1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

University of Phoenix?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by monsterkx2fiddy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Actually, normal business programs aren't abet accredited so an MBA from U of P would probably be worth something. Applied sciences and computer degrees are the only abet accredited programs. Whatever you study, just make sure it's accredited in some nationally recognized program if you want a decent paycheck every week.

2. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Yes, post up the links to the goods and us engineers can decipher it for you. I've spent wayyyyy too much time analyzing my ME and IE degree audits so I know the ins and outs of the degrees by now.

3. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birthplace of Davy Crockett
    I am horrible with classes btw. I think it is harder for me to register for classes then actually taking the classes.

So here are the classes I am almost done with. Just the freshman and sophmore.
    http://www.tntransferpathway.org/programs/business-administration-0
    Also taking physics.

Here is what is required for engineering (codes like etee are new will try to find a key to them)
    http://www.etsu.edu/articulation/agreements/Walters/10-11/Engineering%20Technology%20BS%20Biomedical%20Engineering%20Tech%20Concentration.pdf

4. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Thank you guys for your help

Oooo now I really want to find that previous paper I had. This is not the same lol

Maybe I will just stick with business. I need to make my mind up. I have been at school for 2.5 years because of being undecisive and still don't have any paper to show it.

Also you guys have convinced me not to go to U of P.

5. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
  6. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Never said it was ABET. Different accreditation orgs for business programs.;)

7. Feb 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    What is the difference? Maybe I need to switch schools then.

Maybe I need to just stick with business. I want the dollars and I want the math and thinking. Mechanical engineering seems like something I could do though. Im not sure. I feel so stupid not knowing what I am doing.

8. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I'm no program advisor so I couldn't tell you any more about the differences than that article I posted. The best thing you could do is email an advisor at your local university that offers a true mechanical engineering program, and make an appointment to sit down and talk about the program and if your classes transfer. It's looks like entry level engineering technology grads make $46k, whereas mechanicals make $62k. If you want a business career, look into Information Systems Management. It's growing like wildfire and pay can be decent depending on what company you are at.

9. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    I'm an engineering major also and from how I understood engineering technology is that it is less math/physics and less theoretical. So engineering technology is more hands on where engineering is more calculations, at least that is how I understand it.

10. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    It will definitely help figuring out exactly what you want to do lol. But once you figure that out, find a school that will be best for that program.

11. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    Johnsredline

Johnsredline Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Las Vegas
    Barcelona Red- Method Double Standards, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N intake, black headlights and raptor style grille, ICON stage 4 suspension, allpro sliders
    Im in university of phoenix now, and have also done a semester at an actual university (UNLV). I would recommend trying to go to a university vs. doing university of phoenix.

The ONLY reason I switched is I absolutley do not have the time to go to a university, while university of phoenix fits my schedule. ( I work 18hr days 4 months a year) then 12 hr days the rest. On top of that having a kid etc... Going to a university was out of the question.

As far as costs, It's pretty pricey, mine ended up being about 9500 a year. so about 20k for an associates. (that is without any grants etc.)

Think on it awhile, but if you can manage to go to a university I would go that route.

12. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Forgot to look at link (too many tabs open). I think I would like engineering more, due to the fact its based on designing.

Here is what I told my advisor. I told him I would maybe like to be a manager of engineers.
    Now he told me to get a mba degree with a focus on engineering. But there is no such thing. Then after research I found that I could go to school for mechanical engineering then get a mba degree which would give me a chance of managment as well as know what I am managing.

Also I just started a new thread about inventing. Maybe you guys might be able to help me?
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/263544-need-help-invention.html#post6447808

13. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Yep, to be an engineer manager you most likely need to do an engineering bachelors, then get a management MBA. You can't get a business bachelors then an engineering MBA, but you can get a business bachelors and an engineering sales minor that isn't worth anything.

Also, I'm studying industrial engineering which is a mix of engineering and business management. 3 different advisors at Iowa State told me that Industrial Engineers are better suited for engineering management positions, so I kind of believe them. Also, the company I intern for has Industrial Engineers for every management position, and the mechanicals work under them. It's something to research I suppose. I'm not saying it's way better than mechanical but for you it might be.

14. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Like I said I have no idea with anything on the engineering side but I know at my company (public utility) anyone with engineering and a business background is pretty much golden and the sky is the limit.

15. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Exactly what I was told and that is my direction. A guy I work with is 31 years old making $250k plus bonuses as a quality inspection department manager. He has an IE bachelors and knew NOTHING about manufacturing when he started.

16. Feb 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
  17. Feb 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Well I think I will not go to U of P. I had already thought of plenty of reasons not too. But you guys help reinforce them. Such as money, when a business looks at a degree from a for profit, etc.

I know that the school I am almost positive I am going to is accredited (ETSU).

18. Feb 16, 2013 at 5:09 AM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    After looking up my classes again. I would rather not go back to school for another 1.5 years just to get an associates. Maybe in the future but I feel like I cant be sitting in jr college all my life. I am not Van Wilder. Information systems management is just advising on updating computer programs correct?
    Btw I appreciate your help. You have been helpful in both of my threads.

Makes sense. To be an engineer you would have to be more theoretical.
    It is hard for me. I feel like one thing then I feel like another. One thing I can tell you is I do like the managment field. I also like dealing with mechanics. I like to assemble the puzzle.

Ahh okay. This was better then anything. Somoeone actually going to U of P.
    I would say I need to go to a different university then. Because, I basically have it made with the folks. Im young and no major responsibilities.
    But I could definetly see how U of P would be beneficial to you. I also think it is awesome to have so many resposibilities but still trieing to move up in the world.

I understand the first part completely. My school is pretty good in the technical field. Small classes and #3 in (cant think of the name) basically we have the most technology.

Mschool offers a bunch of Industrial Engineering pathways.
    Underneath "Technical Certificate" lists what is offered.
    http://catalog.ws.edu/content.php?catoid=4&navoid=132

Say What?!?!?! Hey maybe if I make this much money I can build my invention.
    What program of study did he choose exaclty?

See this is what I want. I want the respect, money, and to enjoy my work enviroment.

19. Feb 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Here's what my boss that makes $250K studied (and same program I'm in).
    http://www.imse.iastate.edu/undergraduate-program/degrees-and-programs/bs-degree/

It's a 4 year program and those business classes you took probably would transfer into this program. Just to be clear- you can't get any true engineering degree in less than 4 years. There are Associates of Engineering degrees that basically do nothing for you as a future engineer. With anything that's an Engineering Technology Associates degree, as far as I can tell don't expect to make over $45K starting out. As an Industrial Engineer graduate with a Bachelors, I already know I will start north of $60K at the company I'm currently interning at.

This list shows some of the jobs that I could do.
    http://www.imse.iastate.edu/undergraduate-program/careers-in-imse/

20. Feb 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    monsterkx2fiddy

Member:
    Yeah the technical degree thing. I just saw the name for it. I never clicked on it and realized it was one of those short coarse piece of paper things I was assuming it was a 2 year course with ability to go to bachelors.

Products Discussed in

To Top