1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One Random Assed Life Experience..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BrokenTusk, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:13 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk [OP] I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I now understand how all those people in the Aliens movies felt when the aliens acid end up getting splash on them. I recently had the joy of this experience. It is not a very joyful one as one might suspect, in fact, I dare say the feeling of your skin melting off you is excruciatingly painful.

I was standing next to an industrial strength chemical biocide for killing organic material earlier tonight. Me and the PVC chem pipe-line were chillin all buddy buddy like when suddenly, out of no-where, it screams out "Fuck You dinosaur" and explodes. So naturally, being betrayed by a seemingly dormant plastic pipe, I was caught off guard. Thankfully, I was in full bunker gear, so the only thing exposed was my face. This sudden burst of chemical anger gave me just slightly enough notice to stand there and take it front on fullforce. I used the face-defence.

It took a second to contemplate and realize the fact that I was now covered head to toe in acid. The burning sensation begining near immediately. Leaving me with the simplest yet most difficult of choices. The safety shower was accross the building 100 ft away or I could use the exit door 10 ft to my right and chance the snow might be enough.

Choosing the faster method I burst outside and dove into the snow. Flinging the hard hat, safety glasses, and 1 leather glove off whilst still airborne.

Knowing that I couldn't scrub myself off with one hand still in an acid covered glove, I gave it another even harder crack of the wrist attempting to fling the glove to freedom. But something was wrong. The glove was becoming tighter. Then it dawned on me, my gear was begining to melt.

Knowing I would shortly be drowning myself in snow, I didn't hesitate reaching through the caustic substance to forcibly remove the remaining glove. Followed by the rest of my bunker gear. Down to regular clothes in seconds. Realizing the neckline of my tshirt was contaminated as well, I tore it off instantly, scrubbed my entire head, neck, shoulders & now hands with ice cold snow. As the intense burning began to subside, I was afforded a moment of peace.

Kneeling in the snow, watching a cloud of steam rise off my adrenaline fueled body, I looked up at the starry night sky and chuckled a little to myself. Then I remembered the line was still spewing biocide everywhere, and I had a job to do. Back into the complex I went, gearless, no tools, and half naked, running straight to the isolation valves to stop the spill.

Leaving the complex, I threw all my contaminated gear in the box of the truck, re-washed the new burning off my hands, hopped in the truck and headed back to the operations complex. Where I stayed in a shower for an hour slowly cooling the afterburn. Been lotioning it ever since.

All in all I escaped relatively unscathed, face is a little red, mild throbbing pain. I attribute my exceedingly mild injuries due to quick thinking and having a 'No panic' type of reaction to emergancies, a few more seconds of hesitation could'vt made it much worse. Oh, and biocide tastes like shit.

And thats how I celebrated my 25th birthday.

2. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:16 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Glad you made it out OK...why was the safety shower 100' away from this hazard?

When the investigation is complete on the mishap, let us know the details...

I have spent the last 25 years as a Safety Engineer...

Howard

3. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    Well.. That was intresting, good reactions on knowing what to do and great storytelling as well.

Good to hear you made it out all right. :thumbsup:

4. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
  5. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:22 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk [OP] I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Yea, definitely going to be an investigation, lord knows I've been filling out paperwork all night. In reality the shower was closer to 80' feet away I'm guesstimating. Still a fair distance. And the entire complex handles hazardous commodities, the shower is placed in the middle. Still would've been nice to have it closer.
    Thx :thumbsup:

6. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:23 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    damn! glad you relatively all right!! could have been worse! guess it pays to be in a place that gets lots of snow.

7. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:47 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Dam glad you are OK. So there is a use for snow!

8. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:49 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    there is MANY uses for snow. :p:D

9. Dec 14, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    :eek: Fuck that pipe!

10. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:11 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
  11. Dec 14, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Wowsers. Glad you're ok!

12. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    :eek: holy shit dude, glad your ok. Remind them that this is why they should pay you more to do your job.

13. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    KiltedRonin

KiltedRonin Poor Impulse Control

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronin
    Silver Spring, MD.
    Vehicle:
    2011 access cab, MGM, leer 180.
    Good thing you had those safety glasses on! I see so many get lazy with those, that things like this are a good story to tell them... So they'll put the damn things on!

14. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:12 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Jeebus! Good reactions saved your hide for sure. Still, must've scared the daylights out of ya.

15. Dec 14, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Amen. I got lazy about my safety glasses until one day, while I randomly had them on because I hardly ever wore them, I opened a drum of solvent and it splashed right into my face, 80% of it right on my safety glasses. Safety glasses became my new religion.

16. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    dfrugia

dfrugia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Goose
    Roswell, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD OFF RD 4X4
    Running boards w/steps, Weathertechs
    How do your dinosaur short arms reach your face? I call BS on this entire story..:crapstorm:

17. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I have seen a lot of your posts, but don't know you personally. I will say that I am very glad that you fared as well as you did. Thank God for there being snow. If you had to sprint that 80 feet things could have been much worse. I had the pleasure of having a radiator cap on a car explode, spraying my face and eyes with 240 degree coolant, so I have a hint of an idea how painful it was for you. I was in a bit of a panic on my end because the explosion blinded me and I had to rely on coworkers to get me to the shower. Thank God my sight returned in a few hours. I am very glad that you came out of this better for wear. Obviously it could have been worse. Best wishes for a full recovery, and I hope that nobody else was injured in this.

18. Dec 14, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    Glad you're OK Marcel. That is one messed up way to spend a birthday. Your quick thinking probably saved your skin, literally. And I second the comment on safety glasses, eyes aren't an easy thing to replace.

19. Dec 14, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    Glad your okay man!

20. Dec 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Interesting evening to say the least. Hope everything turns out OK, glad you will get to see 26!

Products Discussed in

To Top