1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help coming up with shelf design

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tacomathunder, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    tacomathunder

tacomathunder [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    I live in a dorm and dont have really any leeway for any screws in walls and such, the most is just thumb tacks....so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a shelf design that would be pretty lightweight and cheap to make... as well as being as easy on the walls as possible... I'm drawing a blank here

2. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    A single shelf or ?

How much weight will it need to carry ?

3. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    pop-a-lock on tailgate, tailgate damper by ez down, extang platinum snap tonneau cover, rampage LED light bar, etrailer wiring harness, black led tail lights, tsi clutter catcher center console, griffin itrip ipod player,BHLM,35W DDM Tuning hid's 5000K, Day Time Running Light Mod, New Sony Stereo
    just like a single shelf maybe 2 and a half feet in length... and not much, just little model cars and planes that were given to me.... definitely no more then 2 lbs

4. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    this ^^^

I personally (I'm pretty dumb sometimes....) would get a basic shelf use the command strip stickies like hell on it...I'm kidding, though that might work if doen correctly, them things can hold a lot. I'd say if you arent looking to hold your school books up, you could pull this off

I had a friend of mine build a shelf for his desk out of 1x8s or 1x10s, then screwed into the molding with eyelets and used fishing line from those to keep it steady agains the wall. when he left, he filled it with white putty and no one ever knew a difference

saw what weight you needed, if you want something on the wall, then I would just make a shelf like below (simple as possible and still strong) and then just use the backing from the command strip hooks (the double stick tape) to attach it to the wall

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Your basic milk crates and 2x10's should do it, unless you want it off the floor

6. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    I would like to hang it from my wall about a foot from the ceiling

7. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    like someone said above... command stick things work the best. If your RA gets pissed then you can show them it won't screw up the wall.

Once upon a time, I was an RA :eek:

8. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    wall "damage" and what it would take to return it to origional condition varies depending on wall material.

masonry? wood? drywall? textured?

simple shelf brackets in steel or wood from Home Depot and a few fasteners would be the basic set up. fasteners would depend on wall surface.

9. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    I forgot to mention the RAs, one of my best friend freshman year of college was an RA, one he was told something wouldn't damage the walls (or you would repair it to a point where it wouldn't be noticed, he wouldn't say another thing about it.

10. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What the hell is an RA ?

11. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    Resident advisor, basically the person in the dorms that can write you up for conduct etc..

12. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Oh , the snitch

13. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The Dorm Dick.

14. Feb 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    not always....Mine actually had me change my room condition form at the end of the year so that I wouldn't get charged. I have friend's this year who is an RA, watches people come in drunk all the time, won't say a word (even if they are underage) as long as they go straight to their room and don't create a fuss.

Some of my best friend's are RAs..........then again, some of them are dicks...

15. Feb 27, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    tacomathunder

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl reg cab
    still cant think of a damn thing... its stupid, usually i can come up with something like this easily lol

16. Feb 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    the dorm dick...
    hm well I wasnt a very good RA. for example-
    gonna marry a girl who was a freshmen on my floor.
    Kinda a big no no to sleep with a resident :rolleyes:

But yes, some RAs are complete douchebags
    others can be really good

17. Feb 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    What about building something like this out of wood:
    shelf.jpg

Just two support poles and a wide base to keep it from tipping (taller with a shelf instead of the drying poles).

Products Discussed in

To Top