Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

In case of an emergency, what 5 things would you take with you?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #41
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone else keep 2 spare pairs of socks in their bag?

I prepare for natural disaster, but only minimally bc I will likely be called into work in the event of any real bug out situation
Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #42
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Does anyone else keep 2 spare pairs of socks in their bag?

I prepare for natural disaster, but only minimally bc I will likely be called into work in the event of any real bug out situation
4 full sets of under clothes but playing with the pup out in the swamp sort of demands that.

Cypher
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #43
Zombie Hunter.
evanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanwile is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Evan
evanwile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
I kind of know what to put in it..was looking more for suggestions on bags.
Ive got a 5.11 Tactical Rush 72. Love it. solid construction, lots of isolated pockets internally. Highly reccomend!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #44
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
My fav five would be.. My secret.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #45
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
My five...

1. Gun and Ammo - people plan to take AR's and Shottys, I plan to take my 1911 and Glock. The goal is to be inconspicuous and blend in if you have to. You can't do that with an AR strapped to you. During the Bug Out, there will still prob be law enforcement...look at Katrina...LEO's and Looters took all the guns they could find...much easier to hide a handgun from a search.
2. Truck with handheld GPS inside - a couple friends and I have GPS coordinates to meet at in the woods. It's only accessible via one hell of a hike or 4x4. Stragically located near water, with edible vegetation and secure dry shelter. We visit once a year as a group to check the area and clean it up a little.
3. Food and Water - have what you need on hand. I have enough cases of water to line the bottom of the bed of my truck. Bottles can be used to treat new water and easy to transport. Food includes lots of non perishables and chicken broth, spices and whatnot. We can hunt, but you might aswell make it taste good.
4. Spare Fuel - have what you need on hand. I live in a fairly occupied area. When hurricanes hit down here, it's a sobering reminder that no one prepares, and gas is the first luxury to go....I need to get to my #1 location without going to the gas station.
5. Hard Drives from Computer - they're hot swappable and take seconds to pull and case up...too much data to leave behind.

Life without rule of law isn't going to happen in modern America. Even in the case of natural disaster, or war, it will only be a matter of time before assistance is provided, everything returns to normal, and people calm down. You don't want to be noticed in a natural disaster. If you have to hike, leave the AR at home...if you can hide it in the truck, that's a different story. Just remember, if you're not already prepared when you find out about what's coming, it's too late.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #46
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
-B.O.B. (is actually sitting in my entrance right now, figured I'd get it ready due to the blizzard, no electricity means no heat which means I may of had to bug out of my apartment)
includes, 4L of water, canned food, 3 ways of starting a fire, toiletries, toilet paper, spare clothes inlcuding 2 pairs of socks, knife, flashlight, sleeping bag need to add : way to cook, a lightweight tent, small solar panel to charge things like phones, flashlight etc, my machete, and a tarp.

-First aid kit
-important documents
-cell phone&charger
-Tacoma

edit: my planned Bug out location is my moms house, its in the woods, and can be run self sufficiently if need be. And i plan on making an emergency kit that is bigger than a B.O.B. that can be thrown into the back of my truck that when deployed could make surviving more comfortable.

Also I plan on using all of my "survival equipment" to go camping with, so if ever the "big one" doesn't hit I thing didn't go to waste. Also a good way to rotate food and water.

Something I forgot to mention that is in my BOB, and if your like me, it's extremely important and that's COFFEE!!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #47
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
1. Gun and Ammo - people plan to take AR's and Shottys, I plan to take my 1911 and Glock. The goal is to be inconspicuous and blend in if you have to. You can't do that with an AR strapped to you. During the Bug Out, there will still prob be law enforcement...look at Katrina...LEO's and Looters took all the guns they could find...much easier to hide a handgun from a search.
Hence my m92 krink.

its 7.62x39, takes 30rd ak mags, and with its side folding stock, its only 26 inches long...

perfect PDW, perfect for close spaces, and perfect against any unfortunate dipshit who feels compelled to "check me"

Old 02-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #48
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
Can I leave my mother in law behind and take five additional items?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #49
Usmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Jovani
Usmcsantosj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
My five...

2. Truck with handheld GPS inside - a couple friends and I have GPS coordinates to meet at in the woods. It's only accessible via one hell of a hike or 4x4. Stragically located near water, with edible vegetation and secure dry shelter. We visit once a year as a group to check the area and clean it up a little.
3. Food and Water - have what you need on hand. I have enough cases of water to line the bottom of the bed of my truck. Bottles can be used to treat new water and easy to transport. Food includes lots of non perishables and chicken broth, spices and whatnot. We can hunt, but you might aswell make it taste good.
4. Spare Fuel - have what you need on hand. I live in a fairly occupied area. When hurricanes hit down here, it's a sobering reminder that no one prepares, and gas is the first luxury to go....I need to get to my #1 location without going to the gas station.
5. Hard Drives from Computer - they're hot swappable and take seconds to pull and case up...too much data to leave behind.

Life without rule of law isn't going to happen in modern America. Even in the case of natural disaster, or war, it will only be a matter of time before assistance is provided, everything returns to normal, and people calm down. You don't want to be noticed in a natural disaster. If you have to hike, leave the AR at home...if you can hide it in the truck, that's a different story. Just remember, if you're not already prepared when you find out about what's coming, it's too late.
I really like the highlighted area! I should get with my friends and find somewhere like this.

EDIT: Worthy, we are having a Central Florida Meet. You should check it out!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/flo...ml#post6416454

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Can I leave my mother in law behind and take five additional items?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #50
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
I have put this up before in another thread but check your states emergency management system, you might be rather surprised to learn as they did here on Delmarva in an emergency they will take cell phones off line. When the baby earth quake hit here 2 years ago now, cell phones were dead no calls out or in and no texts. I am not a cell phone person so I do not know if they can still do gps with out atleast getting their position from cell tower triangulation first. Suggest stand alone gps and a regular compass with maps if you have a rally point set with others.

Cypher
Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #51
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
you might be rather surprised to learn as they did here on Delmarva in an emergency they will take cell phones off line. When the baby earth quake hit here 2 years ago now, cell phones were dead no calls out or in and no texts.
Ham radio
Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #52
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
regular compass with maps

Cypher
These will be among the first things I will put in my SHTF bag when I make one, electronics fail and need power.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #53
Usmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to beholdUsmcsantosj is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
These will be among the first things I will put in my SHTF bag when I make one, electronics fail and need power.

x2
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
-hand crank shortwave radio/light
-ceramic water filter
-hand crank UV water purifier
-magnesium/firesteel combo
-as much wool clothing can carry
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #55
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Gun, bullets, wet wipes, condoms, food.

In all reality, it would be gun, bullets, my radio and extra battery, a water purifier type water bottle, and a map book of the US.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #56
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering why anyone would bring a cellphone?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #57
futuretacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shedfuturetacoowner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: First Responder, Primary Care Paramedic, Advanced EMT
Name: Andrew
futuretacoowner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have put this up before in another thread but check your states emergency management system, you might be rather surprised to learn as they did here on Delmarva in an emergency they will take cell phones off line. When the baby earth quake hit here 2 years ago now, cell phones were dead no calls out or in and no texts. I am not a cell phone person so I do not know if they can still do gps with out atleast getting their position from cell tower triangulation first. Suggest stand alone gps and a regular compass with maps if you have a rally point set with others.

Cypher
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
I was wondering why anyone would bring a cellphone?
I know for me personally my phone isn't so much for immediate use, but more for when i get where I am going, or after that emergency has past to get in contact with people, and so people can contact me. Just because its SHTF in one location doesnt mean it is everywherere. something so little could be of such great help if the conditions were there to use it.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #58
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I realize that a cell phone/radio won't work on a ELE type of STHF situation, but for localized issues, cell phone's and radios are pretty high on the list of stuff to have. Even during an ELE type scenario such as The Book of Eli, there were still radio's and such. Line of sight is always good.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #59

Marines:
Picked up one of these last night for my BOB and Truck. What do you guys think?

http://www.itstactical.com/store/mpi...l-lightweight/
Old 02-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #60
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcsantosj View Post
Picked up one of these last night for my BOB and Truck. What do you guys think?

http://www.itstactical.com/store/mpi...l-lightweight/
Explain the point to this?

The only time i've seen these is to mark a area for airborne to touchdown on.