1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need help picking a hard tonneau cover.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by tacomalimited, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    tacomalimited

tacomalimited [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 tacoma limited double cab Short bed 4x4.
    I was originally thinking of going with the undercover flex,and a pop and lock.but I have heard that it's possible to open that cover and the Bak version of it,with a coat hanger.Now I'm not sure which one to get.I don't think I want the kind that opens like a trunk lid,since I carry big items occasionally,and I rarely have anyone to help me take it off.I thought about the Roll n . lock,but,I really don't like the vinyl covering.What should I do?help!!

2. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
  3. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Have you looked at these ??

http://autocustoms.com/p-684-pace-edwards-jackrabbit-tonneau-cover.aspx

I have one of these on my '07 Ridgeline and it works great even after 6 years of NH/Maine winters and Floridas sun & sand...

It does have the lock BUT the Hondas tailgate does not.

My favorite part of this; my wife uses it with ease and that is with the tailgate opened either way.... Happy wife, happy life....completely weather proof...her soccer equipment stays high & dry year round...:cool:

Yes, they are pricey up front BUT any cover that can last 6 + years in New England is worth something ...;)

4. Mar 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    tacomalimited

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the replys! I just have a few questions,1st one is for krob32,if the covers doesn't have the string pulls to open it,what does it have,and,I need a locking tailgate for this to be secure,correct?My next question is for snoope,do I need a locking tailgate in order for this cover to be secure?I know the Roll n lock don't,but,I don't like the vinyl covering on the Roll n locks.thanks for your help!

5. Mar 10, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    You will need to add a Pop & Lock for virtually any folding tonneau to secure the tailgate. I'm not so sure about is the G4 Elite. It was too much trouble to install and fully remove for my needs. The cover uses clamps in the front and rear for security. You will see pics in the review.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  6. Mar 10, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4

No on the Pace.....With the key,you can lock the cover in place....My Dad did that just to keep the lock working properly and I guess to deter anyone from trying to open it up....I simply spray lock-graphite in it every oil change and work the Key back and forth...;)...As I stated above, my wife uses this faithfully EVERY Saturday morning for R&R of her soccer equipment and even with the snow it performs perfectly ( I don't here a word about it :p )...only true PM is too keep the slides clean and drain hoses connected; there are 2 up front that take all of the run off down into drain holes in the bed......PLUS the canister it rolls up into has taken a few shots...my granddaughters 4-wheeler has bounced off it more than a few times...if you didn't see it happen, you would not know it...built tough ...:cool:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  7. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    tacomalimited

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    thanks for everyones help!I'm kinda leaning toward getting the pace edwards or the fold a cover g4 elite.That way,I don't have to add a lock to the tailgate.

Products Discussed in

To Top