Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Best Dealership Salesman Quote You've Personally Heard

Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Best Dealership Salesman Quote You've Personally Heard

My buddy is researching Tacomas and may get his first truck soon. We were discussing why he shouldn't bother listening to salesmen on some things and I remembered a great one from when I took my first Tacoma test drive.

I mentioned something about the auto transmission having all those juts and sideways motions being different than the older cars I was used to and he pointed to where you can move it from D to 4 and said "That's the more power option"

Apparently you can slap it sideways when on the move and get more power out of it. Woo!

What is your best dealership salesman quote that you have personally gotten?
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Fire Pony
Ice Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shedIce Horse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lauren
Ice Horse's Tacoma Gallery
My favorite is when vehicles are still filthy inside and out. Then here comes the "if you buy it we'll clean it for you."

If you're too lazy to get out soda cans and crap then no.

Or how salesmen never know answers without having to look at the sheet on the window or go back inside. You don't have that many models, you stand around most of the day, why not learn your product? I'm perfectly capable of reading a sheet.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Me: "whats so special about this baja?" -played dumb

sales guy "see that field and hill (it was a pretty nice area)...lets go for a ride"

I like my setup better....I wasnt impressed with the high speed uneven dirt road ride of the baja honestly.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I almost feel bad for salesman. I've always gone in knowing more than they do. I've done all my research their job is to only give me a number we are both satisfied with and fill out the paper work.

I've never gotten any really ridiculous lines but I do remember back in 2007 or so I was looking at a new 4Runner. It was an SR5 package V6 model. Salesman came out and was like oh I see you're looking at a V6 car you must like to go fast. I'm like well its the standard engine option if I wanted more power I'd look at the V8 bit if I wanted something to go fast in I wouldn't be looking at a 4Runner at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
Not from the sales man but this was when i was signing for it with my friend.

Friend: Yeah i know the sales guy. I went to high school with him
Financing guy or what ever they are called: Oh really. How was that?
Friend: We use to beat him up.
Financing guy: *poker face*
Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
When my dad was looking at F350.

"If you buy it today I will buy your gas for a year."
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
If ya ain't first, your last!
CNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really niceCNEDEER is just really nice
Name: Nate
CNEDEER's Tacoma Gallery
Well this should be interesting, given that I currently work at a dealership

Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
"We can't get the Tacoma in manual, they don't make them that way" this was when I was buying my 12..
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
"We can't get the Tacoma in manual, they don't make them that way" this was when I was buying my 12..
I got the same line at a dealership when I was considering buying a new one: "They don't make the 4x4 trd in a manual"

I swung by a different dealership to look at a certified truck, but it sold that day, so the sales-woman tried to sell me on a baja 6 speed.

The convo went something like this:
"Sorry, it looks like that truck sold, but we have this nice baja edition 4x4 access cab, like you wanted"
"I can't afford to spend 35K on a new truck, the used one in the lower 20s is my upper limit"
"You don't have anyone who could help you out?
"No, and (playing dumb), why would I want a baja edition anyways?"
"It has upgraded suspension and upgraded wheels"
"That's one hell of an expensive 5100 lift. Are those beadlocks?"
"Yes, they are custom beadlock rims"
I smiled and said I didn't want a 6 speed anyways - too many people have TO bearing issues and the rev hang drives me nuts.
"Thats just from people who don't know how to drive a stick"

You gotta love the stealerships sometimes. I get that they're just trying to make their comission, but comeon! Don't try to upsell a guy looking at a used truck in the lower 20s to a 35k baja edition and BS the details!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Worst:
When buying my '11 Taco from the only one of three dealerships in the area that had a 4x4 2.7 5 speed AC that I saw online & went to them. "we can't find it why don't you go inside while we look for it". 45 min later "we found another one" than he showed me an automatic. Another 45 min later "we found it".
Best:
When buying the wife's Volvo S60 T5. He knew what the car could do & how to sell it. "How fast are you going?" I told him 45 "Get it up to 55, don't touch the brakes give it some gas in the turn and get on the on ramp" I did it and before I got to the end of the on ramp I looked down and I was doing over 100MPH.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
DUDE MAN BRO
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant futureBEEFY_CHEESY_TACO has a brilliant future

Air Force: A.G.E.
Name: Hot Carl!!!
BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
When I was looking at my Tacoma the salesman referred to the rear locker button as the "drag race/burn out mode" and the traction control button as the "donut" button, like he was selling it to a teenager.....
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Let me say this:

As an ex-salesman, (for a short period of time anyways) I can say that we were extensively trained in people and how to get them to part with their money, while we received almost NO training on the vehicles we were supposed to sell.

You could call Bullshit on almost any "quote" from a dealer regarding a car or truck.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at a Chevy S-10 about 25 years ago:

Salesman: "It's got a V-6, so it has lots of power"
Me (looking under the hood): "It's a 4 cylinder"
Salesman: "Nope, it's got a V-6"
Me: "Look, there are only 4 spark plugs, it's a 4 cylinder"
Salesman: "I'm pretty sure that's a V-6"
Me: "you have a nice evening"
Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
03DBLCABTACO's Tacoma Gallery
At a chevy dealer in 94. This new body style Camaro is front wheel drive. I said have a nice day and bought from another dealer.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
When the ford raptor came out, we saw it at an auto show and the sales people were talking it up hardcore... "This truck will make any off road vehicle look stupid out on the trails."
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
From a BMW salesman while I was test driving a 335i on an empty (completely empty - private) straight road, from a stop...

Dealer: "Step on it, get to about 75-80."

Me: "okay..."

*...At 80...*

Dealer: "OK, I want you to try and snap off the brake pedal."

Me: "...what..?"

Dealer: "Slam on the brakes as hard as you can, don't let up... if you can snap the brake pedal off, I will give you the car."

I tried to put the pedal into the ground... The nose of the car didn't even dip, not a hint of ABS or skidding... It just stopped... Once I came to a stop...

Dealer: "You let off, didn't you..." With a shit-eating grin.