LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Life Advice

Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Manitouman88 has a spectacular aura aboutManitouman88 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Shane
Manitouman88's Tacoma Gallery
Life Advice

Whats up guys,
im looking for a little advice today. So here's the deal, I just got back from a ski trip with my college buddies in Colorado. We drank/ skied all over the whole state, and it was f**kin awesome. It seemed like a whole different lifestyle than what I'm used to/sick of here in New England.
I'm a 24yo single dude, working and living in CT. I grew up in Maine, and love hunting/fishing/trucks/skiing, all that shit. I went to school in the adirondacks, doing much of the same, while getting my engineering degree. I got a job right out of college, in fairfield CT and took it. My job is really awesome, I work with CNC machines make all kinds of stuff out of expensive metals, but here's the kicker: CT sucks balls....or at least where I am. The people are snobs and its generally a suburban hell.
When I'm at work, life's great, but when I leave I can't enjoy any of the things I really love, i.e the outdoors.
Over the past week, I've really been contemplating a change. I would love to be out west, but I'm not sure if its worth the risk of leaving a great job, especially if i don't have one lined up (I don't need the student loan companies going Tony Soprano on my ass for their money back!).
So do I wait it out for a few years, untill i have more professional experience, or throw caution to the wind and say fuck it? Anyone else make a similar decision and how'd it play out? Specifically any engineers? All advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Shane
Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Finishing school is the most important aspect right now, after you get your degree do what you love.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't move unless I had a job out there. Too much to risk in this job market. Just start firing off resumes to anything you're interested in. That's my plan for getting out of Iowa after college. Engineers are needed everywhere. I would get out sooner, rather than later. If you find a girl that will tie you to CT, you're fucked.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Yersinia pestis
Glueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGlueman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Glueman's Tacoma Gallery
Shane, Go West. Life is too short to not love every F'ing day. You are a young kid (I'm 47) and have a lot of time to live yet. Follow your instincts and things will work out. Obviously you are a smart kid. You'll be fine in the end. I moved my family 1500 miles to a relatively unknown job out West and it has made all the difference. Mountains, camping, off road trails that go on forever... I love it.

Follow your heart because if you don't you'll always wonder "what if" for the rest of your life. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
kws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kws129's Tacoma Gallery
Do it while you are young!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Finish your degree first. Then go. I'm guessing you have family and/or friends in CT..if it doesn't work out, you can always come back to them.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Finishing school is the most important aspect right now, after you get your degree do what you love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Finish your degree first. Then go. I'm guessing you have family and/or friends in CT..if it doesn't work out, you can always come back to them.
I read it as he's already done with school and working full time.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
He already has his degree people, unless I'm missing something.

I'd check out what jobs are available wherever you want to go. I say go for it. But I'd be hesitant to just straight up quit and go. See if you try and line up some kind of job.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
NOW is absolutely the time to do it

Save for a few more months, do some research/look for jobs etc...then pick a spot and go

If you don't...in a few years you'll be 30 and 6 years into your career and possibly married or with kids...all of which will make picking up and going that much more difficult

I had an opportunity to move to Florida a few years ago...didnt jump on it...now I'll likely never live anywhere else but the town I grew up in and love/hate so very much
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Save $$, throw out some resumes to land a job than move west!!
As others have said, life is too short!!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Manitouman88 has a spectacular aura aboutManitouman88 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Shane
Manitouman88's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated! And yes, I do already have my degree, and I've been working for this company a year and a half. I'd agree quitting and leaving is the wrong way to do it. But I'm worried I don't have enough job experience to get an equally interesting job in a great place. It seems like most companies want 2-5 years. I also don't have any family in CT, all my family lives in ME. Maine is a cool place, but there are virtually no jobs in the technical fields. Hence my CT move, plus the offer of decent pay....but I'm starting to think money really isn't related to happiness.....
Old 02-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
RAT Products

isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitouman88 View Post
but I'm starting to think money really isn't related to happiness.....
Holy shi we just talked about this in philosophy class today. It's proven that it doesn't.

Even if you don't quite have the experience they desire, apply. Can't hurt any and networking is your ultimate goal. If you send out 25 resumes and cover letters, it's not too many.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitouman88 View Post
....but I'm starting to think money really isn't related to happiness.....
wise words from a young man.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
start applying for jobs out west buddy, remember its alot easier to pick up and GTFO without kids, a wife, and a mortgage. my advice, from one young dude to another, is do what makes you happy now so you can enjoy it later.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Matrix
12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed12Tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Space Command
Name: Steve
12Tac's Tacoma Gallery
IMO...go do stuff while you're young. You have you degree....live!

12Tac
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Money most certainly isnt going to make you happy

It may make life easier...but nothing replaces being happy at the end of the day and when you wake up in the morning

Once upon a time I had a job making $70K a year...by this point if I was still with them i'd be well into the 6 figure mark...I chose to tell them where they could shove their job and now make roughly half of what I was

I'm happy when I wake up and when I go to bed
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a young fella but from what I've seen:
Disciplined now = relax later
Relax now = work forever.

Don't make a rash decision on a whim. Play it smart, keep the solid job, keep paying for school and wait for the opportunity to arise that is a smart choice.

You can always wait a bit and move at a later date.
You cannot take back your choice of moving now if it ends up being a poor one.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Money most certainly isnt going to make you happy

It may make life easier...but nothing replaces being happy at the end of the day and when you wake up in the morning

Once upon a time I had a job making $70K a year...by this point if I was still with them i'd be well into the 6 figure mark...I chose to tell them where they could shove their job and now make roughly half of what I was

I'm happy when I wake up and when I go to bed
yeah.. i cant afford to spell rich...
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
There's some good advice here. I can see why you are interested in something new. I would say look into possible jobs out here, in a State that peaks your interest. There's a lot of really interesting places to live out here (Western States). Colorado is awesome, have you ever been to Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Phoenix?

If something/somewhere peaks your interest, check it out. Send out resumes, maybe contact a national head-hunting type company and see if they can point you in the direction of a job. As it's been said, engineers are needed everywhere.

Even if you don't end up moving anywhere, you'll be happy you at least looked.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely try and line up a job..there's something you could never do before the Internet,at least not so easy.

Even though I know you moved from Maine, at least you could go back home if it didn't work out. You may not have that option later.

I could have moved to Florida when i was 26. I don't regret not doing it so much, I would have moved with my girlfriend and her mother who just have no initiative or ambition..but someday I will move out of New England. Right now my parents and father in law are still here and older so I won't leave them behind..