Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Transport a cat or two?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
TDubber is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
TDubber's Tacoma Gallery
Transport a cat or two?

So at the end of March I am moving from PA to CA and will be driving the whole way in my DCSB with my GF (trailer in tow). We are super pumped about the move but still have one dilemma, our two cats. We've thought about bringing them with us. It's a long drive and just wondering if anyone has moved/driven multiple days with a cat or two? Got any ideas to utilize the rear seat area? I've driven two hours with the older cat and he took a crap (in the litter box) during the drive and it was the worst. I really almost vomited from the smell.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
The guy on shipping wars drives everywhere with his cat. Definitely do-able. They just sleep most of the ride probably. My cat sits/sleeps on my lap when I take him places. Longest I've driven with him was 6 hours. He only goes to the bathroom once a day (usually at night) so I didn't have to deal with that.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of

Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
We had my brother's cat in a uhaul truck for three days and she "disappeared" for all three days. we did stop everynight to sleep in a hotel though. She didn't meow or get "pissed" off.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
Tagged for hilarious pics and stories of strapping two cats to the top of your truck in a cat carrier...
Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Moved from Minot, ND to Spokane, WA when I was a kid, I remember the 2 cats being completely pissed off in their carriers. Once we let them ride in the same carrier they were a little better, still vocal but not nearly as bad. Could you possibly get a sedetive for them from your vet?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Keep them in separate carriers. Keep both carriers close enough so that you can touch the cats and talk to them and reassure them. They are big babies when it comes to long car trips and they will whine and probably barf too. Just reassure them as best you can, and make frequent stops but don't let them out of the carriers unless you are inside.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
FALlover is a jewel in the roughFALlover is a jewel in the roughFALlover is a jewel in the rough
FALlover's Tacoma Gallery
go to your vet and get a script for cat prozac. get them started on it before you move, needs to build up in their system. when you go to move use it to sedate them. place in cats in separate carriers. move. stop giving prozac to cats, unless you like them to be lethargic
Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
This x2......

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
TDubber is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
TDubber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Tagged for hilarious pics and stories of strapping two cats to the top of your truck in a cat carrier...
Haha i can only imagine. My one cat would probably enjoy that, he is more like a dog and loves the outdoors.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Way back when, I used to bring the one guy home from college for vacations (2 hour drive). At first I kept him in the carrier but later trips he actually enjoyed walking around and exploring. Any thoughts on letting them roam and have a liter box in the back seat for them to use when needed?

We would like to sight see on the drive which would be difficult... Especially since I wanted to camp a night or two out west.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadTaco View Post
This x2......

Dude...that cat is PISSED! As soon as he is let free he's going to go all spider mokey on your ass!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Space bags.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I had one in a truck with me for 2 days when I moved. I bought 3 cheap towels and kept them in the crate with her. When nature called, I just threw the towel away and put a fresh one in (also rinsed out the crate). It wasn't ideal, but I was moving and didn't really have any other options.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
We have one cat that travels pretty well in our lap. The other gets scared and pisses himself. For short trips they make a tranquilizer drink (basically kitty alcohol) and you keep them buzzed the whole time. Probably not ideal for a multiple day trip though...no one wants a pussy with a hangover.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
We have one cat that travels pretty well in our lap. The other gets scared and pisses himself. For short trips they make a tranquilizer drink (basically kitty alcohol) and you keep them buzzed the whole time. Probably not ideal for a multiple day trip though...no one wants a pussy with a hangover.
You suggesting he roofie his pussy....cat?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #15
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/iOxUzdJt8zA
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
whiptastic handling
FoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud of

Army: E-3
Name: Shamus
FoundOffRoadDead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Dude...that cat is PISSED! As soon as he is let free he's going to go all spider mokey on your ass!
LOL! sorry, they should be just fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
whiptastic handling
FoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud of

Army: E-3
Name: Shamus
FoundOffRoadDead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
Dam you now i am watching all the top gear crap.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundOffRoadDead View Post
Dam you now i am watching all the top gear crap.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #19
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
when my family moved, the cat was kinda scared for the first part of the ride. after an hour he got over it and slept on the cooler for the rest of the trip. Just make sure they have a place to crap, and make sure you can easily get rid of it once they do cause it will stink up your truck. But they should be fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #20
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
All my cats have been indoor/outdoor cats. I have moved with a couple of them, and both slowly disappeared once I got to where I was going. One just moved a street over -- I hadn't seen him in a month or two, and when I was walking the dog around the block once he popped out from under a car, followed us home, hung out for a bit and then went back to his new place. He was a lot heavier, so I can understand his decision.

When we moved to Missouri, we just found a local home for our cat and left her back in TX. But, we live by the philosophy that you don't really own a cat, they kind of do what they want. We have had temporary cats as well that just show up and hang out for a bit.

Sorry, I know that wasn't too helpful. Maybe if you have relatives that can keep them until you get to CA, then ship them?