Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

*College* Thinking about changing my major(input needed)

Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
*College* Thinking about changing my major(input needed)

SO... here's the rundown:

TW normally is good to me so i figured i'd give it another go again.

My goal: To become an FBI special agent in wherever i find an interest in and to help better people's lives. That's all i've ever really wanted to do.

Current situation
-I am Currently a sophmore(by hours) at Clemson University majoring in Computer Science with a minor in Philosophy.

-I really enjoy my philosophy classes and i hate my Comp Sci classes, i had a different idea of computer science when i was trying to pick my major.

-I do NOT want to sit at a computer and write/debug/run code for the rest of my life, i want to get out there and make a change in someone's life even if it's just one.

-I spoke with a TW member who is currently in Seattle working for the FBI for what is now 5 years, i spoke with him about my situation and he has brought me new light.

-I thought i had to get a degree in a really technical field to get me into the FBI, he informed me that it wasnt about my education major-per se. It was more about your ability to think critically and make judgments correctly as well as Leadership experiences. I told him about my interests in Philosophy. I think it's a good field to go into as well as i actually enjoy reading Philosophy and it is definitely critical thinking type stuff. He also told me that i should also try and pick up a second language, which im sorta working on now (Spanish) i took a couple years in High School and wouldnt mind getting back into the grind of learning a new language and "separating" myself from the 100,000+ applicants that will apply as well.

-I understand that i will have to go into the Military, to gain even more Leadership experience as an officer, as well as find a specialty in there as well (Ranger, EOD, ect) to make myself that "1%". This is what i want to do...

The New Plan

-Change major to Philosophy(law,justice) with a minor in Spanish

-Go into the Military and try to get into a specialty

-Internship in various leadership opportunities to build experience.

-around the age of 26-ish, hopefully have the experience,training,knowledge to finally apply for the FBI and see what happens.

-I understand i may be a bit naive thinking it's going to just unfold like i want it to but it's what i want to do.

I do NOT want to study something i dont enjoy simply to "Make Money". To me that is a waste of 4 years and experiences just to "chase money around". So what do y'all, TW think about this?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
KJaikaran will become famous soon enough
KJaikaran's Tacoma Gallery
I changed majors two times already. You will eventually make more money in doing what you enjoy instead of hating your job and not moving up because you can barley tolerate it as it is. That's how i look at it instead of picking majors based one how much you will make out of school like i did at first. My first major was electrical engineering and i have always been into building computers and electronics and figured i was going into a field i would relate to, but i hated the classes and couldn't imagine myself doing that as a career. I don't regret changing my major, i am happy with the path i am on even if i wont make as much at first, but at least i wont hate going to work everyday.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I think its great you are planning on serving this county. I just graduated college 2 years ago. I have friends who got degrees in lots of subjects. Most of my friends have not found real jobs yet. My goal was to be highway patrol. I knew what I wanted to do. I was going to be a criminal justice major, but parents talked to me and said what will you do it you graduate with a criminal justice degree and cant work in law enforcement. I ended up getting a finance degree. When I graduated college the highway patrol was not highering nor were most plolice departments. I was able to fall back on my finance degree and I now have a great job. FBI and the police department higher people with degrees in all kinds of fields. Make sure your degree gives you a fall back. What would you do with a philosophy degree if you couldnt work at the FBI? just something to think about. Goodluck
Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
If philosophy is acceptable, swap your major and minor around. Philosophy major with computer science minor. That way you can use what you've already done. I believe you'll need two upper division computer science classes. I would think they would like psychology vs philosophy but I'm not certain.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJaikaran View Post
I changed majors two times already. You will eventually make more money in doing what you enjoy instead of hating your job and not moving up because you can barley tolerate it as it is. That's how i look at it instead of picking majors based one how much you will make out of school like i did at first. My first major was electrical engineering and i have always been into building computers and electronics and figured i was going into a field i would relate to, but i hated the classes and couldn't imagine myself doing that as a career. I don't regret changing my major, i am happy with the path i am on even if i wont make as much at first, but at least i wont hate going to work everyday.
My logic exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
I think its great you are planning on serving this county. I just graduated college 2 years ago. I have friends who got degrees in lots of subjects. Most of my friends have not found real jobs yet. My goal was to be highway patrol. I knew what I wanted to do. I was going to be a criminal justice major, but parents talked to me and said what will you do it you graduate with a criminal justice degree and cant work in law enforcement. I ended up getting a finance degree. When I graduated college the highway patrol was not highering nor were most plolice departments. I was able to fall back on my finance degree and I now have a great job. FBI and the police department higher people with degrees in all kinds of fields. Make sure your degree gives you a fall back. What would you do with a philosophy degree if you couldnt work at the FBI? just something to think about. Goodluck
My Fallback is to stay in the Military in whatever speciality im in. I dont really plan on having a civilian job if i dont get in to be honest, im a philosophy major w/ a spanish minor. I dont really have much for me in the civillian world to my knowledge, it sort of defeats the purpose of going to college, why go to school for something that can make you money but you freaking hate doing the work for it,that's just not a good way to live life for me personally. thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
If philosophy is acceptable, swap your major and minor around. Philosophy major with computer science minor. That way you can use what you've already done. I believe you'll need two upper division computer science classes. I would think they would like psychology vs philosophy but I'm not certain.
I dont like comp sci- I'm in the First class that counts for the major right now so i have plenty of space to not go into it and go elsewhere.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
All I can say is to do BEYOND WELL on your ROTC classes. I have a friend who BARELY earned a Criminal Justice degree from North Texas U. He currently is an 0-4 flying KC-135 for the Air Force. His graduating gpa was 1.7, but his ROTC classes were 4.0. That helped him get into flight school, the rest was up to him once he got there.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shedOkeetee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post

I do NOT want to study something i dont enjoy simply to "Make Money". To me that is a waste of 4 years and experiences just to "chase money around". So what do y'all, TW think about this?
I think you answered your own question. Pursue something that will make you happy. You're a young guy with ambition and a GAME PLAN.

My advice? Go for it! Work your tail off, make as many contacts as you can in the field(s) you want to make a career in, and you'll reach your goal. Do what makes you happy.

I changed majors early in college (declared Zoology out of high school then switched to Journalism) and it was the best decision I ever made. Now I have a career that I love. It took a ton of hard work but I was determined and it paid off.

As Confucius once said, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
sjwhitaker is on a distinguished road

Army: Spec 4 Mafia
Name: Jake
sjwhitaker's Tacoma Gallery
Going in as an officer I would look into a field that will be relative to what you will be doing in the FBI. Look into CID or psyops. Dont limit yourself to FBI only, once your 4 years up. Look into CIA, homeland security and border patrol. Especially if you are learning Spanish. As a side note go ROTC. That will give you a minor in military science and the opportunity to knock out schools and leadership training in the summer. AIRBORNE!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
I dont like comp sci- I'm in the First class that counts for the major right now so i have plenty of space to not go into it and go elsewhere.
Since you're not far along, a switch sounds good. Computer science is definitely not for everyone and it gets more tedious as you go. You should do what you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4VD8uvgec
Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only guy that is going to say philosophy is a bad idea? It is. If you don't like computer science, then look into other majors that you might like more, but not philosophy. Pick a degree that has some real world applicability. Maybe look at one of the other preferred degrees on the FBI website.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
ambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shedambiguous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Burt
ambiguous's Tacoma Gallery
With a philosophy major, keep in mind that you'll need a minimum 3.5 GPA to become in officer in any of the branches. Recruiters are looking for more technical degrees such as nursing, engineering, and etc. Obviously that doesn't mean you cannot become an officer. It's just more of a challenge. Talk to recruiters in your area and they can definitely steer you in the right path. As others have said, go ROTC.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Keep it coming fellas, good stuff.

It's hard for me personally to find a major will be both useful AND something im seriously intrested in
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Theory of Relativity major or a Physicist.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
Was this serious? not sure
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
Do you know what they call a physicist with a job? An engineer.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
I know a future hopefully FBI agent.. And I might know a FBI agent who belongs on TW.. Woah.
But if you don't like what you're studying, don't do it. Back out before its to late.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah every comp science major at my school takes maybe one shower per year, you don't want to be that

But seriously, I would do what you like, talking to others already working in the field is probably the best thing you can do.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Thanks fellas, lol i take 2 showers a day and i play sports. lol Comp sci just isnt my cup of tea.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
cmoulton13 is on a distinguished road

Army: Armor Officer
cmoulton13's Tacoma Gallery
I am an officer in the army and got my BS in criminal justice. If you enjoy the military it will be hard to leave... and if you are and officer you will be probably take a significant pay cut going FBI. Chances are you will be a captain coming out and making about 80k. You will however achieve your goal of helping others with military service.

Good Luck
Old 03-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoulton13 View Post
I am an officer in the army and got my BS in criminal justice. If you enjoy the military it will be hard to leave... and if you are and officer you will be probably take a significant pay cut going FBI. Chances are you will be a captain coming out and making about 80k. You will however achieve your goal of helping others with military service.

Good Luck
Thanks for the words of encouragement, i will have to take this into consideration since for the most part, i should be riding solo if the "one" doesnt happen to show up in-between now and then so i should be alright in that department.

Thanks man.