1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Someone enlighten me as to why people in motorsports are considered athletes.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TeamSarcasm, Mar 11, 2013.

?

Are nascar/f1/le mans drivers athletes

Poll closed Apr 10, 2013.
  1. Athletes

69.2%
  2. Not Athletes

30.8%
  1. Apr 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    All those illegal immigrants, Totally considered american cause there in america.

2. Apr 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    Andres

Andres Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road
    Exactly!
    And all Olympians are in fact athletes. If the OP claims a driver doesnt do much other than just drive why wouldnt this sport be banned from the Olympics?

3. Apr 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    wareagle1

wareagle1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    Curling is an Olympic sport as well. Just saying the activity you participate in does not deem you an athlete. Professional race car drivers are just really, really good at operating a piece of machinery.

4. Apr 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Ermahgerd

5. Apr 9, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    916 YATES

916 YATES Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB Grey TRD Sport
    emblems and decals removed, added TRD special edition badges, Sway A Way's front and rear, SCS stealth 6's, Toyo A/T II 265/70/17
    I am not offended. Thank you for creating controversy, even if you don't believe it yourself. To say pro racers are not athletes is absurd, just look at your responses. Racing is in either in your blood or not, Took me 41 years to realize we are not all wired the same. I am not a professional racer, though I would have traded a lot of things to be one. I have raced go karts, I have driven real race cars on Sears Point and Thunder Hill. I ride race motor-cross bikes for fun. It was only recently that I realized, not everyone has the drive to compete in motor sports, the ones that do are lucky to be paid for what they love. They are athletes that train to physical condition their bodies, for the time it is all on the line. This includes control over heart rates, physical endurance, hydration, diet, and the mental confidence to hold the throttle on one second longer than the guy next to you. FULL THROTTLE TILL YOU SEE GOD, THEN TURN!:yay:

6. Apr 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Of course, surgery isn't a sport. Racing is.

sport | spôrt | noun
    1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

athlete |ˈaTHˌlēt | noun
    1. A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

7. Apr 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    Absolutely man! MX, SX, and even Trail Riding on dirt bikes is as physical as sports come! Have the cajones to come off a turn and hit a triple on your 450 is insane. Same thing with looking at a hill climb. Auto racing of any type takes guts to try and squeeze every little MPH to beat your opponent to the corner or finish line!

Products Discussed in

To Top