LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Public Education - is this a joke?

Old 03-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Public Education - is this a joke?

I'll avoid the political aspects of this, but I really think public education in the US is going to hell, fast. I'm a teacher in a high school and next week 10th graders have to take a state mandated standardized english test. OK, that's normal, but the test is scheduled for 3 days and they aren't testing on weds. because.....wait for it...

IT'S THE MOTHER F*&CKING EQUINOX!!

Since when is the flipping spring equinox considered any type of holiday? Seriously, between the 2000 different religious groups all demanding their own recognition and the generally accepted parental attitude that "everybody is a winner" it's no wonder the rest of the world kicks our ass in education. Don't even get me started on the males in class who are 17 and still momma's boys. OK, rant over.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Never heard of this.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know why we don't do like Japan does for their kids, 6 days a week, 10 hours a day.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
thats weird. Down with standardized testing!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I don't know why we don't do like Japan does for their kids, 6 days a week, 10 hours a day.
We couldnt afford to pay teachers enough to be at school for 10 hours a day!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
You are probably right. *Insert snark comment at the government*
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Parents here wouldn't go for it. Seriously, the parents are the kids own worst enemy.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
Nah, everyone could just be like Dallas ISD and extend the workday without extra compensation.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
It is amazing what the teacher's union can work into their contract.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
Parents here wouldn't go for it. Seriously, the parents are the kids own worst enemy.
^ this is why Johnie got all "D's" and still passed.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
^ this is why Johnie got all "D's" and still passed.
No joke, a few months ago I had to sit down with some parent's because they were concerned I didn't "like" little Johnie. Seriously, lil' Johnnie was a senior. I would have rather had a bucket of blood poured on me at prom than have my parents tell my teachers I was sad because they didn't like me.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
DueToThe802 has much to be proud ofDueToThe802 has much to be proud ofDueToThe802 has much to be proud ofDueToThe802 has much to be proud ofDueToThe802 has much to be proud ofDueToThe802 has much to be proud ofDueToThe802 has much to be proud ofDueToThe802 has much to be proud ofDueToThe802 has much to be proud of

Name: Sean
DueToThe802's Tacoma Gallery
Standardized tests are terrible. Also the entire school system. But I think it's a lack of nurturing actual problem solving and critical thinking. Schools just make kids learn to spit back info, then forget it once they move to the next chapter (I guess math might be a little different)
Don't worry op, some kids are just going to be stuck as kids. Parents won't let them become adults.
At least you don't have me in your class, for all of my standardized tests, I'd write an essay spread out over all the answers about how standardized testing is not good and how funding depends on it is even worse.
I also have an issue with tenured teachers. Same lesson plan for 20 years. Same notes. Same movies. Is that even work?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The parents I work with seem to get more annoyed because of all the half days and BS holidays because they have to figure out what they are going to do with their kids those days. They end up taking a lot of vacation time because their school district has half days once a week.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
TH3DUBBS is on a distinguished road
Name: dubbs
TH3DUBBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't even get me started on the males in class who are 17 and still momma's boys. OK, rant over.
Nothing wrong with being a momma's boy.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
top flight security
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
My high school was seriously a.joke. i had a 4.0 thru hs bc allyou had to do was watch 300 all day everyday in every class its no wonder i failed at college bc my hs didnt teach me shit or get me ready. 5th oldest hs in the country and it seems like the teachers are as old as the damn school
Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #17
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
things are really going downhill nowadays. Everything's about being politically correct and doing as little work as possible.
Pretty sure our failing system is as much to do with the infrastructure of it all as it is with the kids itself.

I'm considering switching my major to secondary education/chemistry with my chem degree too.....
Old 03-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #19
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what the f***, you must have been out of school for a while... This sounds freakin horrible. How about improving the quality and effectiveness of current classes....
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #20
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I learned mostly on my own and honestly I would just give kids basic books and skills to learn before they left school