Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Who ears suspenders here?

Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #1
ToyotaTRD will become famous soon enoughToyotaTRD will become famous soon enough
ToyotaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Who wears suspenders here?

So I've been wanting to wear suspenders for a long time now. But with great suspenders comes great responsibility Anyway, I'm a bigger guy and I love wearing suspenders with a dress suit and I don't wear a belt with it. At work I wear flame retardant navy slacks and a blue button up shirt (I work in a chemical plant). I want to ditch the belt and go with suspenders but I also carry a flashlight and my work phone on my belt. I don't want both a belt and suspenders. So, anyone else wear suspenders? What do you recommend? I will only buy made in USA.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Are you trying to look like a nerd?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
I generally only wear my suspenders when Civil War reenacting. Not terribly fond of them. Couldn't tell you what brand they are, either- I have no clue. They don't rightly fit, either, I can never find a pair small enough for me. Just like with pants. :P
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I HIGHLY commend you .... for wanting to keep your pants up and avoiding unnecessary plumbers cleavage.

UNLIKE the younger generation whose pants are dragging below their knees!!!

I work in a factory myself and its all about comfort & convenience and it ain't no fashion show!!

Whatever suspenders you buy, they probably have various utility pouches/ accessories to hold various things.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Mudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudfinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Lefty
Mudfinger's Tacoma Gallery
Before WW2 (or thereabouts...), suspenders were the normal way to keep pants up, regardless of how formal the attire. Waistcoats/vests were a typical part of a man's suit, as well, and even blue-collar workers wore them. Unless your work phone is particularly large, it should fit in a waistcoat pocket pretty easily, and you can always use a beltloop for its original intended purpose, to hang something, like your flashlight.

If you go that route, I would recommend you have the waistcoat made by a local tailor. Welch makes some great suspenders; not cheap, but definitely made in USA.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
seksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brandon
seksilumpia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I HIGHLY commend you .... for wanting to keep your pants up and avoiding unnecessary plumbers cleavage.

I work in a factory myself and its all about comfort & convenience and it ain't no fashion show!!

Whatever suspenders you buy, they probably have various utility pouches/ accessories to hold various things.
made me think of this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I wear my pants at my waist. With a belt, too! Can't stand that 'sagging' crap everyone else likes to do these days. Don't wear hats with flat bills, either. The bill is supposed to be rounded to keep the sun out of your eyes, after all. Nor do I color-coordinate and have a pair of obscenely bright colored shoes to wear with every outfit. I gots my jeans, t-shirts, and camo boots- don't feel a need to match any better.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
ToyotaTRD will become famous soon enoughToyotaTRD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfinger View Post
Before WW2 (or thereabouts...), suspenders were the normal way to keep pants up, regardless of how formal the attire. Waistcoats/vests were a typical part of a man's suit, as well, and even blue-collar workers wore them. Unless your work phone is particularly large, it should fit in a waistcoat pocket pretty easily, and you can always use a beltloop for its original intended purpose, to hang something, like your flashlight.

If you go that route, I would recommend you have the waistcoat made by a local tailor. Welch makes some great suspenders; not cheap, but definitely made in USA.
I can't do the waistcoat. I wear enough layers as it is in order to be fire retardant compliant. I'll check out welch. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I ear suspenders with my carpenter's apron
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at suspenders as well. I want a set that attaches either to a belt, or a set that attaches to the belt loops. The latter would allow me to use the suspenders w/wo a belt. Primarily need it for wearing a a belt holster and putting most of the weight of my revolvers on my shoulders instead of the hips. I have shoulder holsters, but I also want to carry one on the hip if I need to wear a backpack.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
nanu nanu
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
I wish I could edit my thread title. If a mod has the ability, please change it to wear instead of ear. I think I'm going to go with something like these. http://www.holdup.com/nobuzz.htm I want a three point suspender. I don't want any metal because I work around high voltage. They actually make FR suspenders but they are designed to work with a belt.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I wear suspenders (braces) with a suit or sport coat & tie and usually get some nice remarks from the ladies ...

Also have some regular suspenders for my work jeans when I am crawling around in the dirt ...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I wore suspenders on my gear belt in the Stan and wear them with my suit sometimes when I forget my belt (I travel some and left my belt at home last time). Suspenders can be great. Don't let the dumb dumbs deter you.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #16
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I wear Perry suspenders. They work only with a belt. The company makes several versions, one a heavy duty variety that is great for supporting heavy tools, pistols, etc. They are made in the US.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
I wear Perry suspenders. They work only with a belt. The company makes several versions, one a heavy duty variety that is great for supporting heavy tools, pistols, etc. They are made in the US.
I saw those and I like everything except you need a belt. Just seems silly wearing both I guess. I see plenty of guys with and without the belt while wearing suspenders. My whole objective is to just ditch the belt for comfort.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
seems kind of hipsterish
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I ear suspenders with my carpenter's apron
i'm earing suspending right now..
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
seems kind of hipsterish
It's for work. I see what you mean though. Outside of work I wear a belt but they do make under the shirt suspenders for keeping them out of view.