1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cancer survivors?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by xaqori, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    xaqori

xaqori [OP] Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    Do we have anyone on here that has survived cancer?
    I know it's a random question, but I'd like to know.
    If you have survived, how long have you been in remission and what type of cancer did you have?

I'd like to know if I'm alone...
    16 years remission and I had Rabdomyosarcoma (fun name right?) twice. Anyone else?

2. Aug 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    Old thread but I'm a survivor.

Pseudomyxoma peritonei (another fun name...commonly referred to as PMP). Cancer originated in the appendix. Diagnosed in November 2012 with surgeries in November 2012 and January 2013. Remission until August 2014. Another surgery and chemo (HIPEC/hot chemo) in October 2014 that led to remission until my last scan a few weeks ago that show it's back.

Working with the team at UCSD Moores Cancer Center on a plan now but nervous that I don't have many options.

Most of the non-vital organs in my abdomen were removed with the last surgery so I'm without an appendix, 1/3 of my large intestine, the ileum, gallbladder, spleen, a portion of my liver was resected, and several lymph nodes were removed.

The big surgery in 2014 took 11 hours and I spent 16 days in the hospital. I missed 3 months of work recovering and I'm still not 100% nearly 2 years out. Ended up losing 50lbs through the treatment and recovery, of which I've put 15 back on.

There are some promising advancements with immunotherapy and I'm hopeful that I'll be a candidate for either another cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC or that I can join in an immunotherapy trial.

All together I've spend nearly 5 weeks in the hospital for the three major surgeries and I've been under general anesthesia 11 times since the original diagnosis and 7 times in the past 22 months (some days I feel like I've lost a few IQ points each time they put me under).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Jester243 likes this.
  3. Aug 16, 2016 at 8:15 AM
    pagliar

pagliar Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    2016 magnetic grey limited
    I am a survivor. I have lymphoma that settled in my hip bone. Did 6 sessions of chemo and now I have been cancer free for almost two years.

gunn_runner, Jester243 and stickyTaco like this.
  4. Aug 20, 2016 at 7:33 PM
    Cheese

Cheese Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colbert, GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco, TRD SPORT
    Survivor of diffuse scleroderma. Not a typical cancer but it is a terrible auto immune disease. Simply put, imagine every type of connective tissue you have hardening and tightening up. No cure and treatment sucks the big one. Had 14 rounds of chemo hoping to suppress the immune system to slow the progression. Nope. We decided to throw a Hail Mary and had a bone marrow transplant in 2011. I was told I had 2-3 years. Will be 8 years this September. Get multiple opinions and don't be afraid to question your doctors.

5. Aug 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM
    Drewski

Drewski Well-Known Member

Member:
    People's Republic of Chicago
    Vehicle:
    '99 Prerunner SR5 Xtracab 4 cyl auto
    Be strong, man. Have a friend with almost the same history, including surgery; it was tough going for a while, but she fought it hard, came back, got hitched and, incredibly, had a kid.

Belief = the miracle.

stickyTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 31, 2016 at 11:03 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    My Dr at UCSD has confirmed that watch and wait is the best course at the moment. I'll have another MRI scheduled for sometime in October. Then hopefully we can work on a plan to get this shit out of my abdomen.

I was hoping to move faster with this so I can be ready for our baby in January. Not sure how we are going to deal with a 2 year old and a newborn if I have to have another major surgery and chemo.

7. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:37 PM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Blood counts back down. Injectafer infusions scheduled for the next two Fridays and then two more rounds in October.

Need to get my counts back up so I can hopefully qualify for an immunotherapy trial. This peritoneal cancer is persistent but I'm not done fighting yet.

Jester243 likes this.
  8. Sep 13, 2016 at 8:35 AM
    pagliar

pagliar Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    2016 magnetic grey limited
    Keep grinding. Your good positive attitude is essential

stickyTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in