Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Someone enlighten me as to why people in motorsports are considered athletes.

View Poll Results: Are nascar/f1/le mans drivers athletes
Athletes 139 69.15%
Not Athletes 62 30.85%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #321
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just going to leave this hear to tick off any NASCAR haters. This was was Sunday, and I'm recording. Freaking awesome. Takes some skill to do that guys

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps236f9f67.mp4
Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #322
You don't win friends with salad.
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP- Why dont you like race car drivers?
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #323
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
A trained surgeon has to stand on his/her feet for up to hours at a time, with mind-bending concentration and precision hand-eye coordination, and gets paid very well to do it. Is that person an athlete? No. Race car drivers are great at what they do, and can do it better than anyone else out there. Still does not make them an athlete.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #324
Andres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
Andres's Tacoma Gallery
Riddle me this Batman, why do the winter OLYMPICS have Luge as a winter olympic sport? You're going to tell me that the guy riding doesn't do anything but sit and hope to win the race? Why is the driver still considered an olympian?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #325
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres View Post
Riddle me this Batman, why do the winter OLYMPICS have Luge as a winter olympic sport? You're going to tell me that the guy riding doesn't do anything but sit and hope to win the race? Why is the driver still considered an olympian?
The driver is considered an Olympian because he is in the Olympics.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #326
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle1 View Post
All those illegal immigrants, Totally considered american cause there in america.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #327
Andres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
Andres's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Exactly!
And all Olympians are in fact athletes. If the OP claims a driver doesnt do much other than just drive why wouldnt this sport be banned from the Olympics?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres View Post
Exactly!
And all Olympians are in fact athletes. If the OP claims a driver doesnt do much other than just drive why wouldnt this sport be banned from the Olympics?
Curling is an Olympic sport as well. Just saying the activity you participate in does not deem you an athlete. Professional race car drivers are just really, really good at operating a piece of machinery.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #329
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Curling is an Olympic sport as well. Just saying the activity you participate in does not deem you an athlete. Professional race car drivers are just really, really good at operating a piece of machinery.
Ermahgerd
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #330
916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of916 YATES has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
916 YATES's Tacoma Gallery
Not offended

I am not offended. Thank you for creating controversy, even if you don't believe it yourself. To say pro racers are not athletes is absurd, just look at your responses. Racing is in either in your blood or not, Took me 41 years to realize we are not all wired the same. I am not a professional racer, though I would have traded a lot of things to be one. I have raced go karts, I have driven real race cars on Sears Point and Thunder Hill. I ride race motor-cross bikes for fun. It was only recently that I realized, not everyone has the drive to compete in motor sports, the ones that do are lucky to be paid for what they love. They are athletes that train to physical condition their bodies, for the time it is all on the line. This includes control over heart rates, physical endurance, hydration, diet, and the mental confidence to hold the throttle on one second longer than the guy next to you. FULL THROTTLE TILL YOU SEE GOD, THEN TURN!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #331
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A trained surgeon has to stand on his/her feet for up to hours at a time, with mind-bending concentration and precision hand-eye coordination, and gets paid very well to do it. Is that person an athlete? No. Race car drivers are great at what they do, and can do it better than anyone else out there. Still does not make them an athlete.
Of course, surgery isn't a sport. Racing is.

sport | spôrt | noun
1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

athlete |ˈaTHˌlēt | noun
1. A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #332
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 916 YATES View Post
I am not offended. Thank you for creating controversy, even if you don't believe it yourself. To say pro racers are not athletes is absurd, just look at your responses. Racing is in either in your blood or not, Took me 41 years to realize we are not all wired the same. I am not a professional racer, though I would have traded a lot of things to be one. I have raced go karts, I have driven real race cars on Sears Point and Thunder Hill. I ride race motor-cross bikes for fun. It was only recently that I realized, not everyone has the drive to compete in motor sports, the ones that do are lucky to be paid for what they love. They are athletes that train to physical condition their bodies, for the time it is all on the line. This includes control over heart rates, physical endurance, hydration, diet, and the mental confidence to hold the throttle on one second longer than the guy next to you. FULL THROTTLE TILL YOU SEE GOD, THEN TURN!
Absolutely man! MX, SX, and even Trail Riding on dirt bikes is as physical as sports come! Have the cajones to come off a turn and hit a triple on your 450 is insane. Same thing with looking at a hill climb. Auto racing of any type takes guts to try and squeeze every little MPH to beat your opponent to the corner or finish line!