1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Really pissed off. Landlord hasn't given deposit back after 4 months and lives out of

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DCGirl, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    DCGirl

DCGirl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    The landlord lives out of state and the building I was renting 4 months ago has been sold. Small claims court says I can't do small claims based on this information. But apparently I can do a civil case, possibly....which involves lawyers and spending money...

This makes me so angry its unbelievable. This guy doesn't even respond to emails. I previously asked for a physical address and he wouldn't give one and this was while I was still renting. I have the address I got when I first moved in, to send rent payments of course. Then he switched to electronic deposit. What's worse is this guy is a military reservist.

Not sure if I can ask tax assessor's office for information on any other possible building he might have in California? So that I can hopefully do small claims.

We left the apartment in good condition. 3 months after leaving he inspected. The only thing we left "bad" was a hole in the wall we patched up but didn't paint. It was about 2" diameter. He claimed it smelled like cat pee? The place has hardwood floors. I understand cats can pee on walls but we never noticed any. Also asked guests if it ever smelled. He previously said we needed to go back and clean, this was 3 months after vacating!!!! and that if we didn't we would be charged and also be charged for removal of things like a verizon box attached to the wall, I believe it's some sort of back up battery/signal carrier. He also tried to blame us for the front lawn appearing dry...keep in mind this was 3 months after leaving that he finally checked it out. We kept it in good condition while we were there, we watered the lawn frequently. It was nice and green when we left.

I was dumb enough to think that another military member wouldn't do wrong to a veteran. Because he was a friend of a military friend of mine. I decided to rent from the guy. He also tried to switch the situation on us! Saying we should do the right thing and clean the apartment or take responsibility for the charges (3 months later) We were good tenants, always paid on time, kept the place as clean as how we got it. He also did this to the other previous tenant. It took her 4 months to get her deposit back. But I have a feeling he won't give this one up willingly.

I won't mention which branch he is in because he shouldn't be associated with them.

2. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    How much money are we talking about?

3. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    $1600

4. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    What state does he live in?

5. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    How much is the deposit? Probably not worth pursuing. Every landlord I've ever had says the place isn't clean enough or there were stains and shit. Not worth arguing about to me. The most I've paid for deposit was $400 though.

6. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    He just replied saying I will prepare an invoice for the cleaning and getting rid of the smell and cat hair....

We cleaned that place well and have pictures to prove it.

7. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    Thats one hell of a deposit:eek:

8. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Was there a signed document saying what condition the place was in prior to moving in and after leaving?

9. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Not by our standards out here

10. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I requested an inspection from him prior to moving out and he declined saying he didn't have time. I did however get a paper signed by the realtor which I had to give the keys to saying I was giving her the keys and also that the place was in good condition. This was something I wrote up myself and I have pictures of the rental.

11. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    krap22

krap22 Well-Known Member

Member:

does the landlord still own the property or has it been sold? if they still own it, put a lein against the property

12. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    chris5255

chris5255 Me mber

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Renton WA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport-'07 FJ Cruiser
    BAMF Sliders Fog light switch mod, Pelfreybilt Front bumper, Warn Zeon10 winch pinstriping for speed
    In Washington State owners must return deposits within a reasonable period (3 weeks I think)with a full explanation of any deductions. If they don't meet the timeline then they are obligated to return the full amount. I believe California has a similar law. There should also be a tenant advocacy group in your area that can give you quick answers to your questions. Once you know the law and are sure of your position you can probably go to small claims court and get a judgement in your favor. It may take some time to get your money back but the process is not too difficult. Good luck.

13. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    Graham

Graham Pay it Forward

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 TRD Black V6 6 speed manual
    ^ This

14. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Dang, that's not going to help you much because he didn't sign it. Unless you have the ability to take him to small claims or civil court where he is I'm afraid you are probably going to get screwed. Sadly, the amount of money we're talking about is simply not worth the expense it would take to recover it. My advice (unless someone has a better idea), is to get whatever you can from him, find whoever his CO is and write them a nasty letter saying how much his soldier is a thief. CO's love to hear that kind of thing. Good Luck

15. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    It all depends on where you're at. Where I am, the place we are renting out to a tenant put the first month rent down as deposit: $1650.
    OP if you have pictures, make sure they know. Good idea that you did that. Before I rented our place out I took pictures and video to document the condition of the house. When tenants leave if theres a problem I will have proof. You shouldn't have to fight to get your deposit back. If any repairs are necessary they should get it done and give you the rest back. If not, it's all yours. They might just not have the money to give to you.

16. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I was starting to consider finding information about his unit so that is a possibility.

17. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    yeah thats true, but in the cases I've seen where animals have pissed and crapped all over the house there are usually other telltale signs, like destroyed carpet and walls, curtains, etc...
    Either way I hope she gets it worked out and at least something back.

18. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    DCGirl

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    There is, it's 21 days here. I have brought it up and he doesn't care.

19. Feb 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    chris5255

chris5255 Me mber

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Renton WA
    Vehicle:
    BAMF Sliders Fog light switch mod, Pelfreybilt Front bumper, Warn Zeon10 winch pinstriping for speed
    Whether he cares or not it is still a legal obligation of an owner. If you can find a tenant advocacy office in your area they should be able to help you get your money back. Small claims court might still be an option regardless of what you were told the first time. With a judgement in your favor the court may be able to "attach" the owners direct deposit bank account.

20. Feb 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    chris5255

chris5255 Me mber

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Renton WA
    Vehicle:
    From the County department of Consumer Affairs

When does my landlord have to return my deposit?

The landlord must return your deposit within 21 days after you move out. If any deductions are made, the landlord must give you a written explanation. He must also give you a refund of the balance.

If your landlord does not return the deposit, or if you disagree with the amounts deducted, you can sue in Small Claims Court. For more information, contact our Small Claims Advisors at (213) 974-9759. Instead of going to court, you can also try our free mediation program to help you resolve the dispute.

Products Discussed in

To Top