1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tax Time - CPA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mws4ua, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Feb 7, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua [OP] I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    First of all, thanks to tcBob for letting me post this ad.

As I stated in this post, I am a CPA. I work for a power company, but this time of year I do a little business on the side doing people’s taxes. I’m making this post to see if anybody here would be interested in my services.

If you are interested after reading a few more details below, please send me a PM with an email address or phone number. I will provide more information (including my email address and more detailed cost information) through external email or over the phone.

Please also post something in this thread so that I don’t have to be ‘that guy’ bumping his own thread over and over! I'll try to provide helpful info each time I bump, though, so maybe it won't be too annoying.

Pricing
    I don’t know exactly how much H&R Block or other large tax-preparation firms charge, but I cost about half according to a few of my clients who have switched to me from those firms. (I can’t guarantee I charge half what those firms do, I’m just giving you an idea of what I’ve heard.)

I charge by the form, not by the time it takes me to complete your taxes. If your taxes are really simple and I only have to fill out a Federal 1040EZ, you’re looking at about $20. If you are required to file state taxes, too, you can add about $20 to that for the state form. The more complicated your taxes, the more forms I have to use/file, the more it costs.
    For customers who do not reside in AL or CA:
    I have to purchase my software every year. One of the drawbacks is that each state is charged separately. I have already downloaded the AL and CA programs for other customers, but it will cost me $20 for any additional states I require. If you live outside of AL or CA, I will split the cost of the software purchase and add $10 to your bill. (However, if I get 3 people from a single state, I will only add $3.33 to each person’s bill… if I get 5 people from one state, it’ll be $2 to each bill, etc… seem fair?)
    By way of example, I consider my own tax return of average complexity and I would have charged $115 if it had been done for somebody else. Also, the most anybody paid me last year was $140. (Again, this is just an example, not a price ceiling.)

I do offer e-file. It costs me approximately $4 to e-file a state return, and $8 to e-file a federal return. This cost is passed on at no mark-up. (BTW, I don’t e-file my own taxes because mailing them in has provided my return almost as fast, for much less cost.)

Basically, paying anybody (myself included) is going to cost more than doing your own taxes, but I believe that I am a relatively inexpensive alternative if you’re looking for outside help.

Information Security
    The software I use is installed on my home computer. At no point will anybody’s personal information be entered into an online program of any kind (unless e-file is requested). Your information will be password protected on the computer.

I will only be requesting copies of information, not originals. (You should keep all of your originals for at least 3 years.) For your protection, any hard copies received will be stored in a locked file cabinet, or scanned to my password-protected computer then shredded. If you choose to scan/email your information, the files will be kept on the password-protected computer.

Timing
    I will work to prepare your return quickly after I receive all of the relevant information. I will not be the reason that anybody is late to file. In order to ensure this, I will not be accepting any new clients after March 31, and I reserve the right to turn down requests if I become overloaded.

Also, I am not allowed to use my work computer to further a personal business. (People have been fired for doing so in the past.) As such, I will only be checking tax-related PMs and emails after work and on weekends. I will respond to all messages and post answers to any questions asked in this thread, but don’t be surprised if you don’t hear back from me until after 5:00 Central most days.

2. Feb 7, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    PM'd ya with some questions.

3. Feb 7, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
  4. Feb 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Bump w/ some helpful info...

Not sure where to send your Federal tax return? Check out this map at IRS.gov

5. Feb 8, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    JC870

JC870 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport Longbed
    Blitz Safe aux. audio input
    subscribe

6. Feb 16, 2009 at 5:06 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Useful Info Bump:

As I've said before, I filed my taxes already. I sent the returns off the first weekend of February. I told a CPA buddy of mine, and his response was, "I always wait a little while to make sure all of the forms came." I responded that I'd already received forms from everybody I was expecting, so I wasn't worried.

Well this week I recieved a Schedule K-1 that had $2.67 of taxable interest income on it. Now I must decide if I should re-file my taxes for $2.67!!! With rounding, it might reduce my Federal refund by $1 and shouldn't change my state refund at all.

I'm not going to post my decision on the internet.

Moral of the story... It's probably worth waiting a few weeks, just in case.

7. Feb 16, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

I prefer to wait too. I hate those surprise forms.

8. Feb 16, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.

HEHEHE I can see the story now... member of TW arrested for tax evasion... Original amount $1,.....

Knowing you are a CPA, I can't IMAGINE you cheating the system - although how many people CLAIM their CPA is the one who cheated (or tried to cheat) on their taxes.

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

9. Feb 16, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    I've done that.....got what I thought was everything snd then get some little interest form on something I forgot about.

I have to pay this year so I wait til the end. My birthday is April 15th so I get to write a check to the govt for my bday..:(

10. Feb 24, 2009 at 4:50 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Useful Info Bump...

Where's your Federal refund? Find out here. All you need to know is your SSN, your filing status (single, married joint, etc.) and the amount of your refund.

Many states have a similar service, so check your state's department of revenue website. If you happen to live in AL, look here.

My Federal refund will be deposited "by March 10." I'm REALLY looking forward to that $6.00!

11. Mar 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Useful Info Bump...

I was doing somebody's taxes last night and they didn't realize that they could deduct the taxes they paid on their home and their cars. If you itemize, remember to deduct your real estate taxes (probably paid by your bank through escrow) and the ad valorem tax you paid on your car (noted on your registration in your glovebox).

Products Discussed in

To Top