV will inspect the truck, or care to. The forms (256 & 256A) are signed (by me) to certify or declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California. So, my word is my bond. The penalty for breaking the law is to pay fines, go to jail. Etc.

Exactly. ;)

14. Mar 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    dgtacoma

dgtacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dg
    norcal- bay area
    Vehicle:
    08 longbed pre
    debadged billet grill
    just checked my fee is $24 a year, 08 dub.cab long bed prerunner. is it worth it? plan on keeping it for some time.

15. May 29, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    if you keep it for 10 years, you'd save $240.
    if your objective is to save money, then it is not feasible.
    if you are hell bent on not letting CA get your $24 a year, then do it.

16. Nov 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    Alright I've been paying my goddamned "gravity tax" for too long. Anyone in socal willing to let me borrow their camper shell to go jump through these hoops? I'll give you a hundred before I throw my 80 at the state again!

17. Nov 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    sdpnoy, taco_whisperer and grubburg like this.
  18. Nov 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    The shell has to remain on the truck.

19. Nov 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    and since the shell adds weight, your mileage will be affected. So you pay either way, you cannot escape gravity.

paying gravity tax since 2013 too long?

the upside of having a commercial license plate is you can legally park in loading zone (for a short time though).

20. Nov 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Vehicle:
    I've been paying a weight fee since the day they implemented the bullshit. I've thrown thousands to the wind and never once used any truck I've owned for commercial purposes. And I'm sure the risk of being caught with it off is the same as running with tint and uncovered lights. so far, so good.

kgarrett11 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top