1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*College* Thinking about changing my major(input needed)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChamYota, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota [OP] Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    SO... here's the rundown:

TW normally is good to me so i figured i'd give it another go again.

My goal: To become an FBI special agent in wherever i find an interest in and to help better people's lives. That's all i've ever really wanted to do.

Current situation
    -I am Currently a sophmore(by hours) at Clemson University majoring in Computer Science with a minor in Philosophy.

-I really enjoy my philosophy classes and i hate my Comp Sci classes, i had a different idea of computer science when i was trying to pick my major.

-I do NOT want to sit at a computer and write/debug/run code for the rest of my life, i want to get out there and make a change in someone's life even if it's just one.

-I spoke with a TW member who is currently in Seattle working for the FBI for what is now 5 years, i spoke with him about my situation and he has brought me new light.

-I thought i had to get a degree in a really technical field to get me into the FBI, he informed me that it wasnt about my education major-per se. It was more about your ability to think critically and make judgments correctly as well as Leadership experiences. I told him about my interests in Philosophy. I think it's a good field to go into as well as i actually enjoy reading Philosophy and it is definitely critical thinking type stuff. He also told me that i should also try and pick up a second language, which im sorta working on now (Spanish) i took a couple years in High School and wouldnt mind getting back into the grind of learning a new language and "separating" myself from the 100,000+ applicants that will apply as well.

-I understand that i will have to go into the Military, to gain even more Leadership experience as an officer, as well as find a specialty in there as well (Ranger, EOD, ect) to make myself that "1%". This is what i want to do...

The New Plan

-Change major to Philosophy(law,justice) with a minor in Spanish

-Go into the Military and try to get into a specialty

-Internship in various leadership opportunities to build experience.

-around the age of 26-ish, hopefully have the experience,training,knowledge to finally apply for the FBI and see what happens.

-I understand i may be a bit naive thinking it's going to just unfold like i want it to but it's what i want to do.

I do NOT want to study something i dont enjoy simply to "Make Money". To me that is a waste of 4 years and experiences just to "chase money around". So what do y'all, TW think about this?

2. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    I changed majors two times already. You will eventually make more money in doing what you enjoy instead of hating your job and not moving up because you can barley tolerate it as it is. That's how i look at it instead of picking majors based one how much you will make out of school like i did at first. My first major was electrical engineering and i have always been into building computers and electronics and figured i was going into a field i would relate to, but i hated the classes and couldn't imagine myself doing that as a career. I don't regret changing my major, i am happy with the path i am on even if i wont make as much at first, but at least i wont hate going to work everyday.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  3. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    I think its great you are planning on serving this county. I just graduated college 2 years ago. I have friends who got degrees in lots of subjects. Most of my friends have not found real jobs yet. My goal was to be highway patrol. I knew what I wanted to do. I was going to be a criminal justice major, but parents talked to me and said what will you do it you graduate with a criminal justice degree and cant work in law enforcement. I ended up getting a finance degree. When I graduated college the highway patrol was not highering nor were most plolice departments. I was able to fall back on my finance degree and I now have a great job. FBI and the police department higher people with degrees in all kinds of fields. Make sure your degree gives you a fall back. What would you do with a philosophy degree if you couldnt work at the FBI? just something to think about. Goodluck

4. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    If philosophy is acceptable, swap your major and minor around. Philosophy major with computer science minor. That way you can use what you've already done. I believe you'll need two upper division computer science classes. I would think they would like psychology vs philosophy but I'm not certain.

5. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    My logic exactly.

My Fallback is to stay in the Military in whatever speciality im in. I dont really plan on having a civilian job if i dont get in to be honest, im a philosophy major w/ a spanish minor. I dont really have much for me in the civillian world to my knowledge, it sort of defeats the purpose of going to college, why go to school for something that can make you money but you freaking hate doing the work for it,that's just not a good way to live life for me personally. :) thanks for the input.

I dont like comp sci- I'm in the First class that counts for the major right now so i have plenty of space to not go into it and go elsewhere.

6. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    All I can say is to do BEYOND WELL on your ROTC classes. I have a friend who BARELY earned a Criminal Justice degree from North Texas U. He currently is an 0-4 flying KC-135 for the Air Force. His graduating gpa was 1.7, but his ROTC classes were 4.0. That helped him get into flight school, the rest was up to him once he got there.

7. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Okeetee

Okeetee I like the Anaheim Ducks

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    OME 887 coil springs, Bilstein 5100s (front/rear), Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's HD 1.5" AAL, 18x9 Pro Comp series 7032, Toyo Open Country A/T II (LT285/65R18)
    I think you answered your own question. Pursue something that will make you happy. You're a young guy with ambition and a GAME PLAN.

My advice? Go for it! Work your tail off, make as many contacts as you can in the field(s) you want to make a career in, and you'll reach your goal. Do what makes you happy.

I changed majors early in college (declared Zoology out of high school then switched to Journalism) and it was the best decision I ever made. Now I have a career that I love. It took a ton of hard work but I was determined and it paid off.

As Confucius once said, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

8. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    Going in as an officer I would look into a field that will be relative to what you will be doing in the FBI. Look into CID or psyops. Dont limit yourself to FBI only, once your 4 years up. Look into CIA, homeland security and border patrol. Especially if you are learning Spanish. As a side note go ROTC. That will give you a minor in military science and the opportunity to knock out schools and leadership training in the summer. AIRBORNE!

9. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Since you're not far along, a switch sounds good. Computer science is definitely not for everyone and it gets more tedious as you go. You should do what you enjoy.

:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4VD8uvgec

10. Mar 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    ambiguous

ambiguous Master Retrofitter @RECHELON/AESTHETICS Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt
    Portland, OR to SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD
    With a philosophy major, keep in mind that you'll need a minimum 3.5 GPA to become in officer in any of the branches. Recruiters are looking for more technical degrees such as nursing, engineering, and etc. Obviously that doesn't mean you cannot become an officer. It's just more of a challenge. Talk to recruiters in your area and they can definitely steer you in the right path. As others have said, go ROTC.

11. Mar 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Keep it coming fellas, good stuff.

It's hard for me personally to find a major will be both useful AND something im seriously intrested in

12. Mar 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    Theory of Relativity major or a Physicist.

13. Mar 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Was this serious? :confused: not sure

14. Mar 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Do you know what they call a physicist with a job? An engineer.

15. Mar 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM

169.254.255.201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interwebs
    I know a future hopefully FBI agent.. And I might know a FBI agent who belongs on TW.. Woah.
    But if you don't like what you're studying, don't do it. Back out before its to late.

16. Mar 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Yeah every comp science major at my school takes maybe one shower per year, you don't want to be that :laugh:

But seriously, I would do what you like, talking to others already working in the field is probably the best thing you can do.

17. Mar 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Thanks fellas, lol i take 2 showers a day and i play sports. lol Comp sci just isnt my cup of tea.

18. Mar 2, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    cmoulton13

cmoulton13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    georgia
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma double cab trd off road
    :(
    I am an officer in the army and got my BS in criminal justice. If you enjoy the military it will be hard to leave... and if you are and officer you will be probably take a significant pay cut going FBI. Chances are you will be a captain coming out and making about 80k. You will however achieve your goal of helping others with military service.

Good Luck

19. Mar 2, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    ChamYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, i will have to take this into consideration since for the most part, i should be riding solo if the "one" doesnt happen to show up in-between now and then so i should be alright in that department.

Thanks man.

Products Discussed in

To Top