1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Found this guy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fern, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Feb 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, they are very commonly known for skin and respitory issues.

I also agree with John's previous statement about avoiding the SPCA with him. If you can't keep him, contact a rescue organization that is dedicated to his breed. You will likely find people who are passionate about keeping the breed and it's reputation going and will put the dog with people with similar interests rather than just an open adoption. This means he'd get adopted by someone who is aware of the medical costs and any other breed-specific concerns.

2. Feb 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    Its good to see that there is still good people out there.

If the owners haven't come looking for him or put up anything about their dog missing it doesn't seem like they care much.

You can check on craigslist in the pet adds to see if anyone put one up for him. I have seen them before on there.

3. Feb 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    Fern

Fern [OP] TEXAS IS HOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    San Antonio,Tx
    Vehicle:
    '12 SUPERWHITE SPORT 4x4
    285/70R17 COOPER STT PRO | MOTO METAL 957 | 3" 885 COIL LIFT W/ AAL | MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER | AVID OFFROAD LIGHTBAR W/ 22" LED BAR
    I've been keeping my eyes out at the stop signs and bulletin board at the duck pond park. No signs posted that I've seen for him missing. I searched Craigslist last night and nothing either. My wife called the pound to see if anyone reported it missing, nope.

4. Feb 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    That is an expensive dog. I cannot imagine somebody not looking for him.

5. Feb 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    I had a similar situation. I would contact animal control in your area to make a formal report. They will take the report that way if the owners come looking for the dog you have a record of at least reporting that you found the dog. Animal control will let you keep the dog, at least they would have in my case. (Madison WI)
    In our case we found the owners and the dog was well cared for, the dog just decided to take a long walk at 10pm when it was 10 degrees out.

6. Feb 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    I hear you. You'd only think if you took care of someone's dog and spent money that the owners would offer to pay; I know I would.

7. Feb 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    Fern

Fern [OP] TEXAS IS HOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    San Antonio,Tx
    Vehicle:
    '12 SUPERWHITE SPORT 4x4
    285/70R17 COOPER STT PRO | MOTO METAL 957 | 3" 885 COIL LIFT W/ AAL | MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER | AVID OFFROAD LIGHTBAR W/ 22" LED BAR
    Which is why I was surprised he didn't at least have a microchip in him either.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

8. Feb 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    If you decide not to keep him, look up the nearest bulldog rescue organization and give him to them. Don't just give him to the local animal shelter or something like that, and I don't even know if you should give him back to the owners. They obviously didn't take care of him when they had him, and bulldogs are one of the least healthy, hard to take care of breeds there is.

Something like this place would be a good temp home for him if you can't keep him:
    http://sanantoniobulldogrescue.blogspot.com/

9. Feb 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    My daughter has a bully and they are indeed a unique breed and do require more care and vet visits than other breeds I have been around. He also stinks from time to time and she has to clean his rolls with baby wipes. He will soon be living with us as my daughter has to move back in till she finishes school. He also only drinks bottled water as tap water makes him sick..

10. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    TacOffRoad11

TacOffRoad11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Georgetown, KY
    Vehicle:
    '18 F150 XLT
    Im in agreement with others. If you can keep him financially lucky you! Bulldogs are great but do require a lot of "upkeep". Congrats man!

11. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    RGarb

RGarb New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 DC
    Kudos to you for taking him in.

Just note, people are known to take dogs for free to use as bait dogs for dog fighting.

Especially if "given away" for free on craigslist.

I would avoid the previous owner at all cost. Must be a total douche bag to not post any signs for a missing pure breed puppy.

Have a beer and enjoy the pup!

Cheers

12. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    aidenhardcore

aidenhardcore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    None yet but soon all black.
    You are a great man for doing that. I love Dogs too as would do the same thing as you if I saw one. I would deff keep him for sure. He looks so cute and should be a great dog once you fix him and fix his skin. I wouldnt give him away cause you don't know what the next person will do to him. He needs a loving home. Give it a few days for the 2 dogs to get use to one another. I think after awhile they will be fine

13. Feb 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Kudos to you for taking care of him.

I found a dog who was locked in a tennis court (it was chain locked closed) and was running around frantically. I was able to get her out. When searching for her tag I noticed her metal choke chain had dug into her neck as if it was put on as a puppy and she grew so big it was cutting her skin.

I cut it off, checked her for a chip. There was none. I posted flyers all around and notified the pound. No response. I told the mail lady. Surely she would know if someone owned this Samoyed, right? Nobody.

So after a few weeks I had her trained (she was not trained whatsoever), spayed, chipped and given shots and deworming like you did.

After I had her for three months this guy comes knocking on my door with a picture in hand. The mail lady told him I had her.

I didnt' want to let him take her, and she ran to the back of the house when he called her. But legally she was his. I had to let her go. He literally DRAGGED her off while she was fighting against it, trying to come back to me. It was a real good hard cry I had after he left watching her whine like that....

I went by his house a week later to see if I can visit her and I was told he moved up North and left the dog in the yard. I called her by the name I gave her and she was crying and ramming the fence. I wanted sooo bad to have her back. But she wasn't legally mine. The guy at the house said that if he doesn't come get this dog, he was taking her to the pound. I told him I would take her back but he said he's going to have to ask the owner.

He never called me and when I went back two weeks later, she was gone. The girl in the house said the guy never came and got her and she doesn't know where the dog went.

It's up to you if you want to return this pup. I certainly have my regrets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In regards to expense/health, there's pet insurance. I hear it really pays off. Especially for dogs that need special attention.

Hopefully your dog and this one will get along. Your dog is trying to establish pecking order - it's HIS house and this new kid on the block has to know that he is king. Once he snaps at the new dog a few times then it will be established.

I have three rescue dogs and four rescue cats. Everyone gets along. They all know their place in the pecking order. :)

14. Feb 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    Good for you for taking him in, I'm trying to get a rescue bulldog at this time but they're hard to come by up here. I guess thats a good thing:)

15. Feb 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    hutch96r

hutch96r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 4X4
    275 70 17 BFG TA KO ProComp shocks 2.75
    Def hold on to him. I rescued my mastiff and would not have it any other way. If you can't hold on to him let me know. I have a friend of the family that deals with rescues both large breed and special breeds on a regular basis. Let me know if you want the help! Pet ins is the way to go, helps me out my my big girl.

16. Feb 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    i have a 4 year old male bull dog. he just recently started to develop skin problems, they have a lot of allergies. so he is now on a duck and rice diet. good thing for me my sister is my vet so my bills are much lower then for most people.
    like others have said they need to be cleaned regularly, also you may have to play with what foods work best for him. the irritation on his skin is mostly likely a yeast infection and most of the time this can be controlled by what food he gets.
    my boy is the most loyal and the smartest dog i have ever had. he is also a lazy mutt LOL he wants nothing more then to sit on my lap, but that is like putting a 50 pound bowling ball on your lap.
    good luck and props for taking him in. they are great dogs!

17. Feb 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    CaliAsh

CaliAsh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    First off, I would like to commend you on taking the time (and money) to take care of the dog you found. There are way too many animals out there that are neglected and it is always nice to see someone who cares.

I would like to add a story in contrast to Babytruck's though. My parent's dog vanished one day. They had been out working in their front yard and the dog was with them. At some point they noticed he was not around and went around looking looking for him, talking to neighbors, etc. After a month had passed without finding the dog, they resigned to the fact that he was gone and my father was beside himself.

Two months later they get a call from someone that lives in a town about 2 hours away asking if my parents had a dog named Trixie. The caller thought it was their neighbor's dog, but it had been wandering around their neighborhood lately so they were concerned. When they picked it up, they noticed it had tags from another city (my parent's address) and took the time to look it up and call. The dog they described matched the description of my parent's dog so they drove it up and it was my parent's dog.

After much discussion with various neighbors (some that came forward after my parents got the dog back), we found out what happened for the most part. Out of town relatives were visiting a neighbor of my parents. Their daughter saw my parents dog and and liked it, so they decided to take it home (yes, stole it). For whatever reason, they abandoned the dog in their home town and the cool neighbor took the time to rescue the dog and call my parents.

This all happened about 14 years ago. My parent's dog had to be put down earlier this year. He was 18 years old.

Sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted to point out that doing the right thing can work out sometimes. Good luck with the puppy and I hope the situation works out for the best.

18. Sep 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Fern

Fern [OP] TEXAS IS HOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    San Antonio,Tx
    Vehicle:
    '12 SUPERWHITE SPORT 4x4
    UPDATE: Yes, we did keep him and initially named him DOZER, short for bulldozer cause he just walked / ran through anything that was in his way. He has been some work needing weekly attention and recently took him to the vet again. He's doing good and actually has gained 10 Lbs since I found him. We have him on meds with much improvement showing so the wife is really happy with the minimal shedding / smell compared to before. He does get into it with my lab on a daily basis and gets pinned down Everytime but he never learns that will never win against the lab. They don't bite each other, just growl, bark jump on each other before the bulldog gets pinned down. Besides that, he's a good dog, just stubborn.

The owner did find us. We got back from Oklahoma and he saw us unloading the dogs from the back of the Tacoma. Turns out some plumbers left the gate unlocked at his house and the dog got out that way. Well sadly, they were keeping the dog outside cause his daughter has cancer and was going through treatment. They were told they needed to get rid of pets or move outta the house, then understandably could not afford to keep up with the bulldog's medical needs. They were trying to get rid of him but couldn't find anyone to take him in. Turns out his name is TANK and he's 4 yrs old. I told them I put up signs trying to find the owners and called a few places to see if anyone was looking for a missing bulldog. I think technically he was now mine since I tried and no one came forward but he told me he's now yours and keep him as long as you continue to take care of him. Well I still have him and for the most part enjoying his company. He drives my wife a little nuts though. LOL
    This is him now:

null_zpsb3687092_beda4008a14762075eb9806966bc1e3dca44d0f3.jpg

null_zps6baacfc2_32d2bc8c802c741adbd835755c86e5a35a7a0b12.jpg

19. Sep 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    Tj0hn

Tj0hn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    Keep him. English Bulldogs are amazing dogs and it sounds like this one is mild tempered already.

Work on getting him and your lab to get along and he'll make a great companion. Vet bills for these can get expensive though.

20. Sep 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Good for you, glad it worked out for everyone! Enjoy your new buddy :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top