1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Non-political things that make you say...WTF?!?! (Welcome To Florida!) **NOT CV RELATED** NO TALKY!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by darkturtleninja, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Sep 26, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big words!!!:goingcrazy: I actually understood most of that thanks to my wife. In fact I just learned what trans tibial means yesterday. She's on her last year of physical therapy school and they are covering amputations and prothesis. She said they were talking about degloving in class yesterday and she wasn't 100% sure what it was so I googled it for her and that is how I came to find those pics. As you guessed, that guy degloved his finger. haha

2. Sep 26, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Seeing that finger reminds me of last week. I saw a 75 old guy turn on a belt sander on and grab a block of rubber to try and clean the belt, he put it in a bad place and it caught and yanked a couple of his fingers right into the belt.
    He kinda made a sound like it hurt then turned away quickly, I was expecting to see that it had nicked him. But it ground down one finger tip at about a 45 degree angle all the way back to the cuticle. Also got another finger. Took a fraction of a second.
    If I could've snapped a pic I would've posted it.
    Respect belt sanders like saws.

3. Sep 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Yup, seen the same thing with a bench grinder only it took off half his finger. Never wear gloves with power tools either.

4. Sep 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    If I were him I wouldn't want a damn middle finger that looks like a corndog.

If that happened because of a ring, the same thing happened to my 5th grade teacher. She told us the story of why she only had 4 fingers on her hand, she was hanging something on the wall standing on a chair, the chair flipped underneath her and her ring got caught on the nail. I am sure that was gory.

5. Sep 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    A carpenter that worked for me got his finger caught in the rear of a belt sander where the belt goes up into the body of the sander and it sucked his fingernail out of his finger root and all

6. Sep 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    J88logue

J88logue NorthWest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    son of a bitch..... bunch of finger ouch - i agree about the gloves. Even working with air tools i feel more in control without gloves, Makes me think back to high school when they made it mandatory for everyone to wear gloves while using the shop tools etc...

7. Sep 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    Ouch. Yeah def no gloves.
    I've only imagined how much that would suck. I would almost say he got lucky it didn't get him even worse.

The sander I saw the old guy have the mishap on was a JET vertical edge, just like this one.
    [​IMG]

8. Sep 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    How about paper shredders. The quiet office tool that sits in the corner, no suspects a thing.....

paper-shredder-accident.jpg

9. Sep 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Frederick County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 lug single cab
  10. Sep 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    About 3 years ago we had a guy in my unit shredding whole books in an industrial sized paper shredder and he found out he could insert the books faster with the guard off. Well didn't take too long and he destroyed the tip of one of his index fingers... Doctor just trimmed it up a little and now he has a short finger.

11. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Since we are on the subject:
    Tree trimmer killed by chipper
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3351798

This occurred in 2005. I heard about it in an OSHA meeting when I was working at Anheuser Bush. They were discussing glove safety.
    They said that this tree trimmer had gloves on and the glove snagged on one of the branches which in turn pulled in into and through the wood chipper. The largest recognizable piece of him left was a part of his thumb inside of the glove. His partner was in the tree and watched it all happen and there wasn't anything he could do to help. The e-stop was positioned just far enough away from the front of the chipper that the guy couldn't reach for it himself. Tragic!

Here is another article i found
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/man-killed-in-wood-chipper-identified
    "total morselization of body due to being pulled by a gloved hand into a commercial wood chipper."

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Auto feed machinery is scary shit

13. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    My lunch just got ruined :(

14. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Shit yeah.
    I was clearing wood out of a chain drive disposal on a large component saw at a mill. Well I happened to put my hand a little too close to the sprocket that turns the chain. (chain is about 1 1/2" wide and 40' long). Caught my pinky and started pulling in my hand. Took off the tip and "degloved" about an inch and a half down. lol. Pulled so hard to get her out, thank cheese I was wearing fingerless gloves cause it would've taken my hand. From then on I have never worn gloves working except for shoveling and welding.

15. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I got my Stanfield caught on a rough sawn piece of cedar and it went between the lumber and the table of the thickness planer and started pulling me in , haha

16. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more
    Gloves are bad!!

Except in some situations:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  17. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
  18. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    lol :facepalm:

19. Sep 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    zopperman

zopperman LED & HID positive

Member:
    First Name:
    Zak
    Arlington, VA
    Vehicle:
    03 4Runner
    Lift, 32" Duratracs, sliders, LED light bar, interior LEDs, sweet tunes & sub, OBA, sliders, TRD 16" 6 spoke wheels, CB, HID spotlights, electrical mods, etc.
    speaking of fingers heres mine pre-surgery

[​IMG]

20. Sep 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    One of my Sgt's was a high school basketball ref and they was a game that night and the other ref hadn't showed up and he was never late so my Sgt went to his house to find him. He had gone out to feed his cattle with his bale processor. Well he had problems with the bales sticking I guess and could just give them a kick to get it feeding again. Well he must have caught his leg that time, because all my Sgt found was some pieces of leather from his boots and a whole lots of blood basically...

Skip to about 45 seconds to get the idea of what a bale processor is.
    http://youtu.be/HoSV1Drsy0Y

Products Discussed in

To Top