Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Help coming up with shelf design

Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Help coming up with shelf design

I live in a dorm and dont have really any leeway for any screws in walls and such, the most is just thumb tacks....so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a shelf design that would be pretty lightweight and cheap to make... as well as being as easy on the walls as possible... I'm drawing a blank here
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
A single shelf or ?

How much weight will it need to carry ?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
A single shelf or ?

just like a single shelf maybe 2 and a half feet in length... and not much, just little model cars and planes that were given to me.... definitely no more then 2 lbs
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this ^^^

I personally (I'm pretty dumb sometimes....) would get a basic shelf use the command strip stickies like hell on it...I'm kidding, though that might work if doen correctly, them things can hold a lot. I'd say if you arent looking to hold your school books up, you could pull this off

I had a friend of mine build a shelf for his desk out of 1x8s or 1x10s, then screwed into the molding with eyelets and used fishing line from those to keep it steady agains the wall. when he left, he filled it with white putty and no one ever knew a difference

saw what weight you needed, if you want something on the wall, then I would just make a shelf like below (simple as possible and still strong) and then just use the backing from the command strip hooks (the double stick tape) to attach it to the wall
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Your basic milk crates and 2x10's should do it, unless you want it off the floor
Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
like someone said above... command stick things work the best. If your RA gets pissed then you can show them it won't screw up the wall.

Once upon a time, I was an RA
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathunder View Post
I live in a dorm and dont have really any leeway for any screws in walls and such, the most is just thumb tacks....so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a shelf design that would be pretty lightweight and cheap to make... as well as being as easy on the walls as possible... I'm drawing a blank here
wall "damage" and what it would take to return it to origional condition varies depending on wall material.

masonry? wood? drywall? textured?

simple shelf brackets in steel or wood from Home Depot and a few fasteners would be the basic set up. fasteners would depend on wall surface.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
like someone said above... command stick things work the best. If your RA gets pissed then you can show them it won't screw up the wall.
I forgot to mention the RAs, one of my best friend freshman year of college was an RA, one he was told something wouldn't damage the walls (or you would repair it to a point where it wouldn't be noticed, he wouldn't say another thing about it.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
What the hell is an RA ?
Resident advisor, basically the person in the dorms that can write you up for conduct etc..
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
Resident advisor, basically the person in the dorms that can write you up for conduct etc..
Oh , the snitch
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
The Dorm Dick.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh , the snitch
not always....Mine actually had me change my room condition form at the end of the year so that I wouldn't get charged. I have friend's this year who is an RA, watches people come in drunk all the time, won't say a word (even if they are underage) as long as they go straight to their room and don't create a fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
The Dorm Dick.
Some of my best friend's are RAs..........then again, some of them are dicks...
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #15

still cant think of a damn thing... its stupid, usually i can come up with something like this easily lol
Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
the dorm dick...
hm well I wasnt a very good RA. for example-
gonna marry a girl who was a freshmen on my floor.
Kinda a big no no to sleep with a resident

But yes, some RAs are complete douchebags
others can be really good
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
What about building something like this out of wood:

Just two support poles and a wide base to keep it from tipping (taller with a shelf instead of the drying poles).
Attached Thumbnails
Help coming up with shelf design-shelf.jpg