1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damn telemarketers (story and rant)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 6spdtaco, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mar 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I cannot believe how far these companies will go to screw people over.

Here's the story:
    I have been getting calls all winter long from unavailable numbers asking for one of my employees. It is always someone who I can barely understand because of an accent or poor phone connection. They ask for the employee, always butchering his name. Oddly enough the employee is almost always unavailable or has the day off. One time my employee was around so I gave him the phone, interested in what these people had to say. After a brief conversation he politely stated he was uninterested and to please not call again. No surprise, just a telemarketer trying to sell some bullshit. This was about a month ago.

Last week the calls start again.
    Telemarketer: "Hello, is Joe Smith available?"
    Me: "What is this in regards to?"
    Telemarketer: "Is Joe Smith there?"
    Me: "If you can't tell me what this is about, I can't give you any information."
    After a few more lines of BS I told them to stop calling and hung up.

So now on to today.
    I get a call from an 800#. Again looking for the same employee. I say he isn't here. The woman asks for his personal phone number. I say "absolutely not". I then ask for their name, phone number, and reason for calling. The woman actually gave me her first name, #, and company name.
    She made sure to use the company's abbreviated name CPD. I could barely make out what she said, and asked two more times what the company was. She wouldn't give me the full company name, just CPD.

Somewhere in the mind numbing conversation I gave the person my first name. This is where it gets interesting.

I get a call 5 minutes later from my employee. He told me someone called him and said I had given them his cell phone #. They also said I had recommended him for a $25,000 loan! He was furious that this "company" had his phone number.

After convincing him that I would never give out his personal information to anyone, I told him I was going to call them back and complain. I dial the number the woman gave me and get to a directory for CPD, Custom Pay Day. After a few minutes on hold I get someone and immediately ask to speak to their supervisor. Without question, I get transfered(get compaints much?). A few more minutes on hold and another person picks up. I calmly ask if they can help explain why someone from their company would create lies about me. Without hesitation, the woman calmly and politely asks for more details.(I think she has experience with irate people...) I explain the situation and she asks if she would like me to have her call him back to apologize. WTH, don't call him again!

I tell her that it is completely inappropriate to use my name to assist with their solicitations. To use me as an excuse for possessing someones number and calling them is ridiculous. The telemarketer even told me that they already had my employees phone number before calling me. They basically were just phishing for a name to use to deflect blame for their unwanted calls.

F telemarketers. Feel free to call Janine of Custom Pay Day for some money at 800-383-4025 because apparently they are desperate to give people loans.

And sorry for rambling.

2. Mar 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    That's why I don't even answer unknown numbers. If they don't leave a legitimate voicemail, I consider them fake.

3. Mar 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    ToyotaTacoma4Ever

ToyotaTacoma4Ever Get Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Tacoma Sport
    Check Out The S/C Build
    That's quite the story, usually when I get these calls their nothing but surveys. Whenever I do see a 1-800# come up I don't answer them anymore.

4. Mar 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    It was at work. I have to answer every phone call because customer service makes the business work.

5. Mar 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Pieces of shit....

6. Mar 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Most of those things are off shore and there is not a damn thing you can do about it nor can the Gov. just hang up.

7. Mar 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Get on the 1800 DO NOT CALL LIST.
    You need to reapply every year or so.
    If they persist-REPORT THEM.
    Calls will stop.

8. Mar 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    My work phone rings pretty much every morning around 8:36 from
    319-242-7353

City/State:Clinton, IACountry:United States

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. Mar 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    6spdtaco

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    So I got another call about 30 min. after I did the OP.

Different number, same bullshit. This time I had fun with them. I got them pissed off!

After answering the phone there was a long pause and then a click (standard telemarketer phone pickup).

Tele: "This is blah blah with blah blah blah. (said really fast so I couldn't understand) I'm looking for an employment verification."
    (Keep in mind this is a woman with a deep southern accent on a poor phone connection. I am convinced they do this initially in the conversation to get the person who answers to become engaged in the conversation because they can't hear WTF was just said.)
    Me: "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?"
    Tele: "I'm looking for an employment verification."
    Me: "A what?"
    (I heard her the first time)
    Tele: "An EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION." (louder now)
    Me: "What is this about?"
    Tele: "Can I have your name sir?"
    Me: "I'm sorry, I can't provide you with any information until I know what this is about."
    Tele: "I am looking to get an employment verified."
    Me: "Why"
    Tele: "Can I ask who I am speaking with?"
    (Telemarker is becoming noticeable annoyed.)
    Me: "No, I cannot give you any information about myself or anyone else until I know what this is about."
    Tele: "This is about employment verification and I already gave you my name."
    Me: "What does that mean?"
    Tele: "You don't understand what employment verification is?"
    Me: "No, I understand the concept just fine. I just don't understand why a strange person who refuses to identify themselves or their business would want to know about my company's employment verification."
    Tele: "Sir, I am simply looking to get an employment verification."
    Me: "Ma'am, I simply cannot provide you with any information at all regarding myself, my business, or my employees."
    Tele: "Well fine, have a nice day sir." (Click)

So here is the icing on the cake. My employee stopped by and while he was at the shop the phone rang. Caller ID shows the same number. I'm like oh shit its the same number! So I hand the phone over to my employee because at this point he is more infuriated than me, and wants to bitch these people out. He spends about 5 minutes on the phone screwing with them before giving them hell for bothering him and his employer and telling them off. This shit is getting ridiculous. We both work tomorrow. I hope they call again. I've got some good ideas for them...

10. Mar 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I fucking hate telemarketers and whatnot
    the church of scientology called me 77 times.

11. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Check with your phone provider. They may have an option to block anonymous calls. You can also block specific numbers if it always comes from the same line.

12. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    In Canada we have a " Do Not Call " list you can register with to block telemarketers but you still end up getting calls from charities and the scammers

13. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    We have that here as well. I don't know if it applies to businesses or not though.

14. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    06 tacoma owner

06 tacoma owner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Madisonville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    Stock...for now
    I always have random phone calls by assholes in Washington for some reason. Pisses me off.

15. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:09 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Doesn't work for off shore junk.

16. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    best thing to do is start sobbing and inform them that the person they called for recently passed away, it sometimes works

17. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    I have an unlisted # and they still found me so I hooked the fax machine up to the phone line and use my cell instead. Let them listen to the fax scream:}}} They can call all they want and I just get a beep prior to them being sscreamed at. No stress and a few chuckles everytime the fax beeps.

18. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Not all the time though. We still get political groups calling for my Nonnie- she's been dead since May 17, 2009. We tell them every time that she's dead, but they still call. Still get mail for her, too.

19. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Now that's freaky. My mother in law still gets mail for her husband who passed away IIRC in 2005.

OP you may be able to contact your phone provider and have them add the numbers to a block list. I just did this on my cell phone because I keep getting telemarketing scams from a 407 area code. Its always the same two numbers so I just added them to my block list. I think it only lasts like 90 days but if they want to keep calling, I'll keep adding the number back. I am also on the do not call list. Guess that does a lot of good...

20. Mar 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    blitton08

blitton08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 XSP White 4D 2WD
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100s set 0 in front with Eibach Springs, 2.5" block in rear with OME Dakar Leaf Springs

Products Discussed in

To Top