1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Time Home Buyer here! No idea what I'm doing.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by MxRacer190, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mar 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Okay, I'm 23 years old, and I'm looking to buy a house. I've done a little research, and know I need to get a pre-approved mortgage. But, I don't know how to even begin to do that. I don't even know what questions to ask.

Any advice from any experienced home buyers, especially first time home buyers? I figure, a $50-$60k house is cheaper per month than renting an apartment, why not?

2. Mar 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Bubbarr

Bubbarr Monkey Sweat

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    SD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road 4X4
    DynoLock Auto tailgate lock, 16" Konig Counter steer Off roads, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2.5 King front and rear with remote reservoir, Built Right UCA, Deaver 3 pack, SD Truck Shop Custom Sliders.
    I found a good Realtor.

3. Mar 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Im 24. I bought a house last year. Im also a mortgage underwriter( the guy who says Yes or No). Buying now is smart. To get a pre- approval go into wherever you normally bank with a paystub and w2. Ask to meet with a branch loan officer. They will input you income the price of the house you plan to purchase and that amount of cash you wish to put down. Might take a couple days but they should send you a pre-approval letter.

4. Mar 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    Try to find a broker or agent and they can get the ball rolling for you.
    I was in the same position you're in, so I went and got my real estate license. Did the transaction myself through a broker friend of mine.

5. Mar 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    I'm a home mortgage processor. Maybe I can help.

The first step is to know exactly what you're looking for. Getting a preapproval is key to knowing you can get the loan in the first place. They will run the numbers and tell you what you can afford based on income, tax returns, liabilities, and credit history. The pre-approval is done using a desktop underwriter or DU. It's a program that calculates risk and tells you whether or not the lender will loan you the money given the circumstances. Then to find a realtor who has a good reputation, and make sure you know how much his/her office charges and if it's in your budget. Let them know exactly what you want, size, area, taxes, condition, etc. They will pull up all the MLS results for properties matching your criteria and show you the listings. When you find a home you like, you can apply for a loan with a mortgage company, broker shop, or bank. Realtors will often suggest using their lenders, because it makes the process run smoother.

A typical approval takes about a week after you supply the mortgage company with all the necessary documentation for the type of loan that best fits your needs. After you are approved for the loan amount you are trying get, you can place an offer on the house and open escrow if the offer or counteroffer is accepted. In my company, loans usually close within 30 days, and escrow usually the same if not a little more. Once escrow is closed and you have signed the paperwork and the title is transferred to you, you can move in.

Hope that helps. Best to consult a certified Realtor. Not just a real estate agent.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. Mar 12, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I think the first step is the find a good realtor, ask friends and family if they know anybody good in your area. Also, see what type of state mortgage programs you might have, and don't rule out getting a mortgage from local banks. This is just my personal experience but I would try to avoid getting a mortgage through a broker.

My wife and I bought our first place a few years ago and wouldn't have had a clue without our realtor to help us. We first applied for a mortgage through a mortgage broker who did a terrible job, so we dropped him and found a local bank who found us a great mortgage rate through a state-owned program.

7. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    I agree about contacting a Realtor. That is what they do, and if you find a good one you will be in good shape. I will say that if I didn't get bounced around so much for work, I wish I could've bought a double block in a nice area when I was your age. A friend of mine did that, he lived in one side and rented the other. His tennant paid his mortgage and he basically lived there for free. Then he moved out, rented both sides, and bought a single family home after he got married. He makes a decent amount off that rental property.
    I know things don't always work out that nice (finding a good deal, tennant, etc.), but it worked for him. Another friend of mine is in the process of doing the same thing.
    I didn't end up buying until I was married and we didn't want to worry about who is on the other side, moving, etc. But when I was single I wouldn't have cared about that. haha

Good luck!! Just take your time and don't rush through the process, do your research. It is a big decision and responsibility.

Products Discussed in

To Top