Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

3 TW Members Treated Like Convicted Felons

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
3 TW Members Treated Like Convicted Felons

So before I go on, I want to say this. I have a tremendous respect for LEO's and this is NOT....I REPEAT......NOT a cop bashing thread. I just want some honest opinions on the subject.

**Mods, if this gets out of hand, feel free to lock/delete the thread**

Yesterday, myself and 2 other SoCal TW members were taking apart my hub/bearing on the driver's side to replace the wheel bearing which is going bad. We were taking Brad's truck to the shop to press out and press in the bearings, when we started being followed by a Fountain Valley PD. He was running our plates, by the looks of it, and following us without lights or any instructions. Brad tried to see if he was indeed following us by making a last minute, but safe, lane change onto the 405 northbound. The cop followed abruptly and got on the freeway with us. After 2 minutes of driving 65mph, the cop right behind us, I see a CHP flying towards us from behind code 3 with lights/sirens, etc. He gets behind the FVPD car. Then after another 30 seconds, a Westminister Dodge Charger LEO gets on the freeway and falls behind the CHP. Then another CHP comes up behind the Westminster PD. All lights are off, in a single file line behind Brad's truck.

We were completely confused as to what was going on. Brad has a clean record, and no warrants or anything like that. Then, the car right behind us turns on his lights. We pull over just passed Beach Blvd, keys on the dash, windows all down, hands on the steering wheel like he's supposed to. PA instructs him to throw the keys from the truck. We look back, they blocked off the entire northbound 5 lanes, and then I hear a chopper above us.

The 3 of us are COMPLETELY freaked out, no idea what's happening whatsoever. But we remained calm, and did exactly as they instructed. One by one, we were told to exit the truck, hands on our heads with our collars pulled up from behind, walk backwards, told to go down on our knees, and were each handcuffed and manhandled into separate cars with ABSOLUTELY NO explanation as to why. There were at least 11 officers there with guns drawn on us, crouched behind their doors as we walked backwards towards them.

After 45min - 1 hour, with INCREDIBLY tight handcuffs, my hands were both totally numb. No feeling at all. After complaining about it twice, I asked if they could be loosened and they tried to but it was 1 click and no help there.

20 minutes later, a supervisor opened the door of the car, and asked if I wanted to know what was going on. I obviously said yes. Their story is that Brad's plates and vehicle description are an exact match for a robbery in 2012 in LA. There was no arrest made, and we were being detained. He said he's going to take the cuffs off me and give me and the other guys a ride back to Brad's, but they're towing his truck to LA to be impounded. The detective on that case is on vacation this week, and was not able to come down to look at the vehicle.

The crime in question may have been reported by a security guard that saw Brad's truck in the area that night and linked it to a robbery in the area. The case is VERY vague, nobody had a straight answer for us. They took all our information, and said they probably will not contact me or Ryan, but Brad needs to call some number to inquire on the case and how to get his truck back later this week.

So Brad is without his truck, the three of us have bruises on our wrists, and were held at gunpoint on the 405 freeway all because of a robbery that he is NOT being charged with. My wrists are killing me today, and they're both swollen and have red marks all over them. I've never been in any kind of trouble, so needless to say this is the first time I was cuffed.......by a male at least

Is this standard procedure? Can I file some kind of a complaint? I was treated like a damn criminal on the busiest freeway in SoCal and detained for over 1 hour with NO answer to why I had cuffs on, why Brad's truck is being searched, and why ANY of this was happening. After talking to Brad and Ryan, neither of them had any answers from FVPD, Westminster PD, or CHP until we were on the drive home in the supervisor's cruiser.

Thanks.

pic of us on the way home.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
frog
jamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Damn son.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, some extra unwanted fun that rates a zero on the fun scale.

If I understand the post, I guess the reason is clear...if the tags AND truck were I.D.ed. Sucks if was an error... How well do you know your buddies?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
damn. idk ill do some research but it aint my field of work. seems very odd.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
paul064 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
paul064's Tacoma Gallery
I think that with the info the officers had, they conducted a felony traffic stop correctly. Although, I would not like to be on the other end of the barrell. I can see why you are a little pissed, but I wouldn't bother trying to file a complaint. I don't live or work in CA, but that dosen't sound too much different than how that same scenario would go here in FL. It sounds like they acted within their policies and procedures even though it ruined your day.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Brad is 100% in the clear. He's a 22 year old Afghanistan Veteran with a legitimate job and also in college, and he happens to be my best friend. He has done NOTHING wrong. Many members in SoCal know him well, and can vouch for that. He has been in that area before, but not to commit any crimes.

They better not charge him to get the truck back. That would total BULLSHIT. Poor guy has to have his gf drive him around until he gets the truck back.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Given recent event's, I'd say you're lucky they didn't fill the truck with holes!
I'd be happy with sore wrists given that alternative

Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
The actual story.....they though you were Chris Dorner, who is still at large.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul064 View Post
I think that with the info the officers had, they conducted a felony traffic stop correctly. Although, I would not like to be on the other end of the barrell. I can see why you are a little pissed, but I wouldn't bother trying to file a complaint. I don't live or work in CA, but that dosen't sound too much different than how that same scenario would go here in FL. It sounds like they acted within their policies and procedures even though it ruined your day.
X2 felony stops are never fun being on the wrong side of one, but from what you said it seems like they followed procedure. sucks they kept the truck tho. There shouldnt be any impound fees charged to your friend if theres nothing on the truck

Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
sub

Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Given recent event's, I'd say you're lucky they didn't fill the truck with holes!
I'd be happy with sore wrists given that alternative
lol, I was about to say something like that.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul064 View Post
fuck that, file a complaint. The worst that can happen is that...nothing happens. What have you got to lose?

Secondly, Brad should be fully compensated for the arrest and the impound of his truck after this little incident. Let us know how it goes. If he has to pay a cent for this I would be furious.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Right on, that sux...given the exact tag/truck match I understand it but, man to grab the wrong cat mskes one questions the source of the info.

As it sounds, the coppers were acting on what was thought to be legit info so I doubt I'd pursue a complaint.

Best of luck to all involved...keep us posted.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #18
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
fuck that, file a complaint. The worst that can happen is that...nothing happens. What have you got to lose?

Secondly, Brad should be fully compensated for the arrest and the impound of his truck after this little incident. Let us know how it goes. If he has to pay a cent for this I would be furious.
What does he have to loose? Time, patience, sanity. Nobody's gonna give two shits about his wrists given the circumstances. He was cuffed, not kicked in the balls.

He won't have to pay anything if it's wrongfully impounded...and nobody got arrested. Sheesh....speed read much?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Ever get that drivers side wheel bearing fixed?

Closed Thread