1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Non-political things that make you say...WTF?!?! (Welcome To Florida!) **NOT CV RELATED** NO TALKY!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by darkturtleninja, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Apr 16, 2015 at 3:38 PM
    Spoon93

Spoon93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rogue valley
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB SR5

Agreed.

Antler less hunts in Oregon are typically harder to get than general seasons. I don't pass on bucks or bulls so long as they're legal. It could be a spike or a massive 6pt, both will fill the freezer.

And yes the Cougar I killed was feeding off house hold pets and Llamas in the small town up in the hills where I hunt. So yes it was a nuisance animal.

If someone is paying thousands to go to Africa and "hunt" exotic animals I am not a fan of them. However, in many cases they are an integral part of conservation to ensure healthy herds and depredation (to healthy levels) in some of the wildlife preserves. The meat & bones and hides go to the tribes and the money goes to the guides who also pay fees to the parks.

To me that is not hunting but so long as it is helping to maintain balance then so be it. The poachers and ass hats who kill everything and leave it are the real bad guys.

2. Apr 16, 2015 at 3:47 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    A big part of that too is the animals are often bred to be hunted. I forget the exact species but a type of Antelope was on the brink of extinction until people came to hunt them and it became profitable to keep them and raise them.

A fat fuck sitting in a shed inside an enclosure to shoot a domesticated endangered animal led in front of them by a guide pretty much on a leash is the farthest thing from hunting IMO but if it's improving peoples lives in the country and saving species from extinction it's worth it.

3. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:00 PM
    Spoon93

Spoon93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rogue valley
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB SR5
    Yeah kind of a lose lose/win BS situation but it has done a lot of good in some areas. Because the "shooting" of exotic game has become big business it has reduced poaching in some areas and increased animal numbers. Take a Safari in Africa, chances are some rich fat fuck is just beyond the horizon paying 20k or so to shoot some animals. Kinda sick and twisted but it keeps them alive for future generations.

One cool thing I did see is you can pay to go on trips with scientists and you "hunt" the animal with a tranquilizer gun. You pose for a picture and they tag it and get some science stuff from them and then off they go.

4. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:02 PM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Killing cougars is trophy hunting, as long as the shooting of woodchucks, prairie dogs, coyotes, and any other animal killed for any purpose other than being an invasive species or food. Cougars don't have any natural predators, only competitors. God forbid someone have fun or a good time regulating the population of an apex predator that has been sanctioned by the fish and game commission.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=overpopulation+of+elephants

5. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Depends on the hunter and what's being hunted.

No, the definition of trophy is "anything taken in war, hunting, competition, etc., especially when preserved as a memento; spoil, prize, or award." or "anything serving as a token or evidence of victory, valor, skill, etc.".

If you apply that to hunting then it would be killing an animal, taking a piece of the animal, such as antlers, and preserving them (aka taxidermy) to show off or remember the hunt. I and plenty of you guys probably know someone with a deer, elk, or moose head on the wall. They would by definition be a trophy hunter.

Most hunters realize this is a bullshit definition because they go out with the intention of getting food but also like to remember their hunts. Most hunters see trophy hunting as paying gobs of money to have someone on a game ranch guide you through killing livestock or killing without the intent of eating the animal (giraffes) and only taking out the head or whatever. Some view it as selective hunting in anyway shape or form.

That's why I posted the link in the first place. Basically the majority of hunters could be considered a trophy hunter. Heck, taking a picture of the kill is considered a trophy by how they are describing it.

In Wyoming, game and fish sees mountain lions, black bears, and gray wolves as trophy killing. Pretty much any big game predator will be considered trophy. You probably see hunting those species the same as hunting coyotes...management.

6. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Yep, we were learning about that in one of my classes. Kinda cool but would suck for the animal. Could you imagine waking up over and over again wondering wtf just happened and why you smell like human? haha.

They have also began selling tags for animals that are sick and dying. Rather than have them die of old age or from sickness, they can make a good chunk of change that can go to help run the national parks and hopefully further protect the animals. There isn't a lot you can do about poachers other than standing guard 24/7 and fighting back. The only way to solve that problem would be to some how devalue what's being poached or do what they did for the white rhino and just remove what it is they are poaching for.

7. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:45 PM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I am not trying to prove anyone wrong. I don't see it as trophy hunting either. I was just trying to explain why I thought the article was a WTF in the first place.

8. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:49 PM
    KayStrait

KayStrait Camburg Girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Kayla
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    '98 Desert Dune SR5 4Runner
    This is now the HUNTING THREAD.. :deadhorse:

9. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Give it a bit and we will be back on track with people having sex with weird things again.

10. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    BabyTaco

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
  11. Apr 16, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I think the only Asians I've ever seen that could dance are the group Waveya.

12. Apr 16, 2015 at 5:10 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    +1

+1

13. Apr 16, 2015 at 5:15 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
  14. Apr 16, 2015 at 5:19 PM
    Old School

Old School You are ignoring covfefe by this member.

Member:
  15. Apr 16, 2015 at 6:48 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
  16. Apr 16, 2015 at 7:04 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or