1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Proud to Not Own a Gun?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by dizzle01333246, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    dizzle01333246

dizzle01333246 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    We have had some breakins in my neighborhood but they were when the people living there were gone. I'm sure they staked out the area for a while and waited for them to go on vacaction.

2. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Content?

3. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    I grew up in small town Illinois; we rarely even locked the doors, and would leave our cars running in the grocery store parking lot in the winter. :cheers:

4. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I wouldn't say I'm proud or content. I have no problem with reasonable guns and while I'm not a hardcore "pro gun" ( for lack of a better term ) person I still think at some point I'll end up with a handgun of some sort.

5. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    dizzle01333246

Member:
    content yeah thats better

6. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The member who made that comment did not have any guns and I think that was his point. Someone made a comment about safe firearm handling and he responded saying kids might change your mind. While the adult gun owner might be very proficient, a child might not be and that could lead to an accident. I don't have kids yet but I would never forgive myself if a child got ahold of my gun and something bad happened. For that reason, and I'm sure I'll get chided for saying this, my guns are always locked up and the ammo locked up separately and hidden. Guns are for fun and hunting for me. While I agree they are great for personal defense, the risks are too great for me to keep mine out and accessible.

7. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Right now I live in a college town apartment so it's pretty hard to come in and take stuff without anyone noticing or hearing something odd.

I'll be honest, I don't lock my door unless I'm going to be gone for more than a day. My computer is the only thing I would be mad losing since it has all my college stuff on it. :cheers:

8. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Same here! I'm proud we have the right to own one if we choose in this country, but not proud to own one.

9. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    dizzle01333246

Member:
    No way man I have no problem with that. We need more responsible gun owners like you in this world. Unfortunately that actions of a few ruin gun ownership for many other people. Glad to see someone who is safe and responsible with their guns.

10. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I have friends back home that didn't lock their car when they went out...They'd even leave the keys in the car sometimes.
    Someone attempted to carjack them the other night....at gunpoint.

Your stuff may not be the only thing that gets put a risk by not protecting yourself.

11. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    dizzle01333246

Member:
    Agreed. But if he had a gun in that situation wouldnt that have turned into a shootout and someone would have ended up dead (more than likely your friend who had the gun pulled on him)?

12. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    That's alright. If someone wants my stuff bad enough to come at me with a gun, they can have it. I guess they needed my stuff more than I and I'm not going to fight them over it. If they kill me over some possessions, so be it. I hope it was worth it for them in the future. When I have a family I will revamp my thinking but for now I'm too happy-go-lucky to worry about protection.

13. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I was not engaging the gun discussion. I was talking about personal protection...Like locking your doors and being aware of your surroundings.

I'm not a big fan of "what if's" but in this case - Were it me instead of my friend 1) The creep never would have gotten in the car - It would have been locked. 2) I would have seen him, as I walk around the car and check backseats/cargo areas before I get in and go, if he had somehow gotten into the car. 3) I would still have stopped the car and ran if I did end up with a gun pointed at me in this situation.
    If someone felt they had sufficent time and space to draw a gun and fire it at the intruder...I'm glad they would have the option to try.

14. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    I personally will not be caught anywhere without a gun. I'm a firm believer in the fact that you are more opt to encounter a deadly force encounter somewhere other than your home. Do home invasions happen? Yes they do, and it is unfortunate. That is the time when the "dog" or the "bowie knife" are going to be great. What I'm concerned about is when I'm in line at the local gas station to get my favorite energy drink and some a..hole comes in waving a gun around talking about "give me the money" to the teller. Or in line at the bank. Or in line at the grocery. A movie theater, my kids school play, your JOB...yadda yadda yadda. You are more likely to encounter this AWAY from your home. Your "dog", or your "bowie knife" can't do anything for you, or your family in this situation.

15. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    CanisLupus

CanisLupus Member since 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Stokesdale | NC
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Honda Civic Hatchback
    That's why you also learn and use safe weapons practices. A firearm will never go off on its own. :rolleyes: I'd rather be pumping lead into an intruder's center mass than risk my dog getting shot or stabbed if the intruder has a weapon. Always clear, check, and never point it at something you don't want to shoot. People who have firearm accidents are not practicing safe handling procedures. If you want to own a firearm, you should be prepared to learn how to safely operate it.

If you're worried about "kids changing your view," you should know that a stout and reputable gun safe, along with teaching children the seriousness and safe handling practices of firearms is your answer. I would think that kids would further reinforce someone's positive views of firearms. I don't have kids (and don't really plan on any) but I would rather engage an intruder or attacker (at home or anywhere else) from a good distance, rather than try with a knife, get it taken away from you, and used against you, your significant other, or your children. And I don't think you bring your dogs everywhere with you, do you?

Matt

16. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    dizzle01333246

Member:
    Agreed. Good points all around

17. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    The Dude never would have gotten that major swirlie had he owned a firearm. :rasta:

18. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Im not, my shotgun is at my parents on the other side of the country. I live in an apartment now and there are some sketchy dudes. 1 in particular I found out if there is a 9/11 call on him 2 officers are required to show up cuz the dude is nuts. Whenever my wife gets home and its dark she calls so I can walk with her. Things will change soon.

19. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    waheed

waheed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Waheed
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
    Banks power Exhaust, 4x4 LED mod, Duratracs, SNUGTOP, LED insideNout
    Guns are great, but no one needs an AR-15 at home to protect your family.......then it gets stolen by some nutcase:kona::crazy: and you know the rest in the news in USA......we got guns in Canada, you don't see a columbine shooting in Canada every month.....Assault rifles don't belong with civilians..:canada:

20. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    I'm the "kid" in my family and I'm the one that brought guns INto the house...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top