Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Wreck involving 2 crashes.. who's at fault?

Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Wreck involving 2 crashes.. who's at fault?

My gf just got in a wreck (she's ok). As she described it, she was turning left from a stop, across 2 lanes, and didn't see a truck in the oncoming left lane because it was hiding behind a big jacked up truck in the right lane. She was hit towards the rear of the car thank god b/c she gassed it to get out of the way. Here's the kicker though, there was a car behind the same truck that hit my gf and I guess they may have been following too close because they hit the truck. So would my gf be responsible for all vehicle's or does she only have to worry about her car and the front of dudes truck? I don't know if the person that hit the rear of the truck got a ticket or not. If they didn't, could they fight in court and get away with not having to pay for their end of the wreck since there's no evidence of them following too close?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming this intersection didnt have cameras?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
As far as insurance goes, it'd be the same event so I'm not really seeing how or why it would matter.

Legally, it would depend on how laws are written in your state, the police report, etc. basically whatever can be proven.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
I had an accident like that.. and the blame goes to the one who caused it in this case your GF.. or so I was told... but that's here in south cali
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
this is for the insurance companies to solve and also, protip...do not post
anything factual or real on the internet about it in case there is litigation... ALL facts and hearsay
anywhere will be scoured for any last bit of info that will make it cost less
for the insurance company and more for those involved, if you know what I am sayin...

example: crossing 2 lanes...immediately everything is on the GF, no one else.

let the insurance company figure it out, not weirdos on the internet like me
Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Here in Tx, if someone in front of you rear ends someone, and that person gets rear ended, it's usually the person that rear ends someone that's at fault. You also get a citation, something along the lines of "Failure to maintain vehicle speed" or something like that.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
thebrick is on a distinguished road

thebrick's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to say. Sounds like it might be hers. Sucks that big truck was in the way.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
If she was turning out into traffic it will most likely be her fault.

The argument will be that if she had not caused the initial accident the second one would not have happened.

However the driver that got into the back of the truck could be cited for following too close/ failure to control speed.

I'm not a cop or a lawyer. Just making an educated guess.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #9
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
The claim can very easily be made that had she not been following so close she could have avoided hitting the truck. However, I'm afraid she will fight that she wasn't at fault bc she just couldn't stop in time or avoid it by switching lanes and there is no proof that she was following too close (grant it, she didn't get a ticket b/c I don't know). I think the general rule is per every 10mph leave a car length gap. In this case, the speed limit was 45 so there should have been a 4 and 1/2 car length between them. You'd think that is enough to stop a small car?!

In most cases in a chain event of rear end wrecks, everyone who hits the car in front of them is at fault. Those between the 1st and last car are at fault as well as victims. The 1st car is at no fault. Each person is liable for their own wreck b/c they were following too close or not paying attention. Same concept could be said for this, right?

I don't know anymore details other than just the basics so I can't give out details even if I wanted to. The cops report and insurance will determine everything, yes. I was just wondering out of curiosity and despite the fact that I'm sure these accidents happen all the time, I've never been in one or knew someone in one until now. So, It had me curious on what people would think. I'm sure there are a few police on this forum who have dealt with accidents like this before, too.