1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wreck involving 2 crashes.. who's at fault?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWaldz, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz [OP] It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    My gf just got in a wreck (she's ok). As she described it, she was turning left from a stop, across 2 lanes, and didn't see a truck in the oncoming left lane because it was hiding behind a big jacked up truck in the right lane. She was hit towards the rear of the car thank god b/c she gassed it to get out of the way. Here's the kicker though, there was a car behind the same truck that hit my gf and I guess they may have been following too close because they hit the truck. So would my gf be responsible for all vehicle's or does she only have to worry about her car and the front of dudes truck? I don't know if the person that hit the rear of the truck got a ticket or not. If they didn't, could they fight in court and get away with not having to pay for their end of the wreck since there's no evidence of them following too close?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm assuming this intersection didnt have cameras?

3. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    As far as insurance goes, it'd be the same event so I'm not really seeing how or why it would matter. :notsure:

Legally, it would depend on how laws are written in your state, the police report, etc. basically whatever can be proven.

4. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    jesus

jesus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jesus
    bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    K&N ram intake & doug exs.
    I had an accident like that.. and the blame goes to the one who caused it in this case your GF.. or so I was told... but that's here in south cali

5. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    this is for the insurance companies to solve and also, protip...do not post
    anything factual or real on the internet about it in case there is litigation... ALL facts and hearsay
    anywhere will be scoured for any last bit of info that will make it cost less
    for the insurance company and more for those involved, if you know what I am sayin...

example: crossing 2 lanes...immediately everything is on the GF, no one else.

let the insurance company figure it out, not weirdos on the internet like me

6. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Here in Tx, if someone in front of you rear ends someone, and that person gets rear ended, it's usually the person that rear ends someone that's at fault. You also get a citation, something along the lines of "Failure to maintain vehicle speed" or something like that.

7. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    thebrick

thebrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frontrange
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L Base
    fox 2.0 remote res toytec UCA all pro add a leaf bilstein 5100 all pro standard bumper hid kit
    Hard to say. Sounds like it might be hers. Sucks that big truck was in the way.

8. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    Specalt

Specalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4
    If she was turning out into traffic it will most likely be her fault.

The argument will be that if she had not caused the initial accident the second one would not have happened.

However the driver that got into the back of the truck could be cited for following too close/ failure to control speed.

I'm not a cop or a lawyer. Just making an educated guess.

9. Mar 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz [OP] It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    The claim can very easily be made that had she not been following so close she could have avoided hitting the truck. However, I'm afraid she will fight that she wasn't at fault bc she just couldn't stop in time or avoid it by switching lanes and there is no proof that she was following too close (grant it, she didn't get a ticket b/c I don't know). I think the general rule is per every 10mph leave a car length gap. In this case, the speed limit was 45 so there should have been a 4 and 1/2 car length between them. You'd think that is enough to stop a small car?!

In most cases in a chain event of rear end wrecks, everyone who hits the car in front of them is at fault. Those between the 1st and last car are at fault as well as victims. The 1st car is at no fault. Each person is liable for their own wreck b/c they were following too close or not paying attention. Same concept could be said for this, right?

I don't know anymore details other than just the basics so I can't give out details even if I wanted to. The cops report and insurance will determine everything, yes. I was just wondering out of curiosity and despite the fact that I'm sure these accidents happen all the time, I've never been in one or knew someone in one until now. So, It had me curious on what people would think. I'm sure there are a few police on this forum who have dealt with accidents like this before, too.

Products Discussed in

To Top