Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Someone enlighten me as to why people in motorsports are considered athletes.

View Poll Results: Are nascar/f1/le mans drivers athletes
Athletes 139 69.15%
Not Athletes 62 30.85%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Someone enlighten me as to why people in motorsports are considered athletes.

Excluding motorcycles of course.

This does not make any sense to me, we might as well call an 8 hour checkers match an athletic event.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Uh , F1 drivers have to deal with up to 5G's under braking and cornering multiple times per lap for 60 laps
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So the companies choose fit people who can handle the g's

You can be trained to with stand some g's, just as you can be trained to fire a big gun. Does not mean your an athlete.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Uh , F1 drivers have to deal with up to 5G's under braking and cornering multiple times per lap for 60 laps
not to mention being light/fit is a requirement, every lb (or KG for you guys) counts in that sport.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Have a look through the F1 driver's line up and pick out the porker non-athletes for me

I'll wait here
Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Now some stupid type of racing like NASCAR... those guys are not athletes at all.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
If golf is considered why not motor sports .
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have a look through the F1 driver's line up and pick out the porker non-athletes for me

I'll wait here
lulz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
nice
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Spend a couple hours dealing with high G forces and continuous control inputs on a vehicle traveling at 200MPH and see what you think about it then. I've never done it, but I know if I ever try, I'm gonna eat my Wheaties before I strap into the car. On a day when I've not had enough rest, or enough of the right food, or am poorly hydrated, I think there is a good chance I'd get myself hurt. I consider myself to be above average in the fitness department. Someone who is a couch potato and is having their best day physically is probably equivalent to me when I am having a bad day.

50 year old guy with a beer belly driving a midget racer around the track for 10 minutes is a bit different than trying to race NASCAR. Endurance is a factor.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #11
I bring the feel goods

Quote:

I'll wait here
So I guess I retract the statement for f1.....and (probably) le mans, but its still intact for nascar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Not that I really agree with golf begin a sport....but you can fine tune the body to do the said activity, which will get better.

The thing with racing...you can fine tune your body all you want but that is not producing the actual performance, the car is.

Get the best driver in the world and stick him ina shitty car and he will undoubtedly loose.

take the best golfer in the world and give him a shitty pair of clubs and he still stand a chance.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
ath·lete
/ˈaTHlēt/
Noun
A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
Synonyms
sportsman
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
So the companies choose fit people who can handle the g's

You can be trained to with stand some g's, just as you can be trained to fire a big gun. Does not mean your an athlete.
So are you saying in order to be a genuine athlete, you have to do something that employs abilities and strengths that cannot be trained?

Yes, natural ability plays into how successful a person is, or may become at a given sport, but it isn't everything.

I don't really want to get into the define athlete debate, but that's really where this is headed
Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
gah....shoulda typed faster...
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
I bring the feel goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIst8ofMIND View Post
ath·lete
/ˈaTHlēt/
Noun
A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
Synonyms
sportsman

You know what a physical activity is? Something that uses more energy that resting.

You know what the true definition of resting is? Laying down supine in a dim room, eyes shut not moving.

Walking is a physical activity by definition, if you want to play the definition game
Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #18
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I don't understand how you can say CC Sabathia is an athlete and then not include drivers?

Captain Cheeseburger!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
I bring the feel goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I don't understand how you can say CC Sabathia is an athlete and then not include drivers?

Quote:

Baseball is one of those boarder line "athletes". But seeing how they can train their bodies to directly better the sport, they are more of an athlete than drivers. There are countless players with out the gut
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0F440kkFC8
Tell me more about how nascar drivers aren't athletes?