Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Furlough, more like Fur-blow

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Furlough, more like Fur-blow

Anyone else affected by this? What are your thoughts and how do you plan on dealing with it. Try to look for a part time job?

Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I am a contract worker so I am not directly affected by it, yet.

Our contract was set to expire March 31st. At that time it was either suppose to renew, or another contractor would pick it up. With the sequester we got was is called a "bridge agreement" and we will continue to work untill the goberment decides what it wants to do.

I hate not knowing and being able to plan for the future. With all that being said I will be using my GI bill to start college this fall.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post

Our contract was set to expire March 31st. At that time it was either suppose to renew, or another contractor would pick it up. With the sequester we got was is called a "bridge agreement" and we will continue to work untill the goberment decides what it wants to do.

I hate not knowing and being able to plan for the future. With all that being said I will be using my GI bill to start college this fall.
I'm taking an overall 20% pay cut. One unpaid day off a week for the next 5 1/2 months. I'm in school now so the money I get from the VA makes up for the loss in pay, but it just doesn't seem right to me that this affects all of us while congress still gets their annual raises meanwhile the president is doing this roadshow thing and taking vacations. I mean shit, when we were wondering if the furlough was actually going to be a go the president was out golfing with Tiger Woods! I know I'm ranting but there are better ways to save money instead of impacting the people that help protect this country. I say if congress is so concerned with how they're going to save money then they should take a look around at one another.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
undecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Adam
undecided's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

x2

I am a contractor as well and my company president said "you will know when we will know" It turned out that he didnt know much... I already work 2 jobs. If I get furloughed I just gotta tighten the purse strings a bit more i guess. Money def does not go as far as it used to.

I know that anything that is "mission essentail" will continue and most of the upper management will have a regular work schedle. Whom decides who is "mission essentail"? My command already works with a skeleton crew already.

Sorry, just blowing off steam. I cant find a better place to rant than the interwebz

Old 03-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I will be getting an extra 14 days off between now and 30 Sept, unpaid of course. I'm guessing every other friday. 8 hours per pay period.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
We're still okay for the time being, but if any of our customers have to cut back, I don't see how it won't affect us somehow. Overtime is probably on it's way out.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
My wife to be works in the SSA office and they are talking about forcing them to take extra days off per week. The way she talks is that this will rotate through the office and affect everyone equally. Lucky for us, we planned for something like this to happen and have a few bucks in reserves, so while this isnt anything nice to have to deal with, we still wont have to get on assistance and rely on the government to survive. Thank GOD

Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
that would be 16 hours a pay period...looks like I will be trying to do some consulting work with my free time, but since everything will slow down, it won't be easy...I think this is truly terrible, balancing the budget on my nickle.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Furlough= CA= I work for the state= Blows

Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
4yrs of it.....................started at 3 furloughs a month......then 2 furloughs a month.

the best part............I work in an understaffed place thats a 24hr facility.

We work FREE on those furlough days, because the "furlough" hours get "banked" on our books....BUT due to staffing issues, we are NOT able to use them.

derp

Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Furlough= CA= I work for the state= Blows
I truly feel ur pain...............specially if u work on furlough days like I do for free

use the fuck out of your insurance man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Cut pay and benefits to all elected officials untill they are able to make a balanced budget.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cut pay and benefits to all elected officials untill they are able to make a balanced budget.
You mean as an incentive to get their asses in gear? that would be awesome!
I wish that cut would also help the deficit...but thats like a drop in the bucket of how ever many trillion in the red...

Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i work for california also.

whatever. i use the extra time off for fun stuff. hunting fishing..or track days. the smaller paycheck, i deal with it. i dont buy stupid stuff. i have no debt besides my home.

on the plus side..my vacation balance is staggering. without the random "mental holiday"..i dont need to tap into vaca..and i am stockpiling the days!!this will bite the state in the ass in the long run.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
is the furlough you got directly related to the sequester? Im a contractor as well but we haven't heard anything from our company if it will affect us or not. I'm personally hoping we are too high profile of a program to cut. but anything is possible I guess. I feel for you guys I was laid off from my job 4 years ago and never really quite recovered from it.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #16

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
I wish i could roll furloughs into vacation time.....for vaca I have about 500hrs

Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
We're looking at 1 day a week for 22 weeks. Works out to 20% of my pay. It hasn't hit us yet. They have to give a 30 day notice. Things will be tight but we do have some cash set aside for emergencies. Just bought a new house back in July. We'll scale back our spending. Probably have to let the gardener go until it resolves. He's been working at our property for the past 30 years (previous owners recommended him).

It sucks that both sides are willing to let it happen on my dime.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #18

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
We're looking at 1 day a week for 22 weeks. Works out to 20% of my pay. It hasn't hit us yet. They have to give a 30 day notice. Things will be tight but we do have some cash set aside for emergencies. Just bought a new house back in July. We'll scale back our spending. Probably have to let the gardener go until it resolves. He's been working at our property for the past 30 years (previous owners recommended him).

It sucks that both sides are willing to let it happen on my dime.
I'm in the same boat man. Was going to try and buy a house this summer but we'll see. All I know though is at my 32 hour mark I'm yelling out "FURLOUGH!" then dropping my tools and going home, lol.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well they have in place a "no budget, no pay" law (signed in February). It's not a requirement for a balanced budget though.
http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/...pay-law/61098/

Old 03-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
its hard to rant on this without bringing politics into play. im across the country, but knowing this is happening to you guys fucking pisses me off. they cut your pay like you were making too much in the first place, its bull shit.

Closed Thread