Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

University of Phoenix?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Question University of Phoenix?

So I'm almost done with my associates in business. But the way i have taken my courses I'm going to finish mechanical engineering in one semester.

I have been getting calls from many universities lately. University of Phoenix is semili close to home. Has anyone been there? I forgot to ask about tuition but I did my homework and seems like they have worked on that to an extent.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Might as well just print your own degree IMO. I'd never go to a school that has shareholders to answer to.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
It probably can work, but nothing compares to a degree from a credited 4 year University.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a mechanical engineering degree in 1 semester after a business associates? Not possible. Seriously.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
You can get a mechanical engineering degree in 1 semester after a business associates? Not possible. Seriously.
I read it thinking the same thing.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
I read it thinking the same thing.
I was in mechanical engineering until I switched to industrial engineering, but either way a Bachelors of Engineering is 128 credits. An associates degree is usually about 60 credits. The rest of the classes are technical classes specific to the engineering major so you have to attend a 4-year school for 2 years to get these.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Mpgillespie is on a distinguished road
Army: Blackhawk Helicopter Mechanic
Mpgillespie's Tacoma Gallery
It's crazy expensive, local college would serve you better, good luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
I was in mechanical engineering until I switched to industrial engineering, but either way a Bachelors of Engineering is 128 credits. An associates degree is usually about 60 credits. The rest of the classes are technical classes specific to the engineering major so you have to attend a 4-year school to get these.
I'm a junior in Mechanical Engineering
Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
I'm a junior in Mechanical Engineering
I was... Industrial/manufacturing fits my desires better. Now my days aren't just calculus on top of calculus on top of calculus.

On a side note I don't even see where you can get a mechanical engineering degree from U of P.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #11

Oh pshhh its not all calculus....its differential equations. I think the MET/IE's have more fun, probably should have went that route but oh well
Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is more fun because it's a lot of business and management thinking, instead of straight problem solving. We learn how to manage production, quality, documentation, design efficiency, things like that. I still like the mechanical side so I'm doing some mechanical tech electives to broaden my knowledge. I already have a job in a manufacturing plant for a john deere supplier after college, even though I have 3 semesters left after this one.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay. I was thinking that employers would frown on a school like that. Which is why earlier I told them I had already found a school. But I was thinking if the grant is big enough maybe it would be cheap.

Well I'm not sure about my engineering? At my school I have taken just about everything for business. All I need is physics and a
Calculus. Then for engineering all I will need is calculus 2 and 2 guided electives? I have both transfer sheets from my school to university.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #14

I could be wrong I will have to check them again tomorrow. Headache from hell
Old 02-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkx2fiddy View Post
Okay. I was thinking that employers would frown on a school like that. Which is why earlier I told them I had already found a school. But I was thinking if the grant is big enough maybe it would be cheap.

Well I'm not sure about my engineering? At my school I have taken just about everything for business. All I need is physics and a
Calculus. Then for engineering all I will need is calculus 2 and 2 guided electives? I have both transfer sheets from my school to university.
You are going to need more than calculus and physics lol
Mechanical Engineers need mechanics of materials(1-3), thermo/heat transfer(1-3), and system analysis classes to name a few
Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Just for reference below is the ME degree 4 year plan at Iowa State University. I would compare it to whatever program you might be going into because most business classes wouldn't even transfer here. This program is also abet accredited so it's recognized world-wide, like most Universities. You might be looking at a "Pre-engineering" program, which is really just the first 2 years of an engineering program. I don't know any community or non-univerity schools certified to teach an engineering program.

http://www.me.iastate.edu/wp-content...2012-20131.pdf
Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #17

Good link, very similar to the flowchart I'm following
Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
As a recruiter/engineer for a large company, don't do it. If the school isn't ABET accredited or similar we'll through out your resume immediately. A local state university that has its accreditation will get you much further. Any thing less will only get you a technician or entry level analyst, which is fine but don't expect anything else. If your going into engineering you have a long way to go. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #19
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
And I can't speak for engineering stuff but I know that they claim their MBA is accredited. Only problem is it doesn't have the accreditation that real schools have so its pretty much a useless piece of paper.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #20

Just for associates?

Ill get in the comp here in a few once this food and ibuprofen kick in. Then ill show you guys what my school offers. And what my university offers